U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM

16,529 posts, read 8,016,856 times

Advertisements

Leading Locations for 2012: Which MSAs Rank Highest for Economic & Job Growth? | Area Development Online

Those four MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Areas) are:

2. Odessa
6. Midland
11. Austin
22. Longview

The other areas represented in the TOP TWENTY FIVE are:

Columbus, Indiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Bismark, North Dakota
Fargo, Minnesota
San Jose, California
Casper, Wyoming
Morganville, West Virginia
Columbia, Missouri
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oklahoma City, OK
Charleston, SC
Nashville, TN
Dubuque, Iowa
Manhattan, Kansas
Knoxville, TN
State College, PA
Trenton, NJ
Washington, DC
Boston, MA
Holland, Michigan
Owensboro, KY

Tyler area ranked 40. Not shabby!

Go, Texas! And go, South (eight out of twenty five top locations!) And go, oil and gas industry (big part of the picture in at least 8 of those locations as well!).

It's not doom and gloom everywhere, folks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 04:46 PM

12,424 posts, read 13,574,176 times
East Texas has a growing, stable economy & we should all be so grateful for that.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,166,931 times
Wow I gotta move to one of these places!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM

jacob, things are pretty good around here. We've weathered the recession and long term stagnation of the economy very well. Plus - the people of northeast Texas are GREAT! Very friendly. Come on!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,374,940 times
Like I said Tyler citizens voted about 14-16 years ago for Low cities Taxes and a debt free city not job creation. I think that will one day be a mistake but for now. The lowest city property tax rate of any city in Texas over 15,000 and lower than most of the smaller ones, but a few cities sit or oil or gas fields and have lower rates. And Tyler has been debt free for the last two or three years and plans on no debt, or bonds.

Longview still below Tyler's pop growth rate and numbers and three times the city tax rate and not near debt free, but trys to spend tax money on job growth and incentives to attract companies, good idea I think. Tyler should ask for another election to send some tax money on job creation. Most likely would still be in the bottom or near bottom on tax rate, no plans or talks on a new election.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Both Longview and Tyler have their pros and cons, but both cities are assets to East Texas.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:27 AM

107 posts, read 46,641 times
There aren't many jobs here in Lview though. Maybe if you're college educated. But if you don't have a college education, stay faaaar far away. There's literally no jobs for the high school educated. It's pretty depressing.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,067,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
There aren't many jobs here in Lview though. Maybe if you're college educated. But if you don't have a college education, stay faaaar far away. There's literally no jobs for the high school educated. It's pretty depressing.
That's pretty much anywhere partner. Even jobs that pay a little over min. wage require you to have some college education in any city. I just feel as though Longview needs more entertainment centers or something along those lines.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher11 View Post
Longview's unemployment rate is FAR below the national average and also lower than Tyler's. I know we got spoiled a few years back to a 4 percent unemployment rate but even now, in this recession that they're saying isn't a recession, it's only about 6.5. That's not a bad unemployment rate, even in better economic times.

Someone with a high school education and a CDL can make very good money around here. That's just one option. Plenty of people with nothing more than a CDL and a GED make over $100,000 a year in the oilfield.

Another option that people often overlook - I guess because it's not sexy enough - is fast food management. Because the turnover is so high in the industry, a person who works hard can move into management quickly in fast food. From the restaurant level to regional (over several stores or even more) can often be accomplished in less than three years. Fast food managers (one store) usually make around $50,000 and up. Once you get to a regional level your income can easily fall between $75,000 and $100,000 a year within 8 years or so.

I know a girl who is under 30 - she now manages 11 Subways and is pulling in over $100,000 a year, plus benefits. No college.

Banking may be an option for you. You can start as a teller and quickly move to head teller or personal banker. You don't need a college degree for that and they will train you on the job. The pay is mediocre at first but there are bonuses and good opportunities to advance, and the benefits packages are usually GREAT. Plus, you will not generally work more than 35-40 hours a week, so it gives you a good quality of life.

Check out the staffing companies like Express and Jean Simpson. Express is the best. No fee to you. Hint though - stay in touch with them on a weekly and even daily basis. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't just go for one interview with them and then expect them to call you - YOU call them and tell them, "Don't forget about me - I'm ready to work!"

Just a couple of suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler