Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Children’s Park Plans Expansion To Meet Usage Demands
By JACQUE HILBURN-SIMMONS

Staff Writer

What started as a mother's effort to honor the memory of her unborn son is touching the lives of families, in ways not fully expected.

The Children's Park, at the corner of Dobbs Street and Broadway Avenue, is becoming such a preferred place for gathering, supporters are planning to expand.

“What we didn't anticipate is the large number of people who visit,” founder Jennifer Carson said. “We can have anywhere between 250 and 300 people visiting at one time. It's wonderful.”

The Children's Park originally was designed for small numbers, serving as a type of memory garden to honor the lives of all children.

The 2.2-acre park is filled with the names of children, living and deceased, engraved along the sidewalk and on plaques.

Bronze statues pay tribute to the forever young.

So many people seem to find peace in the park, they want to mark significant life events in the tranquil surroundings — weddings, special occasions and events.

“We're so thankful the city has embraced it like they have,” Ms. Carson said. “Now that we've been here for a while, we can see how the park is being used.”

To ensure the enjoyment of all who visit, it’s important to address the need for increased space — additional seating and a quiet place for reflection.

Phase II will address those needs and others, Mark Spencer, MHS Planning & Design, said.

The next leg of the development will expand the park to the south, transforming part of the unused space into a prayer and meditation garden.

Offices for the Children are a Gift Foundation, the group overseeing the park, are in a nearby house that faces Hogg Middle School.

Foundation members hope to purchase, renovate and then donate the 1940s-era house to the city, carving out a small meeting room for gathering and adding a backyard deck for seating.

As part of its proposal, the foundation also plans to lease out the house for special gatherings and give the proceeds to the city to help cover the costs of the park’s upkeep.

Spencer said the addition of the house adds a completely different element to the overall project.

“It has the opportunity to be real special,” Spencer said. “The key thing this does is tie both sides of the creek together.”

The basic element of the Children’s Park — the concept of “natural play” — will remain unchanged.

There are no jungle gyms or merry-go-rounds, just open spaces, a soft carpet of grass and a big round granite teddy bear statue perfect for climbing.

Ms. Carson said the intentional omission of playground equipment allows children of all ages to use their imaginations — running, climbing, spending time together in a safe environment.

“We’ve noticed dads are down there a lot, climbing around and playing with their kids,” she said. “It’s wonderful.”

Parks Director Stephanie Rollings said the project is well-planned.
“Jennifer obviously has done her homework,” she said.

City staff will assist in making sure renovations are compliant with codes and ordinances.

Parks Board members voiced support for the project. The Tyler City Council is expected to review the project in the coming weeks.

The Children’s Park was inspired by Elena’s Children’s Park in Dallas, organized in tribute of a 3-year-old girl killed in a 1997 traffic collision.

Ms. Carson learned about the park as she and her husband were grieving the loss of their son, Braden, who died in 1999 shortly before birth.

After much encouragement from family and friends, Ms. Carson approached the city about starting a similar project in Tyler.

Community support for the plan grew. By 2004, seven tree- and vine-filled lots purchased at Rowland Place and Broadway Avenue, north of Hogg Middle School, were transformed into a park.

The completed park features a children’s story circle, a beautiful butterfly garden and two waterfalls, trickling gently into a fish pond.

Cobblestone walkways and seating benches encourage visitors to linger and relax.

“It’s just so wonderful,” Ms. Carson said. “God had a plan.”

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-29-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 03:00 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
wow, Tylers is just going all out.

Trees, parks.

Watch out, sounds like Texas's next boom city

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-05-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 03:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Lol...."urban" still makes me giggle

There are some pics of that park in this here thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...1-04-07-a.html

Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM

I like those pics of Tyler. Interesting

Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Lol...."urban" still makes me giggle

There are some pics of that park in this here thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...1-04-07-a.html
Lay off the wacky tobaccy, Al.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07056.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07057.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07058.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07059.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07060.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07061.jpg (broken link)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i222/issaaa/Houston/Tyler1-07062.jpg (broken link)

Photo credits to RGV of C-D

Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM

333 posts, read 639,049 times
That actually is a pretty cool looking park

Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lay off the wacky tobaccy, Al.
all of City-Data wishes he would

Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
Cool, yes. Urban?.....

In all fairness, that general area is among the most beautiful in Tyler, and is filled with some of neatest old homes you'll see in the entire state of Texas.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
Before 2004 it was nothing more than underbrush & woods where people threw their trash in the creek.

Indeed a major transformation into something truly special for the parents & youth of Tyler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: