Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times

Advertisements

Due to our world standing and disproportionate influence on the world as a whole whether it be through pop culture or through military involvement abroad, the U.S. and our representatives invoke passionate reactions wherever they go. The U.S. is routinely booed at the Olympics as well regardless of the host country, as well as during soccer matches, beauty pageants and any other forum where pitted against members of another nation. It's not a Mexico-specific thing.

I didn't watch the pageant, but I have to say, I'm not surprised by the reaction American contestants received here or that they have in the past considering it's supposed to be an international pageant yet is nearly always hosted by Americans, in English, and the overwhelming majority of the judges are Americans, and "coincidentally" the USA always happens to advance to the finals.

Oh, and Miss Japan is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
My reaction to the fall was: why do they use that slick high gloss black flooring? This is the second time I have heard in the press that models have slipped on that stuff! Should not be used ever... I hope she is OK. I took a fall like that once and I permanently injured my back.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
My reaction to the fall was: why do they use that slick high gloss black flooring? This is the second time I have heard in the press that models have slipped on that stuff! Should not be used ever... I hope she is OK. I took a fall like that once and I permanently injured my back.
That looked so painful. I couldn't believe she just got right back up and put that smile back on her face. They should give her a special award just for that. Maybe not Miss Congeniality but Miss....uh...Buns of Steel?

Old 05-30-2007, 03:09 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Due to our world standing and disproportionate influence on the world as a whole whether it be through pop culture or through military involvement abroad, the U.S. and our representatives invoke passionate reactions wherever they go. The U.S. is routinely booed at the Olympics as well regardless of the host country, as well as during soccer matches, beauty pageants and any other forum where pitted against members of another nation. It's not a Mexico-specific thing.
This happens all the time down there. They booed last time the pagent was held in Mexico City and it certainly was a Mexico specific thing when our soccer team when down there for the Olympic qualifiers a few years ago and the Mexicans were yelling Osama Osama Osama.

This happens all the time to Americans down there. I would think the Mexican government would be ashamed and apologize for the inappropriate conduct of its citizens, but then again. I'm not surprised that they haven't. The conduct of both the government and the people leave nothing for them to be proud of.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
This happens all the time down there. They booed last time the pagent was held in Mexico City and it certainly was a Mexico specific thing when our soccer team when down there for the Olympic qualifiers a few years ago and the Mexicans were yelling Osama Osama Osama.

This happens all the time to Americans down there. I would think the Mexican government would be ashamed and apologize for the inappropriate conduct of its citizens, but then again. I'm not surprised that they haven't. The conduct of both the government and the people leave nothing for them to be proud of.
The U.S. has also been booed the other year when the pageant was in Thailand and before that in Ecuador. The U.S. was also booed and greeted with chants of "Osama!" in front of a German soccer crowd last year at the World Cup warm-up match between the U.S. and Germany. The U.S. was also heavily booed during the Olympics in Athens in 2004 and in Torino last year, both during individual events, and during the procession of athletes and countries at the opening ceremonies. I have no doubt that there is increased tension between the U.S. and Mexico over recent immigration measures and that is likely what led to the booing which is unfair to Miss USA and petty and immature, but oh well. America representatives have been given this same treatment for years due to our global actions, and this is not something confined to Mexico. We are not a popular country with Mexicans. We are not a popular country with nearly anyone.

The Mexican government has more important things to do than to apologize for some idiots booing during a beauty pageant. I wouldn't expect the U.S. to apologize had several Americans have booed a Mexican contestant in the U.S., but I'm not surprised at all that people are using this opportunity to hop on the anti-Mexico train and use it to further their own political arguments.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
The Mexican government has more important things to do than to apologize for some idiots booing during a beauty pageant. I wouldn't expect the U.S. to apologize had several Americans have booed a Mexican contestant in the U.S., but I'm not surprised at all that people are using this opportunity to hop on the anti-Mexico train and use it to further their own political arguments.

Yeah they have more important things to do. Like the federalies taking shots at our border patrol agents, and sending armed patrols over our border to protect their drug runners.

The Mexicans booed Miss USA because they hate us. In fact, I'm watching Gustavo Areliano, author of "Ask a Mexican!" right now on TV. And if you've ever read anything he's written he's very sympathetic to the Hispanic viewpoint, and even he outright admitted Miss USA was booed not because of any animosity toward her, but because Mexicans despise America.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:11 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
This is not the worst I've heard. When Team USA played in Mexico City for a world cup qualifying match, people in the stands shouted "Osama". Wait. there's worse...during a World Cup game in Los Angeles, Mexican Americans and illegal aliens threw ojbects at our players and held signs saying California belongs to Mexico.

These things disgust me, as the son of LEGAL Asian immigrants. Obviously the Mexicans hate us but that doesn't stop their desire to ilelgally come here, steal from us, flood us with drugs,rape our women, murder our children on our streets, and cheat the system in whatever way they can.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:15 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Oh yeah and the Mexicans will never win Olympic swimming gold. Because all their good swimmers swim one-way laps across the Rio Grande.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Yeah they have more important things to do. Like the federalies taking shots at our border patrol agents, and sending armed patrols over our border to protect their drug runners.

The Mexicans booed Miss USA because they hate us. In fact, I'm watching Gustavo Areliano, author of "Ask a Mexican!" right now on TV. And if you've ever read anything he's written he's very sympathetic to the Hispanic viewpoint, and even he outright admitted Miss USA was booed not because of any animosity toward her, but because Mexicans despise America.
You have completely missed my point. I never said that many Mexicans don't despise America. I said that EVERYONE does. That's the last I'll say on this though because I know the direction this is headed, and I realize that this was basically meant to be the one of the usual "Mexicans suck!" threads that pop up all the time on this board, so I wouldn't want to divert this thread from what it was intended to be .

Last edited by dullnboring; 05-30-2007 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-31-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
You have completely missed my point. I never said that many Mexicans don't despise America. I said that EVERYONE does. That's the last I'll say on this though because I know the direction this is headed, and I realize that this was basically meant to be the one of the usual "Mexicans suck!" threads that pop up all the time on this board, so I wouldn't want to divert this thread from what it was intended to be .
This same thing happened to Miss USA Kenya Moore back in 1993 in Mexico City. And based on numerous other similar incidents it's clear these people are unable to act like adults and this type of function shouldn't be held there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV