U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:21 PM

816 posts, read 1,674,476 times

Advertisements

I'm around same ages as you. Although, conservative like most of my friends in Tyler. Tyler is almost pretty much opposite of Austin, as some say. I think Austin is an awesome city and I noticed the people there are pretty different as oppose to Tyler. I think Tyler isn't that bad for making friends, as long as you keep politics to yourself. I promise you, they're not going to look down on you for being liberal.

As for friends, I made most of my friends from the gym here in Tyler. There is actually a lot to do in Tyler, I know it isn't like Austin, but definitely not like small towns.

If they really want to have fun and spend tons of money then they would go to Dallas for the weekend, which is only 1 and half hours away.

Good luck and I hope you like Tyler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,568,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyImMelissa View Post
Hi all! I've been having a hard time deciding if I should move to Tyler. Can anyone paint a picture for me before I visit ? is there anything for 20 somethings to do, like nightlife, dating, fun, fun, fun, etc? I love outdoorsy things, like running and hiking... is there any nice parks or trails for this? How's traffic? Anyways, I'd appreciate any advise on the move situation.
I would like to suggest Nacogdoches Lufkn area which are the mini version of Dallas Fortworth.
Nacogdoches and Lufkin are cities around 40,000 people in each vicinity and have the market of cities of 100,000 people.Nacogdoches has festivals yearly with one being the blue berry fest that brings in over 25,000 people in the summer,Nine flags fest that brings in over 10,000 plus,the multicultural fest that bring in around 10,000 people,the county rodeo that brings in about 20,000 people.The city has the largest azalea trail in the state.Nacogdoches has biking/hiking trails like the banita creek trail and the lanana creek trail that having lighting at night for walking or bicycling at night.The city has red brick downtown that is well light up at night with clubs like banita creek hall,The liberty bell,Liberty hall.Nac is home to a major university Stephen f.Austin which add to the night life.The city have plenty of clubs for a city of its size like Sport Shake,Annex,Metros II,Redland Palace,kamiozs,Blue light,Head liners,Texas sport bar and grill
Lugz Nut which is a club that host alot of motorcycle ralleys.The economy is doing well hear with two major hospital district one on the north side and the county hospital in downtown.The hills here will remind you of home with apartments and house sittings on very high hills that are visible from some of the major corridors.
Nacogdoches is home to 100 plus apartment complexes which make finding somewhere temporarily easy until finding something for permit.The city is pedestrian/bicycling friendly with side walks on almost every major corridor with alot of foot traffic with the university being here.The median age range is around 20 something I would have to check and give the info to you.The city downtown sits in a valley so coming from the west you can see a view on HWY 21 of downtown and the center part of the city for miles and as well coming from the east heading to downtown you can see a view of downtown and other places.Nacogdoches has two flea markets that are similar as the ones in Canton,TX but not as large held every month one on the future I-69 and the other on Bus US 59.I really think it would be the most similar city in east texas compared to Austin.The city is wet so beer/wine/liquer is sold here and the city has been wet for decades.The city has nice neighborhoods that laid out like Austin with all the winding of streets into the hills instead of the checker board layout like in Tyler.The city is spread out with driving into some less urban areas then others.K.michelle is coming to the Nacogdoches expo on May 22,2014 and alot of major artist country/hiphop come to Nacogdoches because of the charm and vibrant nightlife here.The city has lots of 24hr stores that stay open to service the nightlife.Nacogdoches and Lufkin loops are getting upgrade to freeways which some east texas don't like but hey it is what it is.The cities loop are semi express ways without lights just over/under passes.Lufkin is doing well with its progress for I-69 already having mini version of a mix master with ramps on the south end and north side is doing constructing already with two ramps up already just preparing to make it 4 lanes on each side with frontage road instead of the two lanes on each side.The shopping is good in this are with one city depending on the other for shopping.The commute is about 15 minutes from each other with big box retailers to serve cities over a hundred thousand people.I basically thought I would just let you know if want relocation to place that resemble home this would be the area for you and Lufkin has two major hosptials serving the city as with a state hospital being the third.Lufkin memorial/medical center is affiliated with a hospital out of Houston.The cities traffic isn't like Tyler with slow moving headache traffic with stop lights everywhere.Its more like the suburbs of Austin get where you need to go unless you are hitting 12:00 or 5:00 traffic.The cities offer nice subdivision old and up and coming ones like colonial hills in Nac,Pruitt hill,Orton hill,Burgess hill,Presmo hill.Lufkin has the colony that is close to national chain resturants and retail and a mall.So I hope like the feedback and have any question of anything else let me know.: ok:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler