Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times

Advertisements

It seems they just wanted a "team" event. Did any of you guys ever see that Debbie Travis debacle of a design contest they had on? THAT is precisely what this reminds me of. We are seeing them in a team environment which one poster says correctly just does not work when the prize is an individual one. I think the way they use to do it: breaking it in to teams of two with each team having one room to complete as part of a whole house is so much better. Currently, they are given a VERY tight timeframe which just results in pooh coming out the other end. One thing I will say, they do not seem to have any cost restriction. Those rugs alone the other night could have blown a realistic budget.

That one guy Alex Sanchez is not going to make it. This is the second challenge where he really under-estimated the time. The first challenge he was on his own - this one the guys were able to jump in and help him out with the headboard. I really think Courtland did a fantastic job with that free-hand painting of the stripes on the wall.

I really do hope this show improves because I have SO enjoyed it in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I really do hope this show improves because I have SO enjoyed it in the past.
It's not going to "improve."

Last year HGTV brought in Mark Burnett, producer of Trump's The Apprentice, to revamp Design Star, a program many viewers didn't think needed to be changed. The result was a switcheroo of rules, new personalities for the judges, and Antonio as the winner, which was no-doubt pre-ordained to appeal to a younger and more male audience, the goal of hiring Burnett. The network thought they could make lightning strike twice by finding a "designer" -- I use the term loosely regarding Antonio -- who could do for HGTV what Guy Fieri did for the Food Network. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to notice that Guy is genuine, charming, and reasonably intelligent -- all characteristics missing in the blustery, posturing Antonio, whose idea of living on the edge is painting everything black and talking on his cell phone while he drives.

This year, with the eviction of Clive, the show probably has become even more of a Trump Apprentice clone. I only know what I read on the boards since I've pulled the plug on the show at my house. Someone has to teach them a lesson. Seriously, lower ratings are the only thing that can bring a network to its senses, but judging from other decisions made by the HGTV honchos recently, their response will just be A.) to cancel the show and get another import from Canada, or B.) to make a "Celebrity Design Star."

They certainly don't like to admit when they make mistakes.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

Last year HGTV brought in Mark Burnett, producer of Trump's The Apprentice, to revamp Design Star, a program many viewers didn't think needed to be changed. The result was a switcheroo of rules, new personalities for the judges, and Antonio as the winner, which was no-doubt pre-ordained to appeal to a younger and more male audience, the goal of hiring Burnett. The network thought they could make lightning strike twice by finding a "designer" -- I use the term loosely regarding Antonio -- who could do for HGTV what Guy Fieri did for the Food Network. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to notice that Guy is genuine, charming, and reasonably intelligent -- all characteristics missing in the blustery, posturing Antonio, whose idea of living on the edge is painting everything black and talking on his cell phone while he drives.

This year, with the eviction of Clive, the show probably has become even more of a Trump Apprentice clone. I only know what I read on the boards since I've pulled the plug on the show at my house. Someone has to teach them a lesson. Seriously, lower ratings are the only thing that can bring a network to its senses, but judging from other decisions made by the HGTV honchos recently, their response will just be A.) to cancel the show and get another import from Canada, or B.) to make a "Celebrity Design Star."

great,great post.
As soon as I saw Mark Burnett's name on the credits I thought, "oh s*it"
I'll hang in there for this season, if only because nothing else is on Sunday nights. But not sure if I will hang for another season.
I've always said Antonio was a doofus. Didn't know M. Burnett was in on it last year ; that might explain Antonio winning.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I had read an article where they interviewed Genevieve Gorder who explained the changes on the show. The judges are now choosing the assignments, mentoring the contestants to a certain degree and physically interjecting themselves in the process so that they are more involved and aware of what happens along the way. Therefore basically no need for Clive.

My thought was this allows them to see some of the behind the scenes stuff that will influence how they think about each designer. That also means that what had been shown to them on the screen doesn't need to be interpreted like before. They will see the designs up close and personal.

I like the premise of all that, however I thought the editing job done on this show was choppy and not accurate to what the outcome was. It left me thinking what did we not see about the one that got sent on her way and what did they see about the one they kept?

Side note...on the Color Splash Miami, I have loved David B since before he won the first season, but I did not like either of the first two episodes. He did not he have his carpenter (whose name escapes me) nor Danielle his assistant. Instead he now has 'trainees' and none are familiar. In general that's they way the biz goes when you go someplace new and different, however the whole feel of his show was just a little 'off' to me. Enough that it was even a tiny bit frustrating that he used his 'good friend' Terry the glass maker in both shows.

Ah well, we'll see what happens next time.
Love the new format of "Design Star." It moves so much faster now. I like that they don't all have to come into the studio at the end of every episode, too.

And, I love, love, love David Bromstad's new show. Absolute inspiration, beginning to end. The new assistants are adorable and he has such a great 'palette' to work with. The mid-century dining room and patio was so me

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I must be a big dummy but I don't "get" the challenge last night.
I'm very open to someone who understood it explaining to me how those designs were supposed to influence the design of the room.
I thought it was a very odd challenge. Best as I could figure, what the designers wanted were aspects of the rooms that reflected the person who would wear each of the designs. Honestly, I thought that the women actually pulled it off better - I thought that the jewel tones and material of the drapes certainly reflected the beaded gown, the combination of the wood-base lamps with the very high style mirror in the bedroom reflected the melding of the outdoorsy outfit with the gown and the more tailored suit and so on.

I guess I was seeing something completely different than what the judges saw, 'cause I didn't get the mens' rooms at all.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:33 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I thought it was a very odd challenge. Best as I could figure, what the designers wanted were aspects of the rooms that reflected the person who would wear each of the designs. Honestly, I thought that the women actually pulled it off better - I thought that the jewel tones and material of the drapes certainly reflected the beaded gown, the combination of the wood-base lamps with the very high style mirror in the bedroom reflected the melding of the outdoorsy outfit with the gown and the more tailored suit and so on.

I guess I was seeing something completely different than what the judges saw, 'cause I didn't get the mens' rooms at all.
thanks for explaining your view. It was a dumb challenge,IMHO, and I too thought the men did a better job.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:

I so far don't like any of the designers. This could be because they have done nothing to show their stuff. I "watched" the last one while in the other room, and went in to see the final result. Boorring

I want to see design and their sense of color and the style, and not see people being pushed under the bus. So far I don't see any of them that I care enough about to want to watch even if they win.

I actually do like Antonio's stuff, but its a very particular style and his problem is he doesn't have the flexability to mold things another way. I also like that as an artist he is self taught and the talent is out of the box. The problem is that he is not going to fit with your average design job and that is something their hosts MUST be able to do.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Love the new format of "Design Star." It moves so much faster now. I like that they don't all have to come into the studio at the end of every episode, too.

It's good to hear that some of the audience likes the new quicker format. As for me, I don't like it at all. First there is the quick challenge. Then the loosing team does a defending challenge. Followed by the bottom two have their video shown. It feels all rushed.

Maybe this will level out after there aren't so many contestants.

I like all the judges, but am I the only one who remembers the barefoot Genevieve who glued moss to a wall and lots of other ugly wacky designs on Trading Spaces?

Old 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I must be a big dummy but I don't "get" the challenge last night.
I'm very open to someone who understood it explaining to me how those designs were supposed to influence the design of the room.
I didn't get it either. It made no sense. One design per room might work, but multiple designs were stupid.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Quote:

The Apprentice is only one of his shows. He's also behind Survivor, which has been on far longer than Trump's show, Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader and Martha Stewart, just to name 3 of the so very many. Some are international shows as well, like Apprentice with a UK version and an Ireland version.

Not saying I like those shows, but he's definitely got some huge successes under his belt along with all kinds of awards, including some Emmys.

This is the first season Burnett has been involved, not last season. Last season they made some changes too, like the judges chose the winner, not the voting audience, which is the only way I think that Antonio could have won.

I'm not fond of this years changes just yet, but it's only been two shows so it still has a chance to get better. One can only hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV