U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Status: "Living in Margaritaville literally!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Murrieta, CA
1,266 posts, read 1,501,332 times
Reputation: 2201

Advertisements

We were in Dallas last week and took one day to spend in Tyler. I just have to say...WOW! Such a pretty city. I had done my homework on "Prettiest City/Town in Texas" and had to see for myself. Loved the Rose Museum/Garden. The entire area reminded me of the Pacific Northwest so many trees and greenery. I had no clue that East Texas was so beautiful. It was such a lovely drive to/from Dallas and an easy drive to book. We had a great week in Texas and the day in Tyler was one of the highlights.

Oh and the Kenny Chesney concert in Cowboys stadium was another highlight but that off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM
 
2,066 posts, read 1,581,950 times
Reputation: 3348
Yeah, I was in Tyler this past weekend...It really is one of the prettier areas of the state for certain. Especially Southwest Tyler, in my opinion...Palestine is another pretty town at this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:59 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,760,318 times
Reputation: 4853
The specific area isn't my personal favorite region of East Texas, but I'd say Tyler is easily the most beautiful of Texas cities with populations over 100,000.

Glad you enjoyed your visit, happyinca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Status: "Living in Margaritaville literally!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Murrieta, CA
1,266 posts, read 1,501,332 times
Reputation: 2201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The specific area isn't my personal favorite region of East Texas, but I'd say Tyler is easily the most beautiful of Texas cities with populations over 100,000.

Glad you enjoyed your visit, happyinca.
Thank you. I live in a county of 3 million people so to see some countryside and a city of less than one million people is a huge treat! The roses so lovely! And all the trees, so green! I did notice a bit of traffic but nothing like Southern California! You should tell me your personal favorite part of East Texas so next time I am there I can take a gander. I was trying to look at the lake but I did not go far enough and thought I had somehow missed it. I think people from California have a view of Texas as some kind of hot, dusty plain (probably what you see in West Texas) so to see the lovely area of East Texas was very impressive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,494 posts, read 2,242,518 times
Reputation: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Thank you. I live in a county of 3 million people so to see some countryside and a city of less than one million people is a huge treat! The roses so lovely! And all the trees, so green! I did notice a bit of traffic but nothing like Southern California! You should tell me your personal favorite part of East Texas so next time I am there I can take a gander. I was trying to look at the lake but I did not go far enough and thought I had somehow missed it. I think people from California have a view of Texas as some kind of hot, dusty plain (probably what you see in West Texas) so to see the lovely area of East Texas was very impressive!
Im born and raised in East Texas and I'll tell you even areas that look run down still have a hint of beauty to them based off the East Texas in general. Tyler does a great job of restoring that beauty. Some of my favorite areas aside from Tyler is Caddo Lake,Jefferson,Marshall( lots of historical sites and homes city is not on the come up but history works in it's favor) Wild Wood area in North Longview/Nugget Hill historic district in Longview, Lake Palestine/Palestine, the area around Kilgore College in Kilgore, The trails in Nacogdoches, Lake O' The Pines,Lake Cherokee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Status: "Living in Margaritaville literally!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Murrieta, CA
1,266 posts, read 1,501,332 times
Reputation: 2201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Im born and raised in East Texas and I'll tell you even areas that look run down still have a hint of beauty to them based off the East Texas in general. Tyler does a great job of restoring that beauty. Some of my favorite areas aside from Tyler is Caddo Lake,Jefferson,Marshall( lots of historical sites and homes city is not on the come up but history works in it's favor) Wild Wood area in North Longview/Nugget Hill historic district in Longview, Lake Palestine/Palestine, the area around Kilgore College in Kilgore, The trails in Nacogdoches, Lake O' The Pines,Lake Cherokee.
Thank you so much! I will save that information for a future trip. I was bummed I missed Lake Palestine, just did not drive far enough. I love to see lakes. That area was so green and pretty. Next time I want to spend more time in the country and less time in the city, (Dallas). Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,494 posts, read 2,242,518 times
Reputation: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Thank you so much! I will save that information for a future trip. I was bummed I missed Lake Palestine, just did not drive far enough. I love to see lakes. That area was so green and pretty. Next time I want to spend more time in the country and less time in the city, (Dallas). Thanks again!
No problem and it's pretty much green and pretty in most parts of East Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,760,318 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Thank you. I live in a county of 3 million people so to see some countryside and a city of less than one million people is a huge treat! The roses so lovely! And all the trees, so green! I did notice a bit of traffic but nothing like Southern California! You should tell me your personal favorite part of East Texas so next time I am there I can take a gander. I was trying to look at the lake but I did not go far enough and thought I had somehow missed it. I think people from California have a view of Texas as some kind of hot, dusty plain (probably what you see in West Texas) so to see the lovely area of East Texas was very impressive!
My personal favorite area would be Far Northeast Texas: the area of towns like Daingerfield, Gilmer, Texarkana; especially during autumn. It's a scene so unusual for the state that you might have to convince yourself that you're in Texas and not Virginia or Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Status: "Living in Margaritaville literally!" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Murrieta, CA
1,266 posts, read 1,501,332 times
Reputation: 2201
Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
My personal favorite area would be Far Northeast Texas: the area of towns like Daingerfield, Gilmer, Texarkana; especially during autumn. It's a scene so unusual for the state that you might have to convince yourself that you're in Texas and not Virginia or Maryland.
Thank you! I have noted all those places and have been looking them up. I appreciate all the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 PM
 
Location: East Texas
146 posts, read 458,290 times
Reputation: 76
Yeah Tyler is a very pretty city, it has a nice layout & overall is pretty. I would say the areas around it too like has been mentioned Palestine has 1,800 historic homes 2nd most in texas & a amazing little downtown & courthouse & Regan park is scenic. Also Jacksonville has a nice downtown & the lovers mountain viewing area is pretty cool. Longview area is nice as well as Henderson. I lived in West Texas & yes it's dusty, cacti's mountainous area but in it's own way its beautiful & yes when Hollywood portrays Texas it's usually in that way. Nobody knows about East Texas forest & central Texas hill country. Super beautiful if you ever get a chance to go out there. Around Austin/Marble falls/Kerrville area's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top