Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times

Advertisements

The latest on the show...

Quote:
"We have not made a decision to change our original premiere date but we are in the process of re-editing the show," said network president Frances Berwick.
Report: Los Angeles Memorial For Russell Armstrong Set For Wednesday - omg! news on Yahoo!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
From the article:

It was going on for 6 years?

But, but wait....

back in January of this year, she said this:

Taylor Armstrong: "I don't feel abused" ---because she's been abused and knows what it looks like.

Taylor Armstrong: "I Don't Feel Abused" | The Wendy Williams Show
I think she constantly made excuses for his shortcomings. She wanted to portray this perfect family life and the cards came crashing down when the show aired and then all of a sudden, he's an abuser, FOR 6 YEARS!!!!! She found her out with him as a result of the show because she could portray herself as this poor victim. I can guarantee you that if she hadn't been on this show, Russell would still be alive.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
I think Taylor drove him to suicide. How horrible is it to have your ex-wife accuse you of being a monster? Now all his business associates do not want to be doing business with him because of his violent history, etc. He should have sued Taylor, she is nasty.
How horrible is it to have a husband that would hit you, ignore you and treat you not like his adored wife but cold and distant? The problems were within him, not her. She wasn't my fav housewife, but no person ever deserves that. He should have thought of how his business associates and DAUGHTER would feel about his actions toward Taylor before he beat the snot out of her...and sue her? what kinda drugs are you on that you believe a man should sue the woman he abused for ruining his rep?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
I was not blaming the victim. All I am saying is that issues of abuse is private. Its a lot like having an affair. You would not want the whole world to know that you are a cheater? Now imagine being called a monster? Its not something the world needs to know. Its best being kept private. Out casting someone is not a good thing.

The abuser hopes that the abused will keep the abuse private, but why should it be? So the abuser can go on abusing in private? Cmon, are you for real? I'd certainly rather my husband cheat on me than beat on me...and if he ever does, I will run to tell the world that he hit me.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:51 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Default Reality TV manipulates for drama, ruins lives

That's the subtext of the article anyway and its probably true, at least to some degree depending on the show.

'Housewives' suicide raises ethical questions - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com

'Housewives' suicide raises ethical questions - Entertainment - Reality TV - TODAY.com

Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,234 times
Reality tv didn't ruin Russell's life. He ruined it himself. Reality tv didn't make him commit fraud, or abuse multiple people in his life. Of course reality tv is manipulative but if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about, and if you do have something to hide, you don't sign up unless you can take the heat.

Hundreds of people have been on reality shows and how many end up taking their own life? Probably no more, statistically, than the general population.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:58 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
How horrible is it to have a husband that would hit you, ignore you and treat you not like his adored wife but cold and distant? The problems were within him, not her. She wasn't my fav housewife, but no person ever deserves that. He should have thought of how his business associates and DAUGHTER would feel about his actions toward Taylor before he beat the snot out of her...and sue her? what kinda drugs are you on that you believe a man should sue the woman he abused for ruining his rep?
She chose to marry him, she had the financial means to divorce him. She stayed of her own accord. This isn't the ghetto where women are trapped. She had skills and if she desired could have left him. Sh states they were business partners more than spouses really.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Two statements I'm taking away from this article.

In 2009, TheWrap chronicled a dozen suicides by reality show contestants whose deaths appeared to be closely connected to their experiences on the shows.

Psychologists have often remarked that reality shows tend to attract people who thirst for fame or are otherwise damaged in some way.

Russell often came across as cold, calculating, possibly cruel, yet at other times I could see a painfully shy man that was desperately trying to make his wife happy.

I can't stop thinking about Russell Armstrong and by watching these shows how much I contributed to his death.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:08 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
I don't think it's the reality shows that's doing it. I mean, seriously, who in their right mind would be on one of these shows???? When they first became the rage (12-14 years ago?), maybe some people wouldn't "get it" about these shows. But now? You'd have to be a fool to NOT know how these shows manipulate everything, edit/cut scenes to make things appear different, take one person who may be a little "off" and make them look totally nuts, crazy, etc., and how they exploit the cast members.

Russell was a college-educated businessman. He should have known better. He should have told Taylor there is absolutely no way he's going to take part in a reality show and not allow his daughter to be exploited on one, either. If Taylor wanted to go ahead and do the show, then she could have done it alone.

I do feel for Russell on some level but I'm not going to blame Bravo or reality programming for his suicide. The fact of the matter is that he dug himself into a whole financially, he abused his wife, exwife, and former girlfriend, and now there are reports he was bi-sexual. Russell knew his financial state and marriage issues were going to be a plotline on the show. He also knew other things about him were going to come to light (esp since he wasn't the most likeable character). He couldn't handle it. He couldn't stand up, be a man, and let the world know that "yes, I screwed up, I did ______, etc but I'm now in individual and familyi counseling and am paying back my debt. As far as my sexual preferences, I will tell you that, yes, I am a bi-sexual male but I am not going to get into any details about any individuals or any relationships." But, no, Russell couldn't do that. Instead, he took the easy way out and left his family and his children holding the bag.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Two statements I'm taking away from this article.

In 2009, TheWrap chronicled a dozen suicides by reality show contestants whose deaths appeared to be closely connected to their experiences on the shows.

Psychologists have often remarked that reality shows tend to attract people who thirst for fame or are otherwise damaged in some way.

Russell often came across as cold, calculating, possibly cruel, yet at other times I could see a painfully shy man that was desperately trying to make his wife happy.

I can't stop thinking about Russell Armstrong and by watching these shows how much I contributed to his death.
You did NOT contribute to his death. Russell Armstrong is the only person who contributed to his death. Not Taylor, not his ex, not his children, not his business associates, not Bravo, not the viewers. Russell Armstrong and ONLY Russell Armstrong is responsible for his own death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV