U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,043,139 times

Advertisements

TxDOT will fund 13 municipal airports in Texas, including Tyler Pounds
AUSTIN — In an effort to ensure safety at 13 municipal airports in Texas, the Texas Department of Transportation today said it intends to fund continued service of air traffic controllers when federal funding goes away as a result of sequestration, or budget cuts. This action is pending Texas Transportation Commission approval and will be acted upon in an emergency session next week. The action would enable continued service for 13 airports.

“Safety is the primary reason we felt a need to take immediate action for the air travelers and business aircraft that use these airports,” said Commissioner Fred Underwood, Texas Transportation Commission. “I am proud of our leaders for taking this extraordinary measure to ensure that those relying on these municipal airports will be able to depart and arrive safely and efficiently.”

“Flying is an integral part of commerce in Texas,” said Phil Wilson, TxDOT executive director. “Local communities are counting on these airports to remain open for continued economic success.”

When automatic budget cuts from the federal government went into effect last month, Texas regional airports were caught in the cross hairs and were scheduled to lose funding for air traffic control service positions beginning April 7. Had this funding not been considered, a degradation of safety in those flight operations could have occurred.

Airports that could receive state funding to continue safe operations include:

New Braunfels (BAZ); Brownsville (BRO); Easterwood Field College Station (CLL); TSTC Waco (CNW); Lone Star Executive Houston (CXO); Georgetown Muni (GTU); San Marcos Muni (HYI); Dallas Executive (RBD); Sugarland Regional (SGR); Stinson Muni San Antonio (SSF); Collin County Regional (TKI); Tyler Pounds Regional (TYR); and Victoria Regional (VCT).

Grand Prairie Municipal and Fort Worth Spinks airports remain funded under a federal agreement until September 30, 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Texas doesn't need you Obama! We're our own country.

Lets see how Illinois airports stay alive...

Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,559,461 times
Yep, good news, the city of Tyler also said they would have funded too, to my surprise.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yep, good news, the city of Tyler also said they would have funded too, to my surprise.
After several million dollar expansions I would hope so.

Tyler Pounds Regional was recently ranked best performing small airport in Texas by the FAA a few years back.

Its extinction (if it ever happened) would dole a severe blow to Tyler & all of East Texas economically.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM

343 posts, read 372,635 times
Forgive the question, but I hadn't heard anything about Gregg county's airport. Are they affected by this as well? Considering that Tyler is bigger than Longview I could see how they would be.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:44 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,559,461 times
Gregg County is funded differently thru the gov. Not to be affected. Yes, Tyler has had about 3 times the passenger load as Gregg County, I mean ET Regional. I am envious of the ET Name, Tyler said no to the name many years ago, and Longview said we will gladly take it. Tyler wanted to stay with a local World War II hero by the name of Pound or Pounds. So no ego boast with the name pounds, but many more passengers and flights with two major airlines. American Airlines wanted to withdraw service to Longview several years ago, the FAA said no. Anyway, more and off topic to what you asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or