U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:29 PM

717 posts, read 697,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Highway miles are better than city miles on any automobile no matter how fast or slow you're going. I thought everyone knew that?
I'm talking about burning gas and how much it's going to be taking out of your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,572,098 times
I think Charlie Brown may be like a friend of mine -- someone that just prefers the faster pace of a large city. Someone like that is not going to be happy in a smaller, slower-paced city such as Tyler. Personally, I prefer the smaller city to live in and go to the large city sometimes. I loved the Tyler area when I was in school in TX (in San Antonio) back in the "dark ages" (LOL), which is why I plan to move to Tyler in a few years when I semi-retire.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Yeah I do prefer big cities, but I've lived in small places before. I live in one now. I wasn't trying to show any bias against Tyler, I just wanted to make sure Atlguy39 knew what to expect.

The change from Atlanta to Tyler is a drastic one, and can be overwhelming for someone who's used to having so much around them. I'm not trying to scare him, but forewarned is forearmed.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,601,372 times
His point was making a move from Atlanta and Tyler is a big transition. A person moving from a large city can't expect the same offerings and amenities of a large city in a smaller city. You settle and adapt. Tyler offers more than enough for its size and it's centrally located between Shreveport and Dallas.

I think Tyler will offer you enough to the point where you wouldn't have to drive to Dallas every other week. However, just know this because some people have this flawed logic where they think they can move from a major city to a smaller town and expect to be able to enjoy the same things. Yet, get there and complain about the lack of cultural amenities, attractions, diversity, food and more.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,253,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
Do people really need the big city amenities of DFW 24/7? You can get all your needs met in Tyler, I'm sure. Try growing up just north of Ferriday, LA. Then you can talk about having to drive to do stuff.

Move to Tyler. It's a mighty nice town.
Good to know. My interview is in the morning. While this shouldn't be a concern, my biggest concern is being able to meet a woman to settle down with, since I'm starting all over. I'd rather be in a larger city, though not as big as Atlanta, where I am now. My other concern is boredom, but at this point, thats not as big a deal as the desire to settle down and have a family.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,596,908 times
I grew up in a small town of less than 1,000 people, lived in Longview for a few years (very near Tyler in location and size), and recently moved to Dallas. The biggest change was definitely moving from the small town to Longview. There isn't a huge difference for day-to-day life between small cities like Tyler and Longview and large ones like Dallas. You'll have dozens of grocery stores to choose from instead of hundreds, dozens of bars to choose from instead of hundreds, etc. There are some things you'll be missing out on, but it's not staggeringly different. There isn't that much to adapt to. Move to a small town and you'll be dying to move to Tyler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Highway miles are better than city miles on any automobile no matter how fast or slow you're going. I thought everyone knew that?
So who do you know that drives 90 miles from one part of Dallas to another?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
Atlanta Guy, I didn't think you had to go to bars and clubs anymore to meet a wowman. Remember you are talking about marrying and kids. Also Tyler has a very good East Texas Symphony Orchestra and lived in Houston for 20 years and it compares suprisingly very comparable.

Also, UT Tyler built a 20 million dollars plus Cowan Performing Arts Center 20 years ago. Plays and many performances that only go to large cities like Dallas, stop in nearby Tyler. Many lakes around to play it if you like. And golf courses abound. Good luck on your choice.

Oh, yes it would be a considerable adjustment to Atlanta, but maybe not as much as you think. Let us know how your interview came out today.

Oh, did you get to see the Wings Over Texas Air Show at the airport air museum Saturday for the Fourth of July Celebration?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:13 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,253,483 times
Mark, thats a good point about bars and clubs. I don't like the scene anyway, plus I won't meet quality in places like that. I just want to know if the demographics are favorable for a guy looking for a woman early-mid 30's to settle down with.

I think the interview went well. It lasted an hour and a half, so a good sign I guess. It was a phone interview, so I haven't seen Tyler yet. The next step would be to go there for the next interview.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I grew up in a small town of less than 1,000 people, lived in Longview for a few years (very near Tyler in location and size), and recently moved to Dallas. The biggest change was definitely moving from the small town to Longview. There isn't a huge difference for day-to-day life between small cities like Tyler and Longview and large ones like Dallas. You'll have dozens of grocery stores to choose from instead of hundreds, dozens of bars to choose from instead of hundreds, etc. There are some things you'll be missing out on, but it's not staggeringly different. There isn't that much to adapt to. Move to a small town and you'll be dying to move to Tyler.

So who do you know that drives 90 miles from one part of Dallas to another?
I guess it would depend on what type of life you were living in the big city. For me, Dallas to Tyler would definitely be a difficult change.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,596,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I guess it would depend on what type of life you were living in the big city. For me, Dallas to Tyler would definitely be a difficult change.
I just don't see it. I mean in a city like Tyler, you can't often go to concerts of famous musicians or see major league sports, but those aren't things people do very often anyway. It does have plenty of bars with local music. You can't find a lot of very specialized stores, but you can find most things and the rest is on eBay. You don't have as many museums but you can more easily get out of the city and do some rural sightseeing, dirt biking, etc. I am enjoying it in Dallas and have no desire to move back to Longview, but I don't feel like my lifestyle has changed much and for the right incentive, I would move back to a small city. That's just how I feel. A small town would take a lot more coaxing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or