Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:24 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times

Advertisements

Having been born in Tyler 62 years ago- lived here 20 years off to college for 4 years - moved to Houston for 20 years and back to Tyler for 18 years. When I first lived here Tyler was much divided by the "rail road" tracks really - you actually could be from the "wrong" side of the tracks - at that time Tyler had 38,968 pop in the city and 75,000 including Tyler in the county. North side of the track - poorer white working class - South of the Tracks - city leaders and money. Simple - Black schools - white schools - Black Northwest, West Tyler - Whites elsewhere. Today Mostly Black Northwest, West somewhat Southwest - Hispanic Northeast, East split Hsipanic, white - Blacks anyplace they want to be or can afford - for that matter ANY RACE anywhere - whites mostly South East - South South Central or out in the county - Tyler pop is anywere between 95,000-105,000 most likely 96-98 three different counts - most agree the county now 200,000. Today there are many Hispanics Tyler has many well off people who reguire their services and of course second generation hispanics that are doing quite well - no more percentage of blacks than 50 years ago - NOW to the horrible post that I just don't see to be REPERSENTATIVE of Tyler in GENERAL yes everything she said can happen and I've got to believe she moved into an area where she is the total minority - but really that's hard to believe - because that that is not my experience as a white person - I just don't get it - I try, really try to be nice to everyone first and you know, even the little GREEN people who run around Tyler are nice back - the vast majority of black people are just as considerate as whites actually at times they are not stuck full of themselves as some whites - don't really want to get any further into this race "stuff" vast majority get along well - Tyler is finally large enough that you can do as I do - don't really "run" in clicks - don't care about any of them - the illegal alien hispanic "Experience" is not unique to Tyler. I know this is not the case in the mostly white cities to the North of Dallas, Mckinney, Frisco,South Lake, Allen and so forth and so on - we are a complete city all minorities. I've got several other posts on here about Tyler, so I won't go into those - but to the vast majority of people in Tyler and the vast majority of posts they do not share her ugly post - the wed site is true - that is the way it looks - with millions of new developement going own - lowest city property tax rate in Texas of any city over 30,000 pop - debt free city - all the services we need - like I said look for my other posts - Fireworks in a park last nite that 25,000 people safely attended- no riots, rapes, killings -

Last edited by Mark Senior; 07-05-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 04:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Nice post. It's nice to see that Tyler isn't as bad as the other poster made it out to be. Other then that womans post, The only thing I knew about Tyler, TX was that it is the home to former Oilers great Earl Campbell !

Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Thanks - just pull-up Tyler under the Texas list of cities the 100 plus posts will give a very comprehensive view of Tyler - many people love Tyler - sure some don't...

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Thanks - just pull-up Tyler under the Texas list of cities the 100 plus posts will give a very comprehensive view of Tyler - many people love Tyler - sure some don't...
Some people just don't like diversity, which you would think would be long gone in the year 2008.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Default I LOVE Tyler!

I am, for the moment, going to just say Tyler occupies a VERY special place in my heart so far as Texas cities go!

I say "for the moment" because, on the spur of the moment, I can't do it nearly the justice it deserves in terms of just why.

Tyler is, literally, the Yellow Rose of Texas. And when I get all the right words together, I think that is the way I will title it!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I love Tyler!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
This is a great thread...I read the other post as well...As a Tyler native for 23 years or so of my life, I have to agree...Tyler is NOWHERE NEAR as horrible as she would indicate. Im in Tyler now, home for July 4th. I still get homesick when I come back because this place is such a charming little town.

Having been in Houston as of recently, it is almost like I stepped into a vortex when I arrive back in Tyler. People literally walked by my truck and waved and said hello! I was absolutely taken aback...I forgot how charming life in a smaller town can be. I have come to one of two conclusions about the earlier post deriding Tyler as a minority infested wasteland (to paraphrase her words.): Either --

1) She did not take the time to research (meaning visit prior to moving) the area she moved to and may have moved to Northeast or Northwest Tyler, in which case she is certainly a minority.

2) She may have been a bit pre-dispositioned to see these racial corollaries prior to even moving to Tyler. Oddly I heard not ONE mention of ANY whites in Tyler mistreating her. EVER, not one....which I find hard to believe, seeing as the city is upwards of 50% whites, and she is roughly twice as likely to encounter whites on a daily basis as she would be to encounter other ethnic groups.

More than likely when she was mistreated by whites in Tyler she chalked it up to them "having a bad day", or maybe they "just didnt see eye to eye". In which case those happenings (Seldom though they may have been) probably went undocumented because they didn't fit the profile of what she already believed and wanted to see confirmed.

And many blacks and mexicans who gave her no trouble at all, and possibly never even interacted with her, went unnoticed.. That is to say that once again those occurrences went undocumented. Yet when something she perceived as ill mannered behavior happened, concerning blacks/mexicans that is, they were amplified by what she already wanted to believe about those ethnic groups.

At any rate, one thing that struck me as peculiar is how she mentioned that she is only speaking what others whisper to her in the dark..which is something I have realized for quite some time; that many people harbor a disdain for the image of what they believe to be what blacks & mexicans are as a whole.

Whatever the case, I think the young lady should certainly go to lengths to be more selective in her living circumstances. And if she wants to live around wealthy/well off whites..thats just fine. But make sure you are financially situated to place yourself in such an environment.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Thumbs up thumbs up

what a very nice way of putting things. this post is an example of how one can respond, make observations, give feedback, suggestions, disagree.....to a controversial post...in a very mature, respectful way. that's all i wanted to say. kudos to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
This is a great thread...I read the other post as well...As a Tyler native for 23 years or so of my life, I have to agree...Tyler is NOWHERE NEAR as horrible as she would indicate. Im in Tyler now, home for July 4th. I still get homesick when I come back because this place is such a charming little town.

Having been in Houston as of recently, it is almost like I stepped into a vortex when I arrive back in Tyler. People literally walked by my truck and waved and said hello! I was absolutely taken aback...I forgot how charming life in a smaller town can be. I have come to one of two conclusions about the earlier post deriding Tyler as a minority infested wasteland (to paraphrase her words.): Either --

1) She did not take the time to research (meaning visit prior to moving) the area she moved to and may have moved to Northeast or Northwest Tyler, in which case she is certainly a minority.

2) She may have been a bit pre-dispositioned to see these racial corollaries prior to even moving to Tyler. Oddly I heard not ONE mention of ANY whites in Tyler mistreating her. EVER, not one....which I find hard to believe, seeing as the city is upwards of 50% whites, and she is roughly twice as likely to encounter whites on a daily basis as she would be to encounter other ethnic groups.

More than likely when she was mistreated by whites in Tyler she chalked it up to them "having a bad day", or maybe they "just didnt see eye to eye". In which case those happenings (Seldom though they may have been) probably went undocumented because they didn't fit the profile of what she already believed and wanted to see confirmed.

And many blacks and mexicans who gave her no trouble at all, and possibly never even interacted with her, went unnoticed.. That is to say that once again those occurrences went undocumented. Yet when something she perceived as ill mannered behavior happened, concerning blacks/mexicans that is, they were amplified by what she already wanted to believe about those ethnic groups.

At any rate, one thing that struck me as peculiar is how she mentioned that she is only speaking what others whisper to her in the dark..which is something I have realized for quite some time; that many people harbor a disdain for the image of what they believe to be what blacks & mexicans are as a whole.

Whatever the case, I think the young lady should certainly go to lengths to be more selective in her living circumstances. And if she wants to live around wealthy/well off whites..thats just fine. But make sure you are financially situated to place yourself in such an environment.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:10 AM

415 posts, read 506,071 times
Tyler is a nice area. It and Longview are growing at a healthy clip, with Tyler being the fastest growing metro in East Texas.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
It seems like Tyler is just a normal, medium sized Texas town that is doing just fine for itself. I wouldn't go so far to call it ethnically diverse... White/Black/Hispanic makes up the usual backbone of Texas. A few tokens here and there doesn't make a city diverse, but that doesn't really matter. It appears some people just don't do their research. They're looking for cheap when moving to Texas because of our low cost of living, etc. But without realizing what kind of people are equally as cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler