Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times

Advertisements

I noticed that too. First the Syfy change and then lots of screaming. I thought they were just associating Syfy with special effects in order to expand their play list.

Then one day as I was flippin' the channels... Syfy was gone from our cable and replaced with the Centric channel. Now I get to see Soul Train from 1978.

And they call this "evolving"?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:29 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times
Well, at least they still have Stargate SGU, Eureka, and Caprica. So all is not lost.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I hate all that Hostel, Saw stuff. Sci Fi to Sy Fy, crappy movies. Somehow I'm sure they are blaming it all on money. Personally I'd rather be watching old re runs of Lost in Space and Hammer Vampire films if they are that freaking broke. But of course they have to appeal to the audience in their 20 and 30s who are probably living in the basement of people my age who are paying the cable bill.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Horror has always been lumped in with SciFi for some reason so I think it makes perfect sense for them to show horror flicks. I don't see the point of showing movies like TCM on TV, though since they have to cut so much stuff out. I don't have anything against watching them I loved the original. I am sure the remake/reboot sucked.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
I wish SyFy would really embrace the genre and make independent productions that weren't so hokey! I don't mind if they throw in some horror sometimes but they really could do better. I am a science fiction loving gal! I'd like to be challenged mentally by what they show sometimes. I didn't have cable when Galactica started but it seemed really an interesting premise, wish I could have seen the beginning, it struck me as a show that needed to be watched in entirety to be understood.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:39 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Same thing seems to happen to every channel eventually. One that comes immediately to mind is Spike TV though they are still pretty manly (their original focus).
Really because I thought the original purpose of The Nashville Network was to show country music videos. In fact I remember when that was all they did. Now we're on to Great American Country which is the third country music video channel, and we'll probably be on to a fourth within the enxt ten years as GAC goes the way TNN and CMT did before them.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:45 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Horror has always been lumped in with SciFi for some reason so I think it makes perfect sense for them to show horror flicks. I don't see the point of showing movies like TCM on TV, though since they have to cut so much stuff out. I don't have anything against watching them I loved the original. I am sure the remake/reboot sucked.

No it hasn't! Come on dude... even in the video store you have a horror section and a separate sci-fi section. Sure there are some sci-fi movies that have some scary aspects. But they are not the same.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No it hasn't! Come on dude... even in the video store you have a horror section and a separate sci-fi section. Sure there are some sci-fi movies that have some scary aspects. But they are not the same.
Some types of horror have been associated with sciffy for a long time. What else would you call Alien? And something like Steven Kings stuff, especially the older stuff, is clearly also sf/fantasy.

The difference between what they are showing now and that is that stuff like Hostel is NOT skiffy, and is barely horror. Its just exploytation. The true essense of horror is A Caste of Amatelato by Poe or others like that. Its not teenagers being hacked to pieces with gallons of stage blood and the like. Slasher movies are not really horror, but a violation of it. Real horror builds with mystery and unfolds into horror. If you know the movie is about chainsaws where is the mystery?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Every movie store I've ever gone to have the sci fi and horror sections right next to eachother, with a little bleeding through. There's a lot of overlapping between the two genres, and the line between horror fans and sci fi fans is very blurred.

I just wish SyFy (oh how I hate this new name) would cut it out with the wrestling and paranormal crap. Ghost Hunters would be a lot better if they had a true skeptic in the mix, and really, guys? - a reality show about a psychic?

The hokey movies are fun, and I love a lot of the shows, but they're trying to cater to everyone and it's just not working.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Really because I thought the original purpose of The Nashville Network was to show country music videos. In fact I remember when that was all they did. Now we're on to Great American Country which is the third country music video channel, and we'll probably be on to a fourth within the enxt ten years as GAC goes the way TNN and CMT did before them.
Possibly they're thinking of Spike as a new entity rather than the evolution of The Nashville Network.

There was an in-between period when they were "The New TNN." I think I may have liked that version the best. They showed like old TV shows and Star Trek: DS9 or something, they still show Voyager I think, but still had a few country-themed things.

Of course I remember when Lifetime was, at least in part, a medical/health channel. Actually it was maybe more like a mix of old-sitcoms, medical shows, game shows, and shows about parenting. Still I remember them doing surgeries or something on the channel so quite different than now. The Cartoon Network was once a channel that only had cartoons and had nothing above a PG rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV