U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 PM

136 posts, read 289,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Why don't you take HWY. 31 through Waco, Corsicana, Brownsboro, & Chandler?

Its 4 lanes wide & not that much further if any. While 79 is the prettiest route its not the safest being only 2 lanes.
That's another way to go that I've not considered - but my main problem with that route is I-35, which is not my cup of tea. Course the last time I drove it was a couple years ago from Austin to Dallas - not sure if the construction to 3 lanes has been completed yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,115,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
That's another way to go that I've not considered - but my main problem with that route is I-35, which is not my cup of tea. Course the last time I drove it was a couple years ago from Austin to Dallas - not sure if the construction to 3 lanes has been completed yet.
I-35 between Waco & Austin was a mess the last time I drove through there. That 1 1/2 hour drive to Austin turned into more like 2 1/2 hours.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Parts of HWY. 69 South/Broadway down around Bullard & between Jacksonville & Rusk have been upgraded to freeway "standard" with 4 lanes on each side, center divider, & a few over passes. Even down in Lufkin where 69 meets 59 you will see several high flying freeway overpasses.
Yes, 69 is MUCH better than 79, and I've actually used it to Alto to get to Austin (via Crockett & Madisonville), but it adds almost an hour. At least it's not nearly as stressful.

If only 79 was wider. With all that traffic, I wonder if it's on any list to be upgraded. It sure needs it.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,115,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
Yes, 69 is MUCH better than 79, and I've actually used it to Alto to get to Austin (via Crockett & Madisonville), but it adds almost an hour. At least it's not nearly as stressful.

If only 79 was wider. With all that traffic, I wonder if it's on any list to be upgraded. It sure needs it.
155 from Palestine to Frankston is being widened to 4 lanes as we speak, but not US 79 unfortunately.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
I-35 between Waco & Austin was a mess the last time I drove through there. That 1 1/2 hour drive to Austin turned into more like 2 1/2 hours.
Currently there is construction going on between Waco and Austin to expand the lanes. Believe widening to 8 lanes; I know this is true for the Waco area; not sure how far down 35 this is planned for.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:31 PM

816 posts, read 1,678,698 times
I live in southwest Tyler near 155 and I never go on Hwy 79 and I-45 to go to Houston, it is indeed a nightmare! I prefer going on 69 and 59 if I'm going to Houston. Houston has expanded it's 59 freeway past New Caney, it is a nice road now. Only takes us 2 hours and 45 minutes to get to Kingwood from Southwest Tyler going at PSL (Posted Speed Limit).

As for Austin, I have no other choice, I go on Hwy 79 all the way and then toll road 130 and then 290 to go to Southwest Austin. Only 3 1/4 hours.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 PM

84 posts, read 170,565 times
I guess I'm kind of late coming to this conversation but here are a few tidbits about Tyler:

- Mostly lifeless downtown after 5; there are a couple of high end restaurants on 'the square' but you'll run into some bigtime snobs there and drink prices to match.

- Pretty spread out, resulting in very few walkable neighborhoods (i.e. walk to retail, restaurants, etc.)

- Horrible traffic almost everywhere for a few hours in the morning and several hours in the evening.

- Not a ton of shopping options.

- Dry city, you'll be driving 30 minutes in any direction out to get beer or alcohol.

- There isn't a single club here that isn't white trash or ghetto.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post

- Dry city, you'll be driving 30 minutes in any direction out to get beer or alcohol.
Wow... obviously I don't drink. I had no idea Smith Co. was dry.

Not that I advocate irresponsible drinking in any shape or form, but that's really archaic. People who want it, will get it - and will drive those dark roads at night just the same. Those laws don't prevent anything, other than perhaps drunks outright begging on the city streets. Just my opinion.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,605,482 times
Plus you can still drink in bars. It's just harder to buy it to drink at home where you won't have to drive afterwards. These alcohol laws are nothing more than a nuisance.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Plus you can still drink in bars. It's just harder to buy it to drink at home where you won't have to drive afterwards. These alcohol laws are nothing more than a nuisance.
A nuisance, and totally counterproductive. These laws actually promote irresponsible/risky/dangerous driving.

IMO, it has nothing to do with public safety. But that's another type of debate for another forum.

Last edited by TonyG5003; 07-07-2011 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or