Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times

Advertisements

we finally watched last night. Loved the use of the old theme song! I was a bit disappointed after all the hype this show has been receiving. I have never watched a show with alex o'laughlin, but had heard so many people rave about him. sorry, but he just wasn't that good. The episode was very rushed with trying to establish the characters and might have been better had it played out over 2 episodes. Since we have a dvr and can record it, we will probably continue watching to see how things shake out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
I thought it was pretty good overall. I vaguely remember the old series because I was a child when it was originally aired and rarely watched it. I do remember the theme song. Anyway, I'll keep watching it for a while, as long it continues to hold my interest.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
I liked it. Liked the humor and the storyline, although I wish it wasn't so rushed.

Never could understand why people want the remake to be just the like the original...

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Geeze, the first show stole it's story line from the recent A-Team movie and one of the old action movies. I swear that scene on board the container ship was right out of a Schwarzenegger or James Bond flick, but I lose track of all the plots in the movies I've seen.

We'll watch show #2 tonight, but the story line sounds like part two of the first show....terrorists, national security issues, etc. I guess they only make what they know how to make in hollywood, like the old westerns; same plot, just news names for the same old bad guys.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
I thought the episode tonight was pretty darn good. I really HATE the blatant placement of the Chevy Cruze near the end. Made it seem like a commercial. Other then that, I think this show has legs.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,625 times
It may take some time for those of us who remember the original, to appreciate the new version. I like it though. It's different, but that's ok....

Old 09-27-2010, 10:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I thought the episode tonight was pretty darn good. I really HATE the blatant placement of the Chevy Cruze near the end. Made it seem like a commercial. Other then that, I think this show has legs.
Well, the original series was Ford all the way, as ALL cars were provided by Ford Motor Company, as stated in the closing credits. My old 72 Galaxie finally died about 5 years ago so you know where I lean on that one, but if they want to go with chevy this time, guess I can live with it. I enjoyed tonights episode, When McGarrett and Danno were having thier little spat about Danno's tie while cruising in the old Mercury, it would of been better.

Really I don't expect the new 5-O to have that good ole 70's feel with the doors organ music blasting right before the mob hit, and the hop head hippies running around everywhere in love beads saying "groovy" all the time. Some good episodes from the old show sometimes had very simple plots, mainlanders visiting the island on vacation and for one reason or another getting into big trouble. Such as guest stars John Ritter chasing after that coin, or Andy Griffith and pick pocket family grabbing a suit case full of money from the bad guys, or William Shatner in a country boy routine trying to blackmail the blackmailers and take over thier racket, and having it not work out so well for him.

They did some good psycho episodes too, the Judy Moon freak, or the one where the phychiatrist has his home, office and car bugged by the self described "full blown pscho" and giving him orders at home thru his Hi-Fi system. Think there was even a eco-terrorist episode that may have inspired peta and friends. I loved the old show and saw them all in reruns in the 80's as our local ABC channel would delay broadcast of Nightline one hour to show 5-O for about 5 years in a row. It was a very popular show !! I wish the new 5-0 all the best, I like the new Danno.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,866 times
Yes, last night was quite okay. I'll keep watching....

Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
It sucked. A modern cop show that could be recorded anywhere and and have the same results. nothing special about it that was unique to Hawaii. The original gave you some feel of Hawaii, the culture and people, but this could have been Baywatch 5-0 or Law & Order Miami 5-0 and acheive the same thing.

Using the same charactures on this remake was stupid. Would have had a bit more acceptance if these characters were the children or grandchildren of the original cast and not try to make them modern versions of the original cast, because they failed big time on that.

few on hawaii i speak with feel the show is worthy of the Hawaii 5-0 name.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
It sucked. A modern cop show that could be recorded anywhere and and have the same results. nothing special about it that was unique to Hawaii. The original gave you some feel of Hawaii, the culture and people, but this could have been Baywatch 5-0 or Law & Order Miami 5-0 and acheive the same thing.

Using the same charactures on this remake was stupid. Would have had a bit more acceptance if these characters were the children or grandchildren of the original cast and not try to make them modern versions of the original cast, because they failed big time on that.

few on hawaii i speak with feel the show is worthy of the Hawaii 5-0 name.
I think you doomed the show in your mind even before it came on. You can't ever compare remakes of anything to the original. FYI, the new version is filmed in Hawaii, unless something has changed since then. Hawaii Five-0 to use Honolulu Advertiser building - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

They are holding their own in the ratings, 12.7 million viewers last night. Monday Finals: Castle Adjusted Down; Chuck, Rules, Hawaii Five-0, 90210 Adjusted Up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV