Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

I missed a couple of episodes--have they gone back to visit the family from the first episode, whose most used kitchen appliance was the deep fryer?

My sister is a teacher, and she said one time that one of her colleagues was trying to save the whole pieces of fruit that the kids were throwing away in order to take them to a homeless shelter or something, and he got in trouble with the principal of the school. Apparently it messes up their funding to repurpose perfectly good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
And while I do understand that there are plenty of kids who truly have a diagnosis of ADD or ADHD, I wonder how many kids have parents who say to their pediatrician..."I just don't know why my kid won't sit down". Hmmm...perhaps because you are giving them sugar milk before school coupled with sugary cereal, then they eat processed carbs for lunch (that their bodies turn into sugar)?

I used to live in Florida and we went to Disneyworld all of the time. We'd see parents loading their kids up with soda and gigantic lollipops and the kids were having a great time...until the end of the day when they had a massive sugar crash and were having a total meltdown in the middle of the park. Then, their parents were yelling at them to "knock it off". My parents used to always say..."garbage in, garbage out". The eating habits they gave me when I was young have stayed. I do like to eat out but haven't been to a fast food restaurant in a long time. When we were moving across country, we ended up eating at a few McDonalds (fast and easy...the kiss of death) and I could not believe how salty everything was and my chicken sandwich made me feel sick. That's not a knock against McD's...it's just that when you eat things with lower sodium and sugar content, you notice immediately when you eat something that is high in either of those.
I know! I gave up using any table salt at all years ago and now when I taste fast food or anything that my husband has salted, it's way too much. I notice it for the rest of the day too, cannot get enough water.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I know! I gave up using any table salt at all years ago and now when I taste fast food or anything that my husband has salted, it's way too much. I notice it for the rest of the day too, cannot get enough water.
I think, if nothing else comes out of this show, we should all just understand that if something says it's "chicken" it should BE chicken. Not chicken with 100 other ingredients. It's the same thing with the "low fat" craze that made us all fatter because in order to get lower fat, they added sugar.

There was a great episode of Oprah a few months ago where she had an author of a book called Food, Inc (that was made into a movie) and his basic points were that we shouldn't be eating food that our great grandparents wouldn't recognize as "food", and (my favorite) eat all the "junk food" you want as long as you make it. I make sweet potato fries now and believe me, after cleaning, slicing and cooking them up, we don't eat those as often as we would if I just opened a freezer bag and dumped out Ore-Ida fries on a cookie sheet.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
I LOVE sweet potato fries! Yum!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:01 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
Last nights show was great. Jamie is making headway. He should go on "Dancing with the Stars" as he can dance too!!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
The new season picks up tomorrow nite at 7 CST on ABC.

I had seen some of 'The Naked Chef', years ago so looked up the Food Revolution and watched last year's shows. It's good stuff. Junk food in the U.S. has become tooooo easy.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Jamie talks with Jon Stewart about being banned from LA schools:

Jamie Oliver - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 04/07/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

No surprise, there - I think he has a point that there's some underhanded deals being made.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
I watched him on Daily Show and thought he looks rather paunchy for a guy pushing healthy eating ...

Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
I love Jamie's style, Jamie's food, Jamie's attitude, he is a marvelous chef. So much better than some who like to call themselves "chefs" out there...

His show on Cooking Channel is simply fantastic. So unpretentious, so relaxed, couldn't possibly be nicer.

He is not pushing healthy eating, he is pushing sensible eating, in my opinion. Just bc you eat healthy, that does not mean you will necessarily be stick thin. It is healthy - though tasty - and real food, not necessarily all-fat-free-low-calorie food.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:53 AM

240 posts, read 580,967 times
great show last nite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV