U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 12:07 PM

8 posts, read 10,444 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Looking for some help/opinions.

My husband and I are looking to move to the Tyler/Longview area in the near future. We think it's a beautiful part of the state and my husband wants a place he can run cattle.

I have plans to start my own small retail business in the near future. It will be a mid-sized (1500 sq ft-ish) home decor store (NOT a boutique) that will emphasize quality products at very low price points (an element generally lacking in the industry) with constantly changing inventory. It will likely be situated in a "non typical" location-- warehouse/older building, off the beaten path a bit-- with intentions of keeping overhead as low as possible, enabling the low prices.

My questions are:

As a resident of Tyler or Longview, would you (or your wife ) appreciate such a store?

Anyone have an opinion on which market might be better for this? They both seem similar from my research... I know Tyler is a bit bigger, but demographic and culture-wise they seem very comparable.

Can anyone tell me what my competition might be? According to City Data, each town has a Hobby Lobby, Pier 1, Target, and a few Wal Marts. Any other stores that sell home decor?

Any input, constructive criticism, information, or opinions would be much appreciated!! Thank you.

*note*- I am in no way trying to advertise this business- it doesn't exist yet and I will not mention the name Just trying to get some opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 03:13 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
Well I'm a guy, so, home decor? Tyler has other stores that I have heard that term refered to, don't remember the names, but seems it was referring to home furnishings etc., pretty much everythings you can PLACE inside a home?

Now, it seems your idea would work well in either city. Of course I prefer Tyler to Longview in almost everyway, but for this idea each city, again, would seem to work. You will just have to get the word (out) about your store. Then they should come, lol. Good luck.

As far as further considerations, things to do, resturants, performing arts, nite-life, shopping, prettier area, schools, is this important ? Then Tyler has it, lol, like I said I prefer Tyler.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,567,417 times
Nacogdoches and Lufkin area would love to have a home decor with already having the stores you name.
Nacogdoche is having a housing boom with four story lofts being built and three stories across the street plus over twenty other projects including housing development coming plus the expansion of us 59 future I69.The city has hills and the downtown sit in a valley making the downtown view from east to west beautiful at night.Nacogdoches is a city around 40,000 people as well as Lufkin both having hobby lobby well before Tyler so that should let you know the market your looking to expand is a perfect fit here.Nacogdoches got Hobby lobby and 1996 and Tyler turn kmart old building into hobby lobby around 2005.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 AM

13 posts, read 42,356 times
Hello Charannthom,
I think a home decor store is a good market for Tyler to get in. The main key you would need to focus on is marketing and advertisement. The main reason why new businesses do not make it in this town would be lack of advertisement and location. You can have the greatest business out there, but if no one knows you are there it's not going to work, so most definitely home decor is a great market to go into in the city of Tyler. Good luck on your business.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 AM

8 posts, read 10,444 times
Thank you all for your feedback!

@Mark Senior, You got it! Home decor is basically anything you use to decorate your home. We would concentrate on wall hangings (mirrors, metal art, etc) along with tons of 'pretty' stuff you could, say, place on tables and shelves to spruce them up (lamps, etc.)

@Stargirl01, I totally agree. We live in San Marcos currently, and SO many local business just do not advertise/market enough. And in turn they fail within a year. I don't understand how they think they will survive without getting the word out that they exist! So good advice and you can all bet you'll hear us coming

Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Nacogdoches and Lufkin area would love to have a home decor with already having the stores you name.
Nacogdoche is having a housing boom with four story lofts being built and three stories across the street plus over twenty other projects including housing development coming plus the expansion of us 59 future I69.The city has hills and the downtown sit in a valley making the downtown view from east to west beautiful at night.Nacogdoches is a city around 40,000 people as well as Lufkin both having hobby lobby well before Tyler so that should let you know the market your looking to expand is a perfect fit here.Nacogdoches got Hobby lobby and 1996 and Tyler turn kmart old building into hobby lobby around 2005.
Dee, I have a degree from SFA and U of H. I really enjoyed SFA when I was there. It is nice to hear of the growth. Would you list about 15 of the 20 (other) projects you mention. That is even more than Tyler and Longview, combined, have on the books right now. That is really something. Let us know what they are, that somekind of growth. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or