Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,767,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
I would think if the bar/club scene and going to a huge church, with hundreds of single or previously married women your age is not it, then what is wrong with the internet match game?

Oh, Tyler, like I said, at least has a very good symphony orchestra, I have Houston as a comparison, and the UT Cowen Performing Arts Center, built 20 years ago at a 20 million plus dollar cost, is a very good option for special shows, concerts, orchestra performances, some from Europe. Tyler is on the stop for many of these that go thru Dallas and Houston.

I would think that by taking your time, you could find that speical one. Good Luck
Well, this is sort of off topic, but internet dating is a complete joke. When I was married, I thought it would be easy to date (because of internet dating) if I ever was single again, not that I ever expected to be. Fast forward 2 years, and I wouldn't recommend internet dating to anyone. I'd rather pay several hundred dollars to a "matchmaker" than do internet dating again. The only reason I even tried internet dating is that I just don't approach women in everyday life. Never been good at that.

Yeah, I guess the church thing could work. I go to a mega church in Atlanta which is loaded with singles, but its actually too big to really meet people.

Anyway, still waiting to hear back from the company there. No offer yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Deal with what? I missed something? Sure there is hardly any comparison between Tyler and Atlanta, with possibly the exception of climate and scenery.
Mark, I was responding to solytaire

Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM

717 posts, read 892,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Well, Atlanta isn't flat. There's mountains and lakes here. I don't think its as hot here. But I can deal with all that if I like the people and quality of life. I also want to know about the dating scene for people in their 30's. I haven't been able to find out much on that at all. I just wouldn't want to have to drive to Dallas every weekend to try to meet available women.
Yes, Atlanta is hillier and generally greener than Tyler. It also has shorter summers and cooler winters. The high elevation tends to make the climate feel a bit more temperate. For mountains you have the Ouachitas which are several hours north of Tyler.

Tyler is a great place, and again, I'm not trying to scare you. Just want you to be prepared

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM

136 posts, read 327,766 times
I'm glad there were other opposing opinions. I have family in Tyler and go there 3-4 times per year. Honestly, I look forward to leaving each time - no matter the season.

In my case, it has nothing to do with the demographics - and obviously, I'm not there to find a mate (but I'd agree with the other poster's warnings on that). But what really drives me nuts there is the traffic! If you're on any of the major streets after 7pm, well... that's fine. But any other time of day, just a simple run to Best Buy, the grocery store, or the gas station creates stress for me... and I live in Austin!

The lanes seem narrow - and it's light, after light, after light. And you've got a combination of cruisers, very fast drivers, and very slow drivers. And although I know why the city did it, making a left turn is almost impossible in places - you find yourself making U-turn, after U-turn sometimes.

Anyway, I guess I have an issue with "personal space" in Tyler. LOL...

As far as going to DFW for activities... I guess I'm the only one who feels that they'd rather not deal with that particular stretch of I-20. It's not a carefree or remotely relaxing journey. And as far as getting to Houston... HWY 79 is REALLY bad getting over to I-45. It's can be bumper to bumper with trucks and cars - all trying to get around each other.

Anyway... just for what it's worth. I live in a metro area with 1.5mil, and despise driving in, and to/from Tyler.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,041,438 times
Yes, I'm much older, divorced and attend a mega church also. Green Acres Baptist, 14,000 members but we can't even find half of them, lol, soft on the Baptist, most or many of the singles are from other denomonations and the Single Dept is very active in social stuff, so going to Bible study you wouldn't deal with the whole church, in smaller groups, you get to know or not know most anyone you want. Not guaranteeing that perfect wife. lol

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,857,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
I'm glad there were other opposing opinions. I have family in Tyler and go there 3-4 times per year. Honestly, I look forward to leaving each time - no matter the season.

In my case, it has nothing to do with the demographics - and obviously, I'm not there to find a mate (but I'd agree with the other poster's warnings on that). But what really drives me nuts there is the traffic! If you're on any of the major streets after 7pm, well... that's fine. But any other time of day, just a simple run to Best Buy, the grocery store, or the gas station creates stress for me... and I live in Austin!

The lanes seem narrow - and it's light, after light, after light. And you've got a combination of cruisers, very fast drivers, and very slow drivers. And although I know why the city did it, making a left turn is almost impossible in places - you find yourself making U-turn, after U-turn sometimes.

Anyway, I guess I have an issue with "personal space" in Tyler. LOL...

As far as going to DFW for activities... I guess I'm the only one who feels that they'd rather not deal with that particular stretch of I-20. It's not a carefree or remotely relaxing journey. And as far as getting to Houston... HWY 79 is REALLY bad getting over to I-45. It's can be bumper to bumper with trucks and cars - all trying to get around each other.

Anyway... just for what it's worth. I live in a metro area with 1.5mil, and despise driving in, and to/from Tyler.
How long has it been since you have been here to Tyler?

A lot of our roads have been expanded (Grande Blvd.) & we even have a partially complete outer loop (tollway) now. There are also the South Tyler bicycle trails which leads you through several parks & heavily wooded areas. All in all its at least 2.5 miles long. Anything & everything can be found along that route including Tyler's public transportation.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:26 PM

717 posts, read 892,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Re-read what I said.

I said outside of Atlanta the pace of life is very similar to that of Tyler. Georgia is not that big of a state with only one large city & its located in the South where the pace of life is slow in general.
To be fair, you said "Atlanta proper", not "Atlanta". There's a difference.

Outside of the urban area, yes it is similarly paced to Tyler. I'd argue that Augusta and Savannah are also a bit faster than Tyler. Macon is the most comparable to Tyler.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,041,438 times
Yep, Tyler's traffic is bad. The city population doubles during the day according to several sources. Forefathers never wanted it to grow. Therefore the largest city by far in Texas with no freeway, as I said, on purpose, not wanting to encourge growth, few to no overpasses for the same reason. Growth has been inspite of itself, little to no incentives, money, for companies to move to Tyler. Tyler prefers to brag about having the lowest city property tax rate in Texas of any city over 15,000. Instead of spending some of the property or sale tax reveune on economice development, all money is spent on streets, fire stations etc and the rest to lower the city property tax rate even more. The city is also debt free. So the only "gain" is a great city property tax rate but little to no job growth, in the last three years especially. I keep up with all stuff Tyler, as you can tell. lol

Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM

Tony, Austin was my first choice on cities to relocate to, but can't find a job in my field there. I do want to leave Atlanta, and Tyler certainly wasn't my choice, but thats where the opportunity was. I deal with horrible traffic in Atlanta daily, so not too worried, but it sounds like it might be even more annoying there in some ways.

Mark, glad its soft on the Baptist, lol. The church I go to is non-denominational and very progressive, but I wouldn't expect that there.

Yeah, I know, nobody can guarantee the perfect wife. I thought I had one and she bailed, so there you have it. I just feel some pressure (self imposed) to get on with starting a new life and having a family. I'm not getting any younger and I don't want the window to close. I know that sounds like a woman, but who wants to be an old Father?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
To be fair, you said "Atlanta proper", not "Atlanta". There's a difference.

Outside of the urban area, yes it is similarly paced to Tyler. I'd argue that Augusta and Savannah are also a bit faster than Tyler. Macon is the most comparable to Tyler.
Macon? Yikes. That would be an adjustment. Savannah is slow from what I remember. Bunch of good old boys and a little snobbish. Also, Savannah has high crime. Was considering a job there at one time. Glad I didn't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler