Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:04 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
That's because everything is cyclical.
True. I'm fifty and I remember living through several 'we won't make it though this' financially leaner times. Truthfully, life goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:11 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
True. I'm fifty and I remember living through several 'we won't make it though this' financially leaner times. Truthfully, life goes on.
yeah, but it can get really scary sometimes. that's why i'm so thankful for my faith that has gotten me thru every time. i'm sitting here right now wondering how i made it over those financial obstacles i did. god is amazing

Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It s a shame that they cannot do a reunion of this show because florida ( esther rolle ) passed away god rest her soul , the dad was on west wing and have not seen him since then and never see the actor who played micheal and jj who knows where he is . Yeah it is sad that thrity years later and not much has changed .
They did have a reunion of sorts. The show received a TV Land award. As people remember, John Amos (the father) had a recurring role on West Wing and he was in Die Hard 2 and I know he's had a appearances in a couple of others but I can't remember them right now. Jimmy Walker (JJ) and Ralph Carter (Michael) have kind of faded into private life but once in a while Jimmy Wlaker will nake an appearance on Hollywood squares or soemthing else of that nature. Berndette (Thelma) appeared in an episode of Girlfriends recently but I haven't seen her in anything else. J'net DuBois (Wilona) has had several cameo appearances. I haven't heard what Johnny Brown (Bookman) has been doing lately.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Jimmie Walker still does stand-up from time to time -- that's his roots. And of course the most successful "Good Times" alum would be Janet Jackson.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
I didn't mention Janet simply because a person would have to be living on the moon to not know what's she's been doing since the show. btw she did not make an appearance at the TV Land awards. Some people were mad about that but if you think about it, if she had shown up, it would have been all about her and not the show.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,841,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I didn't mention Janet simply because a person would have to be living on the moon to not know what's she's been doing since the show. btw she did not make an appearance at the TV Land awards. Some people were mad about that but if you think about it, if she had shown up, it would have been all about her and not the show.
well actually at the bet awards a few years ago, there was a mini good times "reunion" of some of the cast members and janet was there

Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Some of us middle-aged white folks still remember and use lines from "Good Times", "The Jeffersons", "Sanford and Son", "What's Happening" - used a couple of them in the past week in fact! Haven't seen most of these shows in many years...

Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Jimmie Walker still does stand-up from time to time -- that's his roots. And of course the most successful "Good Times" alum would be Janet Jackson.
She doesn't count because she was a ADD ON. The most successful Good Times Alum would of course be JOHN AMOS!!!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Uh, OK.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:14 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
The funny thing about Good Times is that I dreaded watching it as a child. That was one of those shows that really brought my family together on a Friday or Saturday night. I just didn't "get it", the "it" being the whole concept and humor. I recently began watching it now, as a 20-something, and it has grown into one of my favorite shows. I don't care for Michael, though....he was just so fake to me.

The show really shows, as y'all have said, parallelisms between the hard times back then and the hard times now. One thing about that family--they had it tough but they pushed through and made the most of it. Of course, that its a fictional sitcom made it easier to deal with the harsh realities of then and now, but still
It also helped educate white people back then as to some of the daily realities that black people had to live that we just didn't see in our world. I saw a TV Land show when "Good Times" got an award. Some of the original cast was there, and they all thanked Norman Lear for having the courage to put shows like that on TV back then.

SOME of us are old enough to remember John Amos as Gordy the weatherman on The Mary Tyler Moore show, before Good Times. And John Amos was Kinte Kunte in Roots (when KK is older, the younger KK was LeVar Burton.)

Michael's role seemed to have been to express the anger that black people had against white society. He was always given those types of lines.

My favorite episode is the "Black Jesus" episode when J.J. painted the portrait of Jesus using Ned the Wino as his model. Another good episode is when Thelma is going to marry a man from Africa until she finds out that she will hold a place of honor because she will be his FIRST wife. It kind of drove home that the family was American, not African.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV