U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:56 AM

13,374 posts, read 9,834,124 times
Quote:
PS - regarding Jackie's "something with animals" response, no one can know if that was genuine or not, but it IS something a typical 10-year-old girl would say, so my guess is that it WAS genuine.
I would have said that if I were ten years old. I think the whole reason why she was asked is because it's funny to think of what a ten year old's concept of a million dollars is. I also think it was genuine. She seems to be enjoying herself. She just seems to love singing and wants to keep on going. At her age the money isn't all that important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 AM

15,788 posts, read 13,512,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would have said that if I were ten years old. I think the whole reason why she was asked is because it's funny to think of what a ten year old's concept of a million dollars is. I also think it was genuine. She seems to be enjoying herself. She just seems to love singing and wants to keep on going. At her age the money isn't all that important.
There's an interesting article in the news yesterday about the magician Murray - who seems to be doing very well and is busy with offers even after not making the top ten on AGT (as I wrote earlier would be the case).

Here's what he had to say about Jackie after being if it was fair to say that the 10-year-old was the reason he was voted off:

“Jackie Evancho is absolutely amazing. She is absolutely a gift. It’s like watching Tiger Woods play golf or Michael Jordan play basketball. It’s one of those things where it’s a God-given talent. She is sweet as a button; she is absolutely adorable. I was excited to be with her and all of us who got to the semifinals."

Las Vegas Weekly : "Murray Sawchuck just misses Top 10 on AGT with magic act" by Robin Leach: Luxe Life

Seems like even the other contestants are taken with her.

Ken

Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,047,907 times
Grimm and Poppycock for me, in that order - as mentioned above, these are acts I would actually pay to see. I like Grimm's bluesy voice and his laid back personna, which is probably adopted for the show because I cannot see someone remaining so calm under such pressure. I guess it could be chemical help, though.

Poppycock must have great financial backing to stage such productions. He is very polished and professional.

I just don't see Fighting Gravity. It is so boring after the first show. Once you figure out what they are doing - so what? I mean, what's the big deal? I think they should all go back to school because that act can get tiring awfully fast.

I like classical music, but I get uneasy when kids don't have a 'normal' life in their foundational years. I don't think money is everything and I think often adults have problems later in life when they have stardom in childhood, especially when so young.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,838,785 times
I wish they had a minimum age limit like 18 for AGT.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 AM

154 posts, read 99,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I just don't see Fighting Gravity. It is so boring after the first show. Once you figure out what they are doing - so what? I mean, what's the big deal? I think they should all go back to school because that act can get tiring awfully fast.
While this is somewhat true, I still find it fascinating that they can do that, even when I know how it's done. Also keep in mind that if you went to see them perform, the guys in black wouldn't be revealed until the very end of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I wish they had a minimum age limit like 18 for AGT.
Watch out for LordBalfor after that comment!!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post
Watch out for LordBalfor after that comment!!
Nothing wrong with the competition setting an 18 year minimum age limit - but they didn't do that so that's the way it is. Under those circumstances, the contestant with the best talent should win - regardless of their age. In fact, in AGT's very first season the winner was a child (Bianca Ryan - who was 11 at the time).

Ken

Old 09-10-2010, 10:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 1,838,785 times
I just think few children have the maturity level to handle public rejection/criticism or the pressure of competing on this level. As an audience member I hate to watch it and I would think as a judge it would be very difficult to treat kids the same as adults. I would support a separate show for kids only.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I just think few children have the maturity level to handle public rejection/criticism or the pressure of competing on this level.
As a general rule I would say that is true - one need only look at the latest BS by the Bieber brat (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/390964...entertainment/) to see just how badly kids in the spotlight can behave - however, from what I can tell Evancho seems to be cut from a bit different mold. She seems to be handling the pressure pretty well and - though she no doubt misses home - enjoying the experience. One can only hope and trust that her parents will continue to bring her up right (as they seem to have done so far) and that - once the hectic pace of the show and the follow-on tour is over - that they pace her appearances etc. If they do, she should be fine. If they don't, then there will be problems. This is not first talent contest Jackie has entered - but it will likely be the last. After this, she'll be a star.

Ken

Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM

5,674 posts, read 10,056,762 times
Michael Grimm was absolutely FANTASTIC tonight! Only one word can describe his performance........WOW!! I think Prince Poppycock could have very well blown it tonight. It was just too serious of a performance! Jackie is on at this minute and singing her heart out. What a voice!! Standing ovation for her just like for Michael......judges included. Again, what a voice!! But, at age 10, does Sin City want someone that young performing there?
What will "Gravity" come up with now?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,080,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Michael Grimm was absolutely FANTASTIC tonight! Only one word can describe his performance........WOW!! I think Prince Poppycock could have very well blown it tonight. It was just too serious of a performance! Jackie is on at this minute and singing her heart out. What a voice!! Standing ovation for her just like for Michael......judges included. Again, what a voice!! But, at age 10, does Sin City want someone that young performing there?
What will "Gravity" come up with now?
I could see Michael in Vegas. His voice grows on me. I was let down w/ Prince Poppycock, but still think he'd be an awesome act in Vegas. Fighting Gravity was good, but that noticeable mistake may have cost them. Although I'm not an opera fan, there's no denying Jackie is a star. Her performance was the best tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV