U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM

137 posts, read 257,399 times

Advertisements

It's going to take them half a season just to untangle the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:06 PM

362 posts, read 351,775 times
I agree! So much happened - quite the cliffhanger. I think the reason Chin went back to HPD is so that he can prove Steve's innocence. I've thought the Gov. was dirty ever since she met with that bad dude over lunch. And Wo Fat is one bad fothermucker.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM

25,092 posts, read 32,528,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I found myself yelling at the TV....No NOT STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Cann too, he is great but Alex, man!!!!!!!! Cant wait till the next season.
The Governor being dirty was an excellent plot twist. Never saw that coming.

And it sounds like whathisface(the Asian dude from LOST-forgot his name) made a deal to turn in Steve and maybe even his cousin and is now back on the force.

If that's true, what a jerk!

Also, poor Dano-right when everything in his personal life was about to be perfect, this happens.

Anyway, I CANT WAIT....LOL.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And it sounds like whathisface(the Asian dude from LOST-forgot his name) made a deal to turn in Steve and maybe even his cousin and is now back on the force.
Nope, I don't believe that. Chin knows Steve and he knows what he found and where his investigation was leading. He went back to HPD to help him. I will stand by that -- we can place bets if you want.
BTW, that was his uncle who stole the $$. No way he'd be back after the investigation - they know he did it. He's too old anyway!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,218,613 times
Bad governors...not unusual...I wasn't shocked. But I'm disappointed that Steve was framed! The guy (used to be on LOST, sorry I literally cannot use a non-LOST name for the actor)...he is staying so he can help them.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 AM

10,010 posts, read 12,114,045 times
I think it will come down to Steves phone. When she pushed stop she probably didn't push it well enough and it kept recording and didn't delete. Dano will find it at some point.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
The guy (used to be on LOST, sorry I literally cannot use a non-LOST name for the actor)...he is staying so he can help them.
LOL - Jin/Chin - close enough!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM

4,847 posts, read 5,167,430 times
I dunno if this OBVIOUS point has been mentioned but...
Grace Park is hot hot hot!
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 02:33 AM..

Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM

10,010 posts, read 12,114,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I dunno if this OBVIOUS point has been mentioned but...
Grace Park is hot hot hot!
yes she is gorgeous.. but I prefer

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-09-2014 at 02:33 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I agree. I feel that most people's memories of the original has been elevated with the passing of time. I never cared for Jack Lord and felt his acting was one-dimensional and 'stiff'. Where was the emotion? The writing was cheesy by today's standards. The original has become more of a 1960's iconic tv show.
The new series is well written and well acted. I hope it lasts.
Then you weren't paying attention when you watched, or cannot recognize different emotions. I've come across a lot of people who keep calling Jack "one-dimensional" and "stiff," and that only shows they did not watch him. He had range, and he showed emotions. This is not an opinion. I've watched the original recently, and have seen Jack show a lot of range - fear, concern, warmth, anger. He was serious and stoic a lot, yes, so is Alex, and given that the character that both men play is ex-military and works in law enforcement, that is an apt portrayal. The character is not comedic nor can he be. Where's the emotion, you say? It was all over. Being wooden and stiff means an actor or actress has no life to them. They are dull and can't even be serious and cold. Being serious and cold are emtions as well as being funny, kind, and sad.

How was the writing cheesy? Cheesy means inauthentic, inferior, or of a low grade. What was inauthentic, inferior, or low-grade about the writing on the original? I can describe the writing on the new show with those words, though. Since you haven't seen the original recently, and may not have seen it in years, and were not watching it properly when you did see it, I don't think you'd be able to recall specific dialogue that you felt was inferior.

Emotion? watch this:

Once Upon A Time Pt. 1 - YouTube

Once Upon a Time Pt 2 - YouTube

Once Upon a Time pt 3 - YouTube

Once Upon a Time pt 4 - YouTube

And there were many more like it.

Today's standards of dialogue include insipid banter, cursing, and joking around. There isn't anything intelligent, powerful, or thought-provoking there. I'm talking about modern shows in general, not just the new Five-O.

Yes, the original became iconic, and for good reasons. It was a police procedural, so they are basing the actions of the main characters on how police go about their jobs in real life, so some of it is going to be formulaic. They got around that by showing the storyline through the eyes of the criminals and victims, showing the main characters discussing the cases with each other, and in their interactions with victims and witnesses. With the different motivations for action on the part of the characters and the element of suspense, there was nothing formulaic there.

I'm not one of those people who originally saw it in the seventies. I was born a year after the show originally ended. I've seen a lot of modern TV shows, and also older ones, so I'm not speaking from a memory of seeing the show that has faded with time, only to be embellished by compliments others heaped on it. I saw the first Five-O originally in reruns as a child more than 20 years ago, and remembered Jack Lord's acting vividly. I remembered how he threatened some criminals in one episode, beating one and threatening to break his leg because he turned a girl back onto drugs. A wooden actor could not do that.

I didn't see the show again until a few years ago, and I was not influenced by other's praise of the show or even my own memories, since it was just a few scenes and lines of dialogue I remembered. However, I still saw the show as something of value and something that was well-written and acted. The show was not 100% perfect, but it was not 100% imperfect. There were episodes with plot impossibilities and some bad dialogue, but only in a scene here and there, not throughout. That doesn't diminish the original Five-O's quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV