U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 PM

2,790 posts, read 3,938,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post
Well, I really messed up my previous message ^^^^^

Not once, did I watch Jon&Kate+8 nor have I seen Kate on any talk show (I watch very little TV). Seeing her on DWTS was my first exposure to the woman . Clearly, she could not dance; clearly, she didn't want to be there; clearly, she kept herself from the other contestants; clearly, she should have been the first one eliminated.

Did her attitude change when she got the other reality TV show

I'm truly looking forward to next week's show .
DWTS is my first exposure to Kate as well, but I disagree with your statement that she didn't want to be there, etc. I am also disturbed by the acrimonious comments by other posters towards her.

I have watched DWTS from day one, and if memory serves me correctly, wasn't the basic premise of the show to see who would be the most improved dancer? Wouldn't that suggest that the celebrities needed to be poor to moderate dancers to begin with as opposed to trained dancers such as Nicole? How much improvement are we likely to see in Nicole? She is already nearly perfect.

Having mentored young single mothers, I think Kate suffers from serious self-esteem issues. The fact that she had the courage to face millions of armchair critics each week on the dance floor says a good deal about her desire to overcome those issues. As mentioned on the show as well as here, she is in a unique situation, having been the only celebrity not to come from either the sports or entertainment industry. She was at a disadvantage of not having any athletic training to draw on or the poise or confidence from performing. I think that may have had something to do with her stand-offishness. I suspect she was intimidated by the other celebrities.

Granted, Evan and some of the other celebrities have stress from busy schedules; but anyone who knows anything about stress knows there is a big difference between the stress of something postive like a skating exhibition and the stress of dealing with an ex- (are they divorced yet?) who is suing you for custody, won't pay child support, etc. That is very debilitating. That she could even get out of bed in the morning amazes me, much less that she could fly to LA every week!

While I do agree that was painful to watch her dance, I could see a glimmer of hope, and this is why I find it so sad that so many dance enthusiasts here spewed so much venom about Kate. Kelly Osborne came with a lot of baggage too, and had a very rocky start, and once she developed a little poise and confidence, dancing became very theraputic for her and she just blossomed. I had hoped that Kate would last long enough to find that same poise and discover that dance could be her vehicle to find her inner voice, to bring order to the chaos in her life, that dance could be a positive force in her life and not another failure. I think a lot of armchair critics, and even some dancers, missed the boat on this one, and that is so sad,........ for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 6,702,872 times
I'll bet Tony Dovolani is celebrating today along with some of y'all! I, too, was VERY glad to see Kate FINALLY get the boot. Not only can't she dance, but her attitude sucks, and this week she didn't even have a nice-looking costume. I'll bet even she was amazed at how long she got to stay when she was consistently at the bottom of the leader board.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by Pam Anderson and her dancing ability. She and her partner seem to get along famously too.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
It's quite on topic as she was a participant in the show and is now doing the rounds as the latest voted off. She's very much in the public eye regarding this show and there is no reason not to discuss her.

It's no different than Master P who was horrendous, didn't want to be there and didn't even try. Or Tom Delay who appeared after a scandalous time in his life and many people felt he had no business being included.
Then there's those like Kenny Mayne, Adam Corolla, Jeffrey Ross or Tucker Carlson who were lead footed on top of having two left feet and not all that well known to begin with so people were negative about them as well. Actually, they were so bad that they now make a habit of making fun of themselves alongside everyone who participates.

It's all a part of the entertainment of the show, whether positive or negative, it all comes hand in hand with show business.
People who place themselves in the public eye do so with the understanding that this sort of thing will happen.

I cannot get over how they audition their contestants and accepted the people you name, but not Joan Rivers. She admits she can't dance, but neither can the above.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM

9,741 posts, read 6,451,959 times
Kate put herself out there to be critqued. Her problem ,besides the fact that she has a lousy attititude and can't dance is that she wants only positive press and no negative. She wants things her way-all the time. her way or the hiway. Tough noodles. If she felt at a disadvantage then she shouldn't have put herself in the situation. I don't feel sorry for her. Nor do I care what her personall issues are. If she couldn't handle the stress then she should have stayed home. She wants to be a celebrity and it's a tough business and lots of critics come with the fame. IF she wants it,she gets everything that goes along with it. She won't get a pass from the majority simply because she demands it.
I wouldn't go comparing Kate to Kelly Osborne either. Kelly was a diamond in the rough. Kate is not even a cheap imitation. There was NO glimmer of hope. The season wasn't long enough for Kate to blossom.It was never going to happen. She has a very nasty attitude. As evidenced by the response upon her departure. That spoke volumes.
It's sad for armchair critics? We missed the boat?? Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
DWTS is my first exposure to Kate as well, but I disagree with your statement that she didn't want to be there, etc. I am also disturbed by the acrimonious comments by other posters towards her.

I have watched DWTS from day one, and if memory serves me correctly, wasn't the basic premise of the show to see who would be the most improved dancer? Wouldn't that suggest that the celebrities needed to be poor to moderate dancers to begin with as opposed to trained dancers such as Nicole? How much improvement are we likely to see in Nicole? She is already nearly perfect.

Having mentored young single mothers, I think Kate suffers from serious self-esteem issues. The fact that she had the courage to face millions of armchair critics each week on the dance floor says a good deal about her desire to overcome those issues. As mentioned on the show as well as here, she is in a unique situation, having been the only celebrity not to come from either the sports or entertainment industry. She was at a disadvantage of not having any athletic training to draw on or the poise or confidence from performing. I think that may have had something to do with her stand-offishness. I suspect she was intimidated by the other celebrities.

Granted, Evan and some of the other celebrities have stress from busy schedules; but anyone who knows anything about stress knows there is a big difference between the stress of something postive like a skating exhibition and the stress of dealing with an ex- (are they divorced yet?) who is suing you for custody, won't pay child support, etc. That is very debilitating. That she could even get out of bed in the morning amazes me, much less that she could fly to LA every week!

While I do agree that was painful to watch her dance, I could see a glimmer of hope, and this is why I find it so sad that so many dance enthusiasts here spewed so much venom about Kate. Kelly Osborne came with a lot of baggage too, and had a very rocky start, and once she developed a little poise and confidence, dancing became very theraputic for her and she just blossomed. I had hoped that Kate would last long enough to find that same poise and discover that dance could be her vehicle to find her inner voice, to bring order to the chaos in her life, that dance could be a positive force in her life and not another failure. I think a lot of armchair critics, and even some dancers, missed the boat on this one, and that is so sad,........ for all of you.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 PM

12,246 posts, read 16,416,849 times
Thank God she's gone. The longer Kate danced, the better Jon was looking.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM

2,893 posts, read 4,015,322 times
Quote:

There have been many many people there who are not athletes nor entertainers. Buzz Aldrin (astronaut) and Jake Pavelka (reality tv) just this season. So she's definitely not the only one to not be an entertainer or athelete.

Tom Delay (politician), Melissa Rycroft (reality TV), Tucker Carlson (news correspondent), Trista Sutter (reality TV), Steve Wozniak (computer guru), Mark Cuban (millionaire-team owner), Kim Kardashian (reality TV) just to name a few are not either.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 PM

351 posts, read 707,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
That patronizing Kate is gone....good riddance!

I hope that Jake is gone next so that I won't have to see his phony good guy smirk or the audience shot of his possum-faced girlfriend week after week.
I haven't noticed Ms. Possum... will definitely be looking for her next week! I too am looking forward to Jake going away.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,409,310 times
I am glad the pain of Kate Gosselin and Mr. (or is it Ms.?) Possum has passed.

My lower GI tract is happy and has no ill will towards Kate or the Possum person.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:32 AM

364 posts, read 354,329 times
Quote:

There isn't much more I can add that others haven't said other than this...

If Kate had continued to improve and not go backwards, perhaps you'd be right. But she didn't improve, not her dancing, nor her attitude. The show is at the half way point. There aren't enough episode left for Kate to get over herself and find her groove.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 AM

364 posts, read 354,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
she is gone and still the harpies continue---stick to the topic and spew your nasty comments bout someone else in another negative oriented thread
I take exception to your post, auntieannie68. The topic is DANCING WITH THE STARS. I (we) are discussing the topic. You seem to be discussing the posters' comments, not the topic. So please take your own advice and start discussing the topic...Dancing with the Stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV