Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,249,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The thing that amazed me about Jackie is that not only does she have a beautiful voice but her stage presence is wonderful for a ten year old child. She moves her body and gestures with the music where many young children with good voices just stand there and sing.

And she is singing in Italian. She just blew me away

The rest of the u-tubers where not worth the bother. I got a little tired of the judges making excuses for them, they were just not as good as those who auditioned in front of the TV camera.

I wonder if acts that look good on u-tube don't translate well to the TV screen.

I remember reading when Julie Andrews first became known in the US that she had something like a 10 octave range when she was a kid of 8.
Yeah, Jackie is pretty amazing to be sure. From what I hear she also plays violin and piano - no idea how well of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was pretty darned good at those too. Anyone who develops the vocal skills she has at such a young age - and with only a couple of years practice and development - pretty obviously fits the definition of a child prodigy.

Apparently hardcopy versions (ie CD) of her album are already sold out and they are scrambling to manufacture more. I also notice that now Amazon.com has listed the CD version (as opposed to the digital download version - which it already offered) of her album too - though it is not yet available there (you can sign up to be notified when it comes in).

Clearly she is on her way to major stardom.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-15-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 05:56 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,947,752 times
Charlotte Church was singing opera at that age as well.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Yeah, so it's NOT unknown.
Also one thing it keep in mind is that a really good voice coach helps a LOT and can really do wonders. A prime example is Michael Crawford. Anyone who remembers him from his role of Hero (the wimpy son) in the "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" film will remember that he had a thin weak and reedy voice - not at ALL impressive. An extended period of time with a professional voice coach and he's suddenly in the title role of Phantom of the Opera on the London stage getting (well deserved) rave reviews for his awesome voice.

Just something to keep in mind.

Ken

Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,920,284 times
I just saw the rerun of the Utube presentation.
I think Sharon X'd that classical pianist kid just because Piers liked him.
If she did that, she's really lower than low, and I think she did that.
She tries to put on a front that she's oh, so sensitive and fair and kind, and underneath she's a shark willing to throw innocent parties into the abyss.
Ugh!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I just saw the rerun of the Utube presentation.
I think Sharon X'd that classical pianist kid just because Piers liked him.
If she did that, she's really lower than low, and I think she did that.
She tries to put on a front that she's oh, so sensitive and fair and kind, and underneath she's a shark willing to throw innocent parties into the abyss.
Ugh!
Well, I tend to agree with Sharon on that kid. He was clearly VERY talented, but the piece was BORING. Choice of music is VERY important - especially when you've only got 90 seconds to perform. That's just the reality of the format.

Ken

Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Here's an interesting (though short) interview (the only one I've yet seen) with Jackie Evancho and her family where she addresses the lip-synching rumors.

YouTube - WPXI- Jackie Evancho's First On-Camera Interview

She's obviously hurt by the rumors, but I hope she keeps in mind the fact that the disbelief of some viewers is no doubt painful, that disbelief is in truth still a compliment (though an unintentional one admittedly). The fact that her voice is so good for her age that people find it hard to believe, simply reflects the fact that she's unbelievably good. Eventually - after she's performed many many more times in many many more venues even most of those doubters will be forced to the realization that "yes it REALLY IS her singing".

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 08-18-2010 at 08:10 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 AM

19,367 posts, read 9,431,204 times
Quote:
I was going to say that too but you got here before me. Tried to rep, but you know how that goes sometimes.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM

On a side note, how many out there are starting to get REAL annoyed at the judges constant sniping at each other over the last few shows? It used to be kind of funny, but last night it was just childish and distracting.

Ken

Old 08-18-2010, 01:30 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,367,876 times
What I find more aggravating is the way they sent through a few acts that were obviously not talented and held back a few that were just so they would either get people motivated to vote, have some to send back for a second chance or ensure there were some to be voted off helping favorites do better. I think much of what is said and done is scripted and suspect. I do enjoy watching some of the talent though.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 PM
B&A

336 posts, read 251,545 times
I thought it was hilarious to see Howie jump out of his seat when that magician threw the dental floss at him LOL!

Last edited by B&A; 08-18-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV