U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,563,597 times
Reputation: 1934

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Planting 300 palm trees would be interesting , but 300 maples, yeah ok whatever, trees.
I think maples are more beautiful than palms. Maples, like other hardwoods, grow tall with many branches and change color in the fall. Palms just sit there looking stupid and attract giant roaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2011, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Here is a Shantung Maple aka Fire Dragon. They are absolutely beautiful trees, especially in the fall.

Speaking of palm trees, we're seeing more of them being planted in East Texas landscapes. The new Chuy's Mexican Cafe going up on South Broadway has a whole city block of tall ones about to be planted. I'll try to get some quick snap shots later on today. Not sure what the variety is, but they're big & hardy looking palms.


Signaturegardens.com

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-21-2011 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,559,461 times
Reputation: 1515
We actually could use more trees in certain areas of Tyler. Way too much clear cutting has gone on in the last 20 plus years. Yes, the city now has a voluntary landscape ordinance but that hasn't helped much. Way too much asphalt was laid over the landscape recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
We actually could use more trees in certain areas of Tyler. Way too much clear cutting has gone on in the last 20 plus years. Yes, the city now has a voluntary landscape ordinance but that hasn't helped much. Way too much asphalt was laid over the landscape recently.
Outside of the loop yeah. Inner loop has mature trees all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,505 posts, read 3,837,888 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I think maples are more beautiful than palms. Maples, like other hardwoods, grow tall with many branches and change color in the fall. Palms just sit there looking stupid and attract giant roaches.
I haven't seen any giant roaches in the palms, must be a Houston thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 PM
 
3,424 posts, read 5,215,448 times
Reputation: 1819
This is such a strange thread to me. (A good one, but strange) But because Im a Tyler booster, Im obligated to support it. Firstly, does Tyler REALLY need to PLANT trees? Secondly, are PLANTED trees really something to exalt Tyler for? Thirdly, cant ANY city plant trees if they want to?

That said, Im glad Tyler is doing it, because as Mark said before, Tyler has undergone an awful lot of clearcutting as of recent, in order to build new schools and businesses. I just hope it doesnt develop that overly manicured/premeditated look. I wish Tyler would just leave some of its natural scenery as is, instead of chopping it down, and then meticulously PLANTING plots of replacement trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is such a strange thread to me. (A good one, but strange) But because Im a Tyler booster, Im obligated to support it. Firstly, does Tyler REALLY need to PLANT trees? Secondly, are PLANTED trees really something to exalt Tyler for? Thirdly, cant ANY city plant trees if they want to?

That said, Im glad Tyler is doing it, because as Mark said before, Tyler has undergone an awful lot of clearcutting as of recent, in order to build new schools and businesses. I just hope it doesnt develop that overly manicured/premeditated look. I wish Tyler would just leave some of its natural scenery as is, instead of chopping it down, and then meticulously PLANTING plots of replacement trees.
Trees for Tyler is a non-profit group that has been around for over 25 years (most of my adult life).

The mayor's goal is to have 5,000 trees planted within 5 years. Its just 2 years into the project & already 3,000 have been planted, exceeding expectations.

True, inside of the loop there are plenty of mature natural trees, but venture outside of that urban loop & thats where destructive development has taken place clear cutting once thickly covered piney forests.

Most of the targeted sites being planted are at the newer parks & along the city's extensive bike paths.

Tyler was recently designated a "Tree City USA" as of last year which is kind of ironic given our location. Its a title we should have had a long time ago & I think thats what baffles me the most about the whole thing.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-21-2011 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
 
2,632 posts, read 3,559,461 times
Reputation: 1515
I was referring to mostly outside the loop. However, when Toys R Us came in years ago, they clear cutted along with the new Wal-Mart on the westside, the older Wal-Mart on South Broadway even the very old Green Acres shopping center has thousands of square feet of asphalt and no trees. There are other areas inside the loop where small business have recently built but did not replace the trees. But by far the biggest clear cut is down the "South Broadway boom area" the Old Jacksonville Highway, where evey one of the huge trees, sporatically for several miles, have been cut down. That area has gone from thick forest to city in just a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
 
Location: At the Root
717 posts, read 697,391 times
Reputation: 366
Are there any trees over 80 feet in Tyler that aren't pines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Are there any trees over 80 feet in Tyler that aren't pines?
My next door neighbor has an 80 ft. tall sweet gum in their back yard, so yes, there are tall trees in Tyler that are not pines.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7645782_la...tree-grow.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top