Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,846,374 times

Advertisements

"Nichols said he understands there were two Popeyes chains in Tyler that closed down sometime in the 1990s because the owner sold the property after no one in his family wanted to take over the business when he retired."

Read on here:

http://http://www.tylerpaper.com/art...SS01/307159994
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,339,035 times
link could not be found, but yay! now if only tyler will get white castle or cosmic dave's subs

Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM

White Castle would never make it in Texas. Their wimpy meat patties are not worthy in this "Everything Is Bigger" state. I had a Krystal Burger (White Castle equivalent) one time in Houston & will never go back. I don't even know if its still open.

Never heard of Cosmic Daves, but we already have plenty of options here when it comes to subs & sandwiches (Jersey Mikes, Jimmy Johns, Shlotzski's, Jason's Deli, Subway).

The Popeyes will be located off of Elm Street & the West Loop near HWY 64. There are plans to open more franchises in Tyler if that one is successful.

There used to be two Popeye's in Tyler, one on South Broadway where Ming's sits & a second location in North Tyler off of Gentry.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
White Castle would never make it in Texas. Their wimpy meat patties are not worthy in this "Everything Is Bigger" state. I had a Krystal Burger (White Castle equivalent) one time in Houston & will never go back. I don't even know if its still open.

Never heard of Cosmic Daves, but we already have plenty of options here when it comes to subs & sandwiches (Jersey Mikes, Jimmy Johns, Shlotzski's, Jason's Deli, Subway).

The Popeyes will be located off of Elm Street & the West Loop near HWY 64. There are plans to open more franchises in Tyler if that one is successful.

There used to be two Popeye's in Tyler, one on South Broadway where Ming's sits & a second location in North Tyler off of Gentry.
Dont forget Quiznos, Blimpies and McAllisters.

Im not sure why popeyes ever left Tyler, but I think the one on gentry was probably pushed out by that Church's right there. Why they'd build another one right up the street from another Church's again, when Church's pushed them out the first time, is beyond me. Although, really, Classic Southern Chicken and Chicken Express filled the vacancy rather nicely.

Last edited by soletaire; 07-17-2012 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,339,035 times
i know, i know white castle is so itsy bitsy for texas, but it could help people learn to downsize their portions

cosmic dave's (a hippy cleveland, OH sub shop) would probably fit better in austin, but i love their subs more than jimmy john's, subway, schlotzki's or jason's deli. i yet have to try jersey mikes but i doubt it will be better than cosmic dave's.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Not too much on Krystal and White Castle. No one's ever claimed they're fine gourmet, but they're perfect for the munchies and "morning after" food.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i know, i know white castle is so itsy bitsy for texas, but it could help people learn to downsize their portions

cosmic dave's (a hippy cleveland, OH sub shop) would probably fit better in austin, but i love their subs more than jimmy john's, subway, schlotzki's or jason's deli. i yet have to try jersey mikes but i doubt it will be better than cosmic dave's.
Not me! You'd be surprised at how many of those little things I can stuff down my throat.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Dont forget Quiznos, Blimpies and McAllisters.

Im not sure why popeyes ever left Tyler, but I think the one on gentry was probably pushed out by that Church's right there. Why they'd build another one right up the street from another Church's again, when Church's pushed them out the first time, is beyond me. Although, really, Classic Southern Chicken and Chicken Express filled the vacancy rather nicely.
Popeye's left Tyler because the old owner sold the buildings & land when he retired after no one in his family wanted to take over the franchise.

Its not because Church's "pushed them out".

The North Tyler/Gentry location did an awesome business back in the early to mid 90's.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Popeye's left Tyler because the old owner sold the buildings & land when he retired after no one in his family wanted to take over the franchise.

Its not because Church's "pushed them out".

The North Tyler/Gentry location did an awesome business back in the early to mid 90's.
Believe what you want but Im certain Church's aided in their exit. There was noticeably lower traffic at that popeyes than at church's....

Old 07-18-2012, 07:59 PM

816 posts, read 1,938,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
Haha. I agree!

Way too many fatties in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler