U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:11 PM

20 posts, read 30,391 times

Advertisements

For having a restaurant row, Tyler is one of the worst cities I've ever lived in for food. Or maybe I just hated living there so much that everything tasted disgusting. I moved to Fort Worth 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. If you're thinking you are going to meet a bunch of cool single people in Tyler to hang out with, I fear for your future dismay. Worst city for meeting people. Most everyone from Tyler has lived there since they were born, already have a close-knit group of friends, most of the singles have already moved to the big city, and what's left are families and rednecks. No offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,843,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarAlaskan View Post
For having a restaurant row, Tyler is one of the worst cities I've ever lived in for food. Or maybe I just hated living there so much that everything tasted disgusting. I moved to Fort Worth 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. If you're thinking you are going to meet a bunch of cool single people in Tyler to hang out with, I fear for your future dismay. Worst city for meeting people. Most everyone from Tyler has lived there since they were born, already have a close-knit group of friends, most of the singles have already moved to the big city, and what's left are families and rednecks. No offense.

funny you said that. just had new people--rednecks--move in next door from arkansas! hehehe cute guys, though

Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,586,879 times
You must have missed all the restuarants listed on here recently. But, Forth Worth with 700,000 population in city and a couple million in the area should be better on both counts - food , singles

Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 PM

43 posts, read 126,306 times
I retired to this area because it was cheap and not because I intended to socialize with the locals. My observation is that attractive, intelligent young people leave East Texas. They move to a city. Those who remain usually do so because of strong family commitments.

I was talking to one such individual just a week ago and he lamented that his need to help his father with his business meant he had little chance of ever leaving. He felt doomed to the need to pretend happiness with the cramped, right wing, religious extremist and racist norm in Tyler to be able to get along.

This is not to say that their aren't some young men who might meet you criteria but finding them here will be harder than if you lived in a city.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillifane View Post
I retired to this area because it was cheap and not because I intended to socialize with the locals. My observation is that attractive, intelligent young people leave East Texas. They move to a city. Those who remain usually do so because of strong family commitments.

I was talking to one such individual just a week ago and he lamented that his need to help his father with his business meant he had little chance of ever leaving. He felt doomed to the need to pretend happiness with the cramped, right wing, religious extremist and racist norm in Tyler to be able to get along.

This is not to say that their aren't some young men who might meet you criteria but finding them here will be harder than if you lived in a city.
How is Tyler racist when the city is 60% White, 25% Black, 21% Hispanic, & 2% Asian?

Seems fairly diverse to me for a small city of 100,000 people.

We have a female mayor as well as 2 Black men on city council.

The head of our local BBB is a young, beautiful, & highly educated Fillipino-American woman. Speaking of which, our Fillipino community is significantly large among Asians. The Chinese & Vietnamese community is fast growing as well. They are leaving the bigger cities of Dallas, Houston, & even Los Angeles for Tyler because there is way too much competition in those places.

Our lead traffic engineer is of Chinese descent.

There is a large & prominent Lebanese & Jewish community deeply rooted here in Tyler.

We have a couple of Korean churches as well as a Muslim mosque.

Your post is full of everything that is wrong with the ignorance towards Tyler & East Texas.

By the sound of it, you'd think we were Jasper or some po dunk one stop light town in the Deep South.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-16-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,586,879 times
Amen, Metro

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM

61 posts, read 93,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
How is Tyler racist when the city is 60% White, 25% Black, 21% Hispanic, & 2% Asian?

Seems fairly diverse to me for a small city of 100,000 people.
Tyler is diverse, so that proves it isn't racist? Interesting logic.

Racism is a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities. Diversity is the condition of being composed of different elements - in this case, races. Prevailing attitudes towards race determines whether a place is racist or not. Simply having a diverse population does not mean that a city isn't racist. I'm not arguing that Tyler is racist or engages in discriminatory practices - I actually like Tyler - but the statistics you're citing are irrelevant to your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Your post is full of everything that is wrong with the ignorance towards Tyler & East Texas.

By the sound of it, you'd think we were Jasper or some po dunk one stop light town in the Deep South
Speaking of ignorant views...

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,603,642 times
Great first post.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:06 AM

107 posts, read 95,066 times
The dating life in the longview/tyler area is extremely bad.

This is not the place to go out looking for people to meet. Especially not with the criteria you seek.

Tyler longview area is very redneckish. There are some metro like people here, but they are a very small minority. I'm 29 and I've been single for about 5 years now because it's too difficult to meet people. I tried the online dating thing here for about 6 months and it was a disaster. Most all of the women who show any interest are over-weight single mothers. And those that don't show interest usually have a requirement of " Must have Ph.D, Masters Degree, Bachelors Degree. Must make 75,000 dollars a year and all that crap. It's frustrating for sure to try and meet a normal person as most of these people are already married.

It kinda doesn't make much sense when you look at the gender ratio here. There's about 2,000 more females than males in Longview, and about 8,000 more females in tyler. Sigh I hate it here. But I'm stuck here until I can land a decent job unfortunatly.

My advice is...I dunno. I guess online dating. That's really your only option. You could try the local club or bars but they are very trashy and it's mostly blacks that go there. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,843,786 times
a coworker of mine here has doctor's degree, is making an upwards of 60k annually, looks cute enough but when he went to clubs to ask some girls to dance, all girls turned him down. he can be socially awkward, but im surprised that he has been single since he moved from OH to tyler last year. another coworker of mine, a caucasian from south africa, is getting married next year to a a pretty tyler lady. so, i dunno...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler