U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,294,840 times

Advertisements

I may have a job offer soon here. Is there anything to do? I'm single starting over. Will I be miserable here? Its not all that close to Dallas, so am I just going to have to go to Dallas every weekend to have fun? I'm concerned that I won't be happy if I take this job in Tyler. I'd be moving from Atlanta, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,584,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I may have a job offer soon here. Is there anything to do? I'm single starting over. Will I be miserable here? Its not all that close to Dallas, so am I just going to have to go to Dallas every weekend to have fun? I'm concerned that I won't be happy if I take this job in Tyler. I'd be moving from Atlanta, GA
I'll bet you'll do just fine as long as you have the right attitude. For example, Tyler isn't really that far from Dallas as Texans and Westerners in general count distances. It's also not that far from Houston or Galveston. So, even if things you like to do are limited in Tyler (and they may not be), you'll have reasonable access to several other options if you should end up moving there.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
I'll bet you'll do just fine as long as you have the right attitude. For example, Tyler isn't really that far from Dallas as Texans and Westerners in general count distances. It's also not that far from Houston or Galveston. So, even if things you like to do are limited in Tyler (and they may not be), you'll have reasonable access to several other options if you should end up moving there.
Also you can't forget Shreveport.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM

717 posts, read 701,062 times
As a single person who had become accustomed to the city life in Atlanta, I personally would not look forward to living in a place as small as Tyler. It wouldn't even be a new experience as Tyler is basically like a small city anywhere in the south east. Pine trees, crepe myrtles, churches, conservatives, pick up trucks, etc. And no, Dallas and Houston aren't that close at all especially when you consider gas prices. Believe me when I tell you that those weekend road trips just to get to some nightlife will get old quick. I know this first hand.

Not to discourage you, but unless you're willing to trade big city living for small town, I'd reconsider my options

Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
As a single person who had become accustomed to the city life in Atlanta, I personally would not look forward to living in a place as small as Tyler. It wouldn't even be a new experience as Tyler is basically like a small city anywhere in the south east. Pine trees, crepe myrtles, churches, conservatives, pick up trucks, etc. And no, Dallas and Houston aren't that close at all especially when you consider gas prices. Believe me when I tell you that those weekend road trips just to get to some nightlife will get old quick. I know this first hand.

Not to discourage you, but unless you're willing to trade big city living for small town, I'd reconsider my options
Tyler is exactly 90 miles between both Dallas & Shreveport, or roughly a 1.5 hour drive. Most people up there spend that amount of time in rush hour traffic for crying out loud!

Tyler down to Houston is less than 200 miles or 3 hours away. I've personally made it to the North side of town where I used to live in 2.5 on many occasions when there was little to no traffic on I-45.

For a city of 100K+ & metro of 200K+ Tyler is doing just fine with amenities.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,294,840 times
Thanks Matt. Charlie Brown was scaring me, lol. The thing is, I'm unemployed and HAVE to be willing to go anywhere. I don't know what else to do at this point. So if the offer is good, I will go. I'll drive to Dallas every other weekend to have fun if I have to. I'll need to try to make friends in Dallas, as I'm sure staying in hotels wouldn't be fun. The "W" hotel there is awesome, but I couldn't afford to do that often.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thanks Matt. Charlie Brown was scaring me, lol. The thing is, I'm unemployed and HAVE to be willing to go anywhere. I don't know what else to do at this point. So if the offer is good, I will go. I'll drive to Dallas every other weekend to have fun if I have to. I'll need to try to make friends in Dallas, as I'm sure staying in hotels wouldn't be fun. The "W" hotel there is awesome, but I couldn't afford to do that often.
My bad, I wasn't trying to scare you. I was just being honest. Some people don't mind the weekly road trips. Personally, it's not for me.

I see that you'll only plan to go to Dallas every other week. That's definitely manageable. In the meantime, find a few good television shows to watch while you're at home the rest of the week. And join a library.

Its not that there's nothing to do in Tyler, but its definitely a much slower pace than Atlanta.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Tyler is exactly 90 miles between both Dallas & Shreveport, or roughly a 1.5 hour drive. Most people up there spend that amount of time in rush hour traffic for crying out loud!

Tyler down to Houston is less than 200 miles or 3 hours away. I've personally made it to the North side of town where I used to live in 2.5 on many occasions when there was little to no traffic on I-45.

For a city of 100K+ & metro of 200K+ Tyler is doing just fine with amenities.
True, but going 70MPH for more than an hour each way burns a hell of a lot more gas than simply sitting in stop and go traffic for an hour

Old 07-01-2011, 01:09 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
True, but going 70MPH for more than an hour each way burns a hell of a lot more gas than simply sitting in stop and go traffic for an hour
Highway miles are better than city miles on any automobile no matter how fast or slow you're going. I thought everyone knew that?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM

392 posts, read 627,207 times
Do people really need the big city amenities of DFW 24/7? You can get all your needs met in Tyler, I'm sure. Try growing up just north of Ferriday, LA. Then you can talk about having to drive to do stuff.

Move to Tyler. It's a mighty nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or