Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM

15 posts, read 18,194 times

Advertisements

We went to Tyler on 2/14/15 to see if it was a viable retirement location. Both my wife and I were surprised at the sophistication of the city and the varied shopping. In short, we were really impressed with the city and the available housing. Regardless of this, we were shocked at the traffic on Hwy. 69 (S. Broadway street.) We toured the city on Saturday and we can only assume the traffic would be worse on a work day!!!! Can anyone tell me if the city has any plans to alleviate this mess? I really like Tyler but I can not see spending my golden years stuck in traffic!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:26 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,083,379 times
Yes and No. Saturday was Valentines Day. I know of couples who ate their "meal out" before noon, I called a cousin and she said they were headed out to beat the crowd at "3:00" . Even I who, has been "back" from Houston for 20 years, noticed the crowd Saturday. To me, the traffic resembled that of late shopping Christmas traffic. I live three blocks off South Broadway and needed to just travel a few blocks South and noticed it. I don't know if lights were out of timing or not. It's happened before, the city retimed quickly.

Now, background. Tyler leaders have never encouraged growth. Tyler's growth has been in spite of itself, reflected in the lack of freeways or overpasses, as leaders, felt this would hasten growth. During the weekdays, according to police Tyler's population increases by at least 50,000 to 75,000. 20,000 college students, residents from other communities here for medical needs, Tyler is the true medical center of East Texas, the only Level One Trauma Center, also busiest regional shopping hub.

Toll road 49 will expand "one day". Daily tolls have exceeded all expectations. The city has just this year started the East West extension of Cumberland Road from Paluxy to Old Jacksonville Highway which should help. No great plans for freeways.

You may need to remember, while congested, it's not very far to anything. lol. In the Tyler, city property taxes are lower than most cities in Texas, and lowest of any city over 15,000 pop. Other taxes are just average. But on a house "appraised" at $200,000 your city taxes would be $440.

Yes, Tyler has much to offer, for it's size, a great smaller zoo, Brookshires Museum, The Rose Garden and Museum and the Cowen Performing Arts Center, Ringo Starr just performed Sat. nite. The East Texas Symphony is surprisingly good, not as large and as impressive as the Houston Symphony, lol, which I enjoyed, but still quite nice. This is more than you asked about, Tyler information is a hobby of mine. Need more, just email me directly. Remember it's not a far drive to most anything you need. Best to you, Mark

Oh, which areas for housing did you see when you visited. Did you eat at anyplace different? That's something else about Tyler, they eat OUT. Maybe not more than anyplace else. Lot's of non chain restaurants. Did you see the medical center, TJC or UT Tyler?

Last edited by Mark Senior; 02-15-2015 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
During the weekday, traffic is very predictable - it's pretty busy between 7:30 and about 8:30 and then between about 11:30 to 1:00. There's a lull and then it picks up steam again from about 3 to 6 - not terrible between 3 and 5 but heavier, and pretty bad between 5 and 6. Then it drops back off.

In other words, when people are driving to and from work and school, and at lunch time.

Usually weekends have just moderate traffic. Mark is right - Valentines Day lunch crowds really added to the usual traffic this weekend. Tylerites do love to eat out - and we have a lot of good restaurants to prove it!

My husband and I moved back to the Tyler area this past year, after a ten year absence. Wow, it was great to get back "home." We are thrilled to live here again, but we deliberately limited our home search to areas that allowed us to avoid Broadway, Troup, and even Old Jacksonville Highway as much as possible. We ended up buying a house in Chandler and we love it - and love having all the wonderful amenities of Tyler 8 to 15 minutes away without having to worry too much about the traffic.

Tyler has so much to offer - including bedroom communities that can keep you out of the "thick of things" during heavy traffic times. Once in awhile, we inadvertently get caught up in the traffic on Broadway or the loop close to Broadway and we just remind ourselves how much we love everything Tyler offers - so just relax. So far so good!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:10 AM

15 posts, read 18,194 times
Default Tyler -Social Situation For Retirees

I want to thank both of you for all your insight regarding the traffic situation. I would also appreciate your thoughts on the social situation. If we retire in Tyler we will not know a single person. We would like to make new friends but we are not religious and have been told that everything in Tyler revolves around your church. We like to dance, play cards and have a brew. I also like to target shoot and want to learn to fish. Do you think we would be happy there?

Thanks so much!

DJ

Old 02-16-2015, 02:28 PM

18 posts, read 15,756 times
IMISSAUSTIN--it depends. A lot of social situations do revolve around church life. I don't participate in church activities, so don't have a big social life. It's hard to meet other people here at times, but also there's just not a lot going on, unless you're a lake person. I used to live in a similar sized town in Texas, but I swear it seemed more was going on there, and didn't want to charge you for every little thing. There are some nice things about Tyler, mostly just the beauty, and fairly decent climate, but that only goes so far.

Curious Mark, what non chain restaurants do you like here?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culturefan View Post
IMISSAUSTIN--it depends. A lot of social situations do revolve around church life. I don't participate in church activities, so don't have a big social life. It's hard to meet other people here at times, but also there's just not a lot going on, unless you're a lake person. I used to live in a similar sized town in Texas, but I swear it seemed more was going on there, and didn't want to charge you for every little thing. There are some nice things about Tyler, mostly just the beauty, and fairly decent climate, but that only goes so far.

Curious Mark, what non chain restaurants do you like here?
Man I listed alot going on. Some things don't cost much. Others I've listed many time under the Tyler Sub-Forum. I really don't think other cities have it over Tyler. I am a retire, 68 very active. Health club/gym 5-7 days a week. Enjoy church, others I've met in the last 25 years don't care if I do or don't go the church. There to busy. Live in Houston for 20 years prior to Tyler. Really enjoyed it, for a large city, did most of the activities there as I dealt with the traffic. lol. As many have said on here for the 7 years I been on city-data. Just come to Tyler with an, open mind, no expectations to be in a need to think you have to defend, what you think or feel, or who you are. Most people just move on, yeah, you may be invited to church, but on any given Sunday about maybe 10% of the pop is in church, more than 50% never attend, a few for Easter or Christmas.

Now,non chain restaurants:

Current - French
Bernard - Mediterranean
Breakers - West Coast Seafood
Little Italy
Juls - American Plus Upscale New Patio/Bar Deck seating overlooking small pond - large
Cheng's China Bistro
Coyote Bar and Grill
Dakota Steak & Chop House maybe a few statewide, one in Dallas?
Don Juan on the Square - downtown
Egg & I - started chain in Tyler/Longview couple years old probably not in Austin going DFW first
Happy's Fish House
Half Moon Grill & Saloon
Kiepersol Estates
Mario's Italian Restaurant & Club
Mercado's
Potpourri House
The Diner
Purple Pig Cafe
Reggie's Burgers
Standley's Famous Pit BBQ - written up often in Texas Monthly
Wasabi - chain?
Villa Montez
Taj Mahal - Indian
Bruno's Pizza (and more)
The Stand Hot Dogs & Sausages
Taqueria El Lugar not a Mexican food fan but this one keeps popping up,lol
Rick's on the Square - bar/club as well, downtown
Basil Thai Cafe
Three Z Azian Cuizine Vegetarian, Vietnamese, Asian fusion
What About Kabob - Greek
Cork: Food and Drink
Tuscan Slice Chain?
La Plazita
Lago Del Pino - overlooking lake just west of town -beautiful view
The Burger Grind - reviews are great
I give, lol, here is the latest list on line - Best Tyler Restaurants: See 292 restaurants in Tyler, TX with 4,545 reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 PM

Oh, I just read "do you like" lol not what are they...

Like/been too:
Breakers
Little Italy
Juls
Egg & I
Mercados
Poppurri House for Lunch
Reggies

I try out all the newer Chains

Old 02-17-2015, 08:37 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
I've been to Mercado's in Tyler - great food. But I'm fairly sure it's part of a chain that includes Posado's. The decor and menus are pretty much identical. There are several Posado's in the Dallas area but no Mercado's that I can think of.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 AM

86 posts, read 199,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I've been to Mercado's in Tyler - great food. But I'm fairly sure it's part of a chain that includes Posado's. The decor and menus are pretty much identical. There are several Posado's in the Dallas area but no Mercado's that I can think of.
Mercado's and Posado's are technically a chain I suppose but they originated in Tyler in the 80's. They are only found in Dallas, Tyler/East Texas and there are also a few in Louisiana.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:15 PM

10 posts, read 18,228 times
Speaking of traffic, did any of you guys see in the paper that one of the Half-Cent Sales Tax Project recomendations is to build an overpass at the loop and Broadway? Makes sense but not sure if it would even be feasible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler