Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 05:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,126,523 times

Advertisements

I watched for the first time in a long while because I was curious about this courting thing. I don't know how they could possibly fall in love without ever having a private conversation, and barely touching. It is practically an arranged marriage.

It seems like the older boys have jobs or have started businesses with the help of their dad, but do the girls have jobs? Are they allowed, or are they just supposed to sit there and wait for their dad to find a husband for them?

I hope one rebels. Not even to the extreme, but maybe just decides to date and use birth control (even if not until marriage) like a normal member of modern society.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,126,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I thought there would have had to be a newer thread, but this is what the search function brought up.
I have been watching lately;with all the courting shows it has really gotten my interest.
My comment or question is actually not related to the courting, but---(-again I am sure you must have discussed this before but I cannot find it)............do they really use PAPER plates all the time?
I only saw a scene with Michele explaining that she cooks the eggs on a low flame and then serving on paper plates. I understand that dishwashing can be a major time and energy consumer with 20 plus but somehow the paper plate thing seems so wasteful.
Do they only do paper at breakfast? Sorry to dwell on a minor point but I figured I would ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I watch the show all the time but I couldn't tell you one way or the other if they use paper plates or not any of the time. If I were to guess I'd say yes. I personally can't imagine washing so many dishes.
But there are so many people to help with the dishes, too. If everyone helped, it wouldn't be too much work.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,815,793 times
Other then the few girls who trained to be a midwife I don't think the girls work or will. It seems like they live the lifestyle of back in the day.
The paper plates issue I can imagine the amount of water they would use is an issue. Also to run the dishwasher. May be worse then environmental issue of paper if that is your concern. Plus they all have so many chores that the time it would take to do all those dishes would take away from the other things they need to do.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 AM

417 posts, read 453,519 times
Totally in agreement that it seems so strange to barely know the person you agree to court and then marry, but I think that in a way, it is similar to how it might have been in the past where there was not very much interaction unchaperoned with those of soon to be marrying age. I think in a way, maybe they decide if there are common values, (family, church, the LAWD and they go in with the attitude that it will work, it does.
(obviously if there is abuse or something really horrible then divorce or annulment or whatever they would deem but basically, it's got to work).
?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM

3,016 posts, read 2,268,232 times
I do admire the example as Christians they set but find some of their dating habits strange. It seems like the parents want to control the kids dating as much as possible. I do not get the chaperon date thing should you have taught your kids well enough what is right and wrong so you do not have to worry about them alone on a date? How are they gonna learn to be alone with that other person if they never are during dating?

Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,047,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Out of 19 kids, at least one will leave the "cult" and think for themselves. They come across as nice people, but I've read studies that show kids who grow up in extreme religious fundamentalism are at a much higher risk for drug abuse and teen pregnancy. I have perfect examples of that in my own family.

I've quit watching this show once the oldest son went to work for the Family Research Council. This proves the Duggars are anti-gay bigots.

I'd like a link to these so-called studies you have allegedly read.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM

862 posts, read 1,641,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Other then the few girls who trained to be a midwife I don't think the girls work or will. It seems like they live the lifestyle of back in the day.
The paper plates issue I can imagine the amount of water they would use is an issue. Also to run the dishwasher. May be worse then environmental issue of paper if that is your concern. Plus they all have so many chores that the time it would take to do all those dishes would take away from the other things they need to do.
Totally agree. It's a catch 22 no matter what the size of the family. I had a friend who never bought paper towels. Just used cloth rags. She saved some paper I guess. But did a hecka lot more laundry than we did.

In some places you can actually put used paper plates in the recycle bin. So it might not be that big of waste.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 AM

98 posts, read 207,824 times
Default 19 Kids and Counting 2014 season

Just a question...

In the season finale Derick asked Jim Bob if he could propose to Jill. In the 'coming up' preview Jim Bob asked Derick how he would support (provide for?) Jill. I missed the actual part of the show where this took place, though, so didn't get to hear Derick's answer. Anyone know what it was?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,231,441 times
Just offered a new job or something like that. Never really did give particulars or what the new job is.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,836,619 times
Jill got married this past weekend.

Jill Duggar Weds Derick Dillard: 19 Kids and Counting Star Says I Do! | E! Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV