Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 PM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow donkeys!

I just caught up with all of Season 8 over the past week. I'm not terribly impressed by anyone this season.

It seems like the past two seasons, the group of chefs as a whole has been better, but there have been fewer chefs with potential to be great. I really only thought there were three really good chefs last season: Holli, Jay, and Benjamin. And Benjamin was so arrogant and incapable of getting along with anyone, that he would've still made a terrible Head Chef.

This season, I'm not convinced that anyone in the line-up has Head Chef at LA Market potential. The best chef, thus far, has been Jillian. She's flying under the radar a bit, which is good. Almost all the winners were people who sort of flew under the radar initially. Also, the past three winners were never nominated for elimination until the very end; if at all. If that holds true, then the winner would be Jillian or Russell. I'm not really sold on Russell, though. I think he seems technically competent, but not very creative; plus, he seems to be a bit of a faux-leader. Nothing about him screams out "Head Chef at LA Market!" to me.

Actually ... and I know I'm about to get poorly cooked scallops thrown at me for saying it ... the chef with the most potential is Sabrina. Only problem is that her attitude and work ethic are all so terrible, that I don't see how she could possibly win.

I think the problem this season is that none of the chefs have all the qualities you would look for: (1) great cook, (2) technical competence in the kitchen, (3) leadership/communication, and (4) creativity. All the ones who are technically competent lack creativity or communication. All the ones who are creative and have potential to be great cooks have other issues.

So, yeah ... I'm not terribly impressed with any of these donkeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 PM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times
As far as the ridiculous contestants, I don't think they are actors. That seems very unlikely to me.

What's more likely is that FOX purposely seeks out a few people solely for entertainment value each season. I'm sure they get hundreds, if not thousands, of people trying to be on the show. It's not difficult to get a few nuts. It seems like they try to find a selection of wackos, completely terrible cooks (with attitude), and people who have no business being there.

This season, they picked Raj. Last season, they picked Andrew, Salvatore, and Mikey. Season 6, they picked Joseph and Louie.

Honestly, I question whether they picked Sabrina for entertainment value this season, and just figured it was an added bonus that she's a reasonably good cook.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Hey Donkeys! Twinkie Poo checking in ......

Aye Carumba! Where to begin???

I'm glad Boris is gone! He was really grossing me out with that sweaty head of his dripping all over the food! Not to mention the fact that he was a tool.

I am REALLY not liking Russell ... AT ALL!!! I was really put off by the way he treated the high school kids last week. That was completely uncalled for and he should have been gone at that point - no questions asked. I can't stand a liar or a backstabber - and Russell has both of those qualities. Ben repeatedly asked for help, and Russell refused to help - then turned around and lied about it. There were clips of Russell making comments to the effect that he wasn't there to help his teammates! This guy is not a team player, is a liar who cannot be trusted, and threw his team under the bus. Maybe if he would have helped out - just a little - the blue team *might* have had a snowball's chance in hell.

Another thing I've noticed with Russell - same as that other red-haired f*ck redneck Texas hillbilly from last season or the season before - is the temper. I can't stand a hothead!!! Who does this moron think he is? He seriously needs a good ass-kickin'.

I didn't care for Ben last week, but this week he didn't bother me too much. He and Vinny are the best of the worst and they can't cook! Vinny is sneaky though - and going back to this liar thing ... I also can't stand a sneak, because sneaky is on par with liar.

Trev needs to go. I just can't stand looking at the guy. He always has a chip on his shoulder, plus ... HE LOOKS LIKE A DONKEY!!! He does a lot of yelling, yet he whines like a b*tch. The previews look like GR is going to throw him out, but I doubt it. The previews are always so dramatic and lead you to believe one thing is going to happen, when in fact, the opposite happens. So, I'm guessing GR's going to compliment him, or tell him to get back in line.

Sabrina wasn't as irritating tonight, but she be ghetto! What's with the flower in the hair? That just looks silly! She looks like Ellie May Clampett. If she'd lose the 'tude, she could potentially be pretty good in a kitchen - but who can stand her???

Nona's gotta go ... just because.

I think Gail's flying under the radar and may emerge as a contender. It'll probably be down to Sabrina and Gail.

Now ... Jillene is another backstabber. Last week she was all chummy with Sabrina - they were in bed together. Tonight? Jillene totally threw Sabrina under the bus! Yes, Sabrina's a witch, but I didn't like how Jillene turned on her the way she did - all that smack talk. I can't stand untrustworthy people!

So basically ... I don't think any of these people are head chef material, and certainly aren't deserving of a $250,000/year salary! NOBODY is a stellar cook/chef. Most of them have character flaws that highlight their lack of integrity.

I guess I'm still going to have to root for Gail because she seems to be the most "normal" of the bunch - she has the least amount of drama swirling around her.

I enjoyed seeing the former winners. I couldn't believe my eyes! Danny??? He actually cleans up very nice!!! In fact, he was actually pretty darn handsome! I really like the short hair on him. Christine was before my time (I wasn't a donkey yet), and Rock was the first season I watched HK - and I didn't even see that season until half way through. That year, I competed at Nevada Star Ball in Vegas (Henderson) and dined at the restaurant that Rock became head chef of at the Green Valley Resort (or whatever it's called). I caught a few glimpses of him at the restaurant. That was kinda cool!

Hmmm .... I think that's all I've got to say for now.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:44 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
And one more thing .....

I didn't like the way Russell kept referring to Boris' ethnicity and sending him back to Russia, etc. When he talked about Boris being a screw up. His "Russian-ness" has nothing to do with it, and I found it unnecessary and very offensive.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Jillian's voice makes me want to mute the TV, or even suffer a hearing loss.

Sabrina's voice makes me want to mute her. Her vocal cords are being misused.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:12 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
I think everyone needs to go! We need New players(so called cooks) please!!!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 07:42 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The Joe Schmo Show.
You mean I'm not the only person that watched the Joe Schmoe Show?

I was kind of interesting, yet incredibly cheesy at the same time!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
And I'm equally sure they don't. They'd be sued and shut down in a heartbeat! The FCC is really, really strict about these kind of competition shows not being rigged.

The FCC has habitually steered clear of "reality" shows that have contests but also have a disclaimer that it is "entertainment" television. The FCC still regulates the outcome of quiz shows. That's why Fox's "Little Geniuses" was never broadcast. A parent filed a complaint with the FCC that the producer, Mark Burnett of "Survivor" fame was tinkering with the contestants to affect the outcome.

The only time the Feds step in, other than quiz shows, is to have the IRS get their share of the "contest" money, as Richard Hatch of the aforementioned "Survivor" found out.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:21 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,906 times
Ha, I knew it.........none of the donkey's are really cooks. They couldn't cut their way out of a paper bag

Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,637 times
Where did the show go??? My DVR shows no show for tonight nor next week. Next one it shows is on 11/3. Anybody know why they aren't in the lineup for two weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV