Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM

97 posts, read 183,036 times

Advertisements

Info please......planning to relocate to the North/East Texas area very soon. Looking for work in construction and medical fields. Need a nice safe clean area to raise a child and quality elementary school. Close to shopping and other amenities.......looking for 3 bed/2 bath single family rental home......preferably in a more "country" or rural setting outside of the large cities......where, in your opinion would offer these qualities? DFW, Arlington, Lubbock, Plano, Sherman, Tyler....etc. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Tyler would be my recommendation for you. The economy is strong, there is a ton of building (both residential and commercial) in the area, and the medical field is a huge part of the local economy. Many lovely neighborhoods, affordable housing, and some good schools, both public and private. It's two hours from Dallas and two hours from Shreveport but you don't have the hassles of metro living. Tyler has good shopping for a town it's size, TONS of restaurants, and plenty to do in the local area for a family.

"Rural living" is also a ten minute drive from the loop in Tyler in many cases - rather than an hour commute or more like you'll find in the larger metro areas you mentioned. By the way, this is just my personal opinion, but I detest both Dallas, Arlington, and Plano for their lack of personality, their urban sprawl, and the traffic - not to mention their higher cost of living. Fort Worth and west and south of Fort Worth has more personality and a slightly lower cost of living but it's still a big city. I'm not familiar with Lubbock, but I am somewhat familiar with Sherman - it's smaller than the D/FW area but it's out in the middle of nowhere and not nearly as attractive and vibrant a small city as Tyler.

Longview may also be an option for you - but Tyler is going to have more medical jobs.

Just my two cents' worth.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
not sure about construction but tyler does have a lot of medical jobs. i've had about 7 coworkers move in from other states for therapy jobs here in the past year alone.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Both are right one posts, lol

Medical jobs, are Tyler's middle name, growing and is the future here.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
Info please......planning to relocate to the North/East Texas area very soon. Looking for work in construction and medical fields. Need a nice safe clean area to raise a child and quality elementary school. Close to shopping and other amenities.......looking for 3 bed/2 bath single family rental home......preferably in a more "country" or rural setting outside of the large cities......where, in your opinion would offer these qualities? DFW, Arlington, Lubbock, Plano, Sherman, Tyler....etc. Thank you.

From your post I gather you are looking for work for two people. The two different fields, construction/medical. In this case, while Tyler is the nicest not small city in East Texas, by living in Kilgore you can cover two job markets, Tyler and Longview with one house. Kilgore is not a bad little town either.

Longview has been struggling a little, the Eastman plant was/is ?, I haven't lived in Longview for 20 years, a major high dollar employer, but Kodak fell on hard times. I imagine the plant came out OK, but I am sure there was some down sizing.

Being from the Gulf Coast and having spent a lot of time in Houston, the blue collar feel of Longview was more comfortable to me than the classier feel of Tyler. To me Longview is like Houston only smaller and worth living in and Tyler is like Dallas only not so big.

Tyler has lakes on both sides of it for recreation, it has the University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler Junior College. Kilgore, not a long ways to the east, has Kilgore College, and Longview has LeTourneau.

When I moved to East Texas, I am in Nacogdoches, Tyler was where I really wanted to go.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 AM

13 posts, read 45,649 times
Hello Scmover,
I have lived in the Tyler area my whole life. There are lots of job opportunities in the medical field and there are lots of little country towns around if you like a country setting and cost of living is very affordable. I would look at homes in Flint, Lindale, Bullard, Chapel Hill, or maybe even Palestine (depending on how far you want to commute) for a country feel. You want have a problem with elementary schools there are so many great ones here. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler