Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 11:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times

Advertisements

has anyone done a sky lantern release activity in tyler? if so, are permits needed to do such if done on a small scale? or are permits needed at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 AM

and if longview can hold a hot air balloon activity, then maybe tyler can hold a sky lantern festival. why does it seem that most of the interesting stuff happen outside of tyler?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:22 PM

if no one has any idea of what i'm talking about, here's a video:

sky lantern festival - YouTube

Old 07-28-2013, 05:25 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
That by far the most interesting "stuff" longview has, they do have the Alley Fest then it really drops off. Tyler once had the balloon events here, again before Longview. First on the John Tyler football practice field, it soon became popular and way to crowded, it moved to the Rose Stadium parking lot, one of the balloons got caught in a power line and a balloonist? in the ballon, got severly burned as it crashed to the ground.

The Tyler airpost is far more crowded and many more flights so it could not be held there. Longview's airport has less activity as well as more room, so hurray to Longview. Good going.

Oh, again as to why not more events, activies in Tyler, City Council has spoken, citizens are not objecting. If it cost tax paper money in any way, sales tax, property tax money, it will not be done. As for me this is dumb! But until enough folks speak up nothing will change, as I said, even so, much more to do in Tyler than Longview. But also the Convention and Vistors Bureau has stated over and over Tyler losses 20,000 convention visitors per year due to inadequate convention meeting space.

Tyler will set on it's hands until it so obvious to "ALL" that the cities growth is flat or declining which is happening now to be apparent in the next several years.

According to the Texas Worfroce Commission Emplyment figures for Tyler. Tyler had fallen, in July, to 23 out of 26 in the reporting cities for their report, largest employment centers, for job growth when comparing month over same month last year, July 2012-2013. Last month tyler actually lost 400 jobs. This report, as well as sales tax remibursement figures for each month, which are the best indication of growth or non-growth have indicated a steady drop since 2009. I have been looking at these figures for maybe 10 years, each months data. Tyler was in the top 5 for growth in Texas several month hitting the number 1 position, always in the top half, Of course I'm talking about "percentage change" not raw numbers, Tyler would never be 1st in that, always, Houston or Dallas.

I know this is more than what this thread is about, but the "why" to a lot of questions are answered here. Of course I have whys I could answer. lol Such as my discussions with Tom Mullins Chairman/Chief or whatever he is called, of the Tyler Economic Development Dept/Service. Really as much as possible I try to base stuff here on Fact not opinion, mostly lol, it's why I don't get very many reps, most people don't care what I say or they don't have a clue if it's the truth or correct. I'm getting a little tired of the shortsightedness of leaders in Tyler.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 07-28-2013 at 05:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM

i'm not just indicating longview, but other activities that are held in towns around tyler like jacksonville, new york and such, not really in tyler. oh well...i guess tyler is just focusing on business and let the surrounding towns take care of leisure

Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
I have been telling people that about Tyler but people are always saying I am dry hatting but that is not the case a fact is a fact and even people in Tyler consider it very very boring!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Gee, Dee where have you been? It's not boring. Well, at least there will be more posts now. You will be negative toward Tyler and knock Tyler when possible. We have missed you. NOT !

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Sky lantern festivals can be quite beautiful, as shown in the video. But here in Texas, especially during our drought conditions, they could also be quite dangerous. I would be surprised if any governmental authority would allow such a thing. I have read of horror stories associated with these. If they don't fly high enough they can become like little firebombs landing all over the place.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Sky lantern festivals can be quite beautiful, as shown in the video. But here in Texas, especially during our drought conditions, they could also be quite dangerous. I would be surprised if any governmental authority would allow such a thing. I have read of horror stories associated with these. If they don't fly high enough they can become like little firebombs landing all over the place.

that's why i asked if permits or any kind of paperwork with government agencies are needed prior to such activity, and if so, where/with whom to apply for such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler