Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,959 times

Advertisements

My husband and our family are considering relocating to the area from Mississippi. My husband is from the Longview area. I work in the health field. We have made a short trip to Lindale area and I liked it for the short time we were there. Any advice on the Lindale/Tyler area would be appreciated. I have a child who plays in the Jr High band, so a strong band is a must. I have a child in Spotlight, so a school who also has that is a must. What are some things to do in the area as a family? What is the job situation/economy like there? What is the crime rate there? We live next to Memphis which is crime infested. We want to stay away from high crime populated areas. Thanks in advance for all who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Just brose through the Tyler Threads and look for my responses under either Tyler is Special or Mark Senior. I have answered these questions until I'm finally tired. lol

Old 07-19-2012, 02:24 AM

107 posts, read 116,719 times
Longview is definetly more for the family. Not too big, not too small.

Less crime than tyler, but there is a ghetto here on the south side of town. But that crap usually stays on that side of town.

Food is good here. Lots of really, really good mexican restaraunts. We got some italian food. Chinese. Japanese. I think we've even got a korean food restaraunt. Steak houses. Not alot of fine dining though. Got some good seafood restaraunts too. Look into Fishermans Market, it literally blows Red Lobster out of the water!

There's alot of nursing jobs available in this area too. If you got your LVN/LPN or RN you should have no trouble finding a job here. Lots of home health and hospitals in the area.

Some good schools too, though I wouldn't recommend Longview, Gladewater, Gilmer or Lakeport. Spring hill, white oak, kilgore and hallsville are good schools.

Dunno much about the lindale tyler area. But I've heard good things about lindale.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Sorry, not less crime than
Tyler - look at city data figures, gotta run

Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM

25 posts, read 59,483 times
lindale schools are rated well. Check out the hideaway lake area to live. Great place for a family.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Don't overlook Kilgore! Good schools, vibrant downtown area (rejuvenated by the Main Street project and not an empty storefront!), a great selection of restaurants for such a small town (13,000), really cool history (the world's richest acre, oil derricks on display downtown), a good community college that is very well supported by the community, and only 25 minutes from Tyler, and 12 minutes from Longview.

Christmas downtown:

Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 PM

15 posts, read 47,999 times
I am in Lindale and the schools are excellent. I do not know about Spotlight though, never heard of it. There really isn't much to do here as a family. We have parks and an Old Mill Museum run by the city. Tyler has a few family oriented places like Chuck E Cheese, Kids Depot, Jumpin Jacks Party Shack, Discovery Science Place but all of those get boring after a while.

Lindale is a low crime area since we are a suburb of Tyler. The housing cost is skyrocketing though since everyone wants to live here since we are on I20 and 45 minutes from Dallas. We're also the home town of Casey Rivers and Miranda Lambert, but we mostly hate Miranda Lambert lol the city would not even pay to have a sign put up that said "Home of Miranda Lambert", her parents bought it and run her stupid Wine shop here too. Im sure some will disagree with me, but we know the truth.

Anyway, if you Lindale isn't a good fit for you, you should check out Whitehouse, which is just 5 minutes south of Tyler. It has great schools (better than Lindale imo) and the housing prices are more reasonable since Whitehouse stopped being Tylers #1 suburb when Lindale started growing.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 AM

61 posts, read 117,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse35ofms View Post
My husband and our family are considering relocating to the area from Mississippi. My husband is from the Longview area. I work in the health field. We have made a short trip to Lindale area and I liked it for the short time we were there. Any advice on the Lindale/Tyler area would be appreciated. I have a child who plays in the Jr High band, so a strong band is a must. I have a child in Spotlight, so a school who also has that is a must. What are some things to do in the area as a family? What is the job situation/economy like there? What is the crime rate there? We live next to Memphis which is crime infested. We want to stay away from high crime populated areas. Thanks in advance for all who reply.
Tyler's economy has fared well compared to the rest of the US - it has a booming medical industry, so finding a job should be relatively easy for you. I don't know what line of work your husband is in, but obtaining employment in other industries may be more of a challenge, depending on the field. Lots of restaurants means plenty of jobs in the service/hospitality sector.

If you're into outdoor recreation, there are several large lakes nearby that offer swimming, boating, camping, etc. There's also a nice zoo, a few drive thru safaris nearby (which are kind of neat), and a few small museums.

Tyler has its share of crime (higher than the national average) - mainly on the North side of town, save for a few "problem" apartment complexes scattered across the city. Coming from Memphis though, it will seem like small potatoes, lol. As long as you don't go looking for trouble in Tyler, you probably won't find any.

I agree with Sourcery on the Whitehouse suggestion - safe area and great schools with a very large, well-respected band program.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM

18 posts, read 36,997 times
Default Should be a good fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse35ofms View Post
Less crime. Plenty to do in Tyler and the outlying communities all have activities going on throughout the year. You may tend to hide in the house sometimes in January and February, as well as July and August, but the rest of the year is very, very nice. If Tyler isn't your cup of tea, there are lots of nice quiet little towns that will be much slower paced and still be in commuting distance. Draw a 50 mile radius around Tyler on the map and you'll probably be well pleased with something you find within.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Yep !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler