U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:10 AM

24 posts, read 41,750 times

Advertisements

This is all wonderful information! We will take a few days during summer break and ride that way on one of husband's 14 days off and check everything out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,567,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Nacogdoches would be a good choice, much smaller, not nearly as congested as Tyler, and a beautiful place, probably all the things you need, better location, for you

Some parts of Nac is congested and some areas are not as congested and the city is not much smaller then Tyler actually driving both you really couldn't tell the difference in area except the different retail that is offer in each area vise versa.
Moderator cut: unnecessary

Nacogdoches is doing fine without the madness, and by the way splash kingdom water park is building here. That will bring more entertainment for the family. Tyler wouldn't be as congested as it is if it wasn't for the stoplight action without a freeway like Nacogdoches and Lufkin have around there cities. The two lane toll way in the country isn't going to get it fixed.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-08-2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: Fixed broken quote. Don't let them suck you into the drama.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:50 AM

44,314 posts, read 35,852,560 times
Moderator cut: fighting

The population of Nac is 33,000. The median income is $29,769. Unemployment in Nac is 8.9 percent.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Nacogdoches-Texas.html

Tyler's population is over 99,000 - that's right - THREE TIMES the population of Nacogdoches. The median income in Tyler is $42,448. The unemployment rate is 6.7 percent.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tyler-Texas.html

No wonder there's less traffic in Nacogdoches than in Tyler. There are fewer people - with fewer jobs and less disposable income.

The Tyler area has had a Splash Kingdom for about ten years now, by the way. But congrats on that.

I use the toll way several times a week and it greatly reduces my drive time (and frustrations). It's not "out in the country" - it runs right through numerous bedroom communities just outside of Tyler (communities whose populations are not included in the Tyler population by the way). But in addition to that tollway, there are numerous connecting highways that make up what may as well be another ring to the loop in Tyler which are being built up (Grande for instance), giving better access to the retail explosion in south Tyler. Tyler has struggled with traffic issues - that's the truth - but it's largely because of Tyler's rapid and continuing growth. That growth is because apparently lots and lots of people want to move to and work in Tyler. And THAT'S because it's a really nice place to raise a family.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-08-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 AM

Good grief...I just need help as we are 13 hours away not arguments. My husband has a job that's why we are moving that is not needed. I am looking for a little room but still want my kids to have availability to soccer and Girl Scouts and such. I also want them to have good schools as my daughter is already reading at a 7th grade level entering the 3rd grade. I had read something about schools in Tyler having shootings at football games? Is this true? This is what I need not a nanny nanny boo boo my towns better than yours....

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids007 View Post
Good grief...I just need help as we are 13 hours away not arguments. My husband has a job that's why we are moving that is not needed. I am looking for a little room but still want my kids to have availability to soccer and Girl Scouts and such. I also want them to have good schools as my daughter is already reading at a 7th grade level entering the 3rd grade. I had read something about schools in Tyler having shootings at football games? Is this true? This is what I need not a nanny nanny boo boo my towns better than yours....
Moderator cut: personal attack

I've never heard of a shooting at a football game in Tyler. In fact, I googled it and couldn't find any references to such an event ever happening. Here's the deal about Tyler - it's a city, not a town. It's got great areas, good areas, and bad areas. It's got neighborhoods where you can leave your doors unlocked (especially in the bedroom communities around Tyler) as well as neighborhoods where I'd suggest you put bars on your windows and sleep with a handgun on your nightstand. It's got several colleges so there are apartment complexes around those colleges where crime rates are higher - and then it's got a huge medical community with tons of quiet, picturesque neighborhoods filled with white collar professionals.

Many of the bedroom communities around Tyler have excellent school districts. Everyone is going to tell you their own personal opinion, but I suggest that you pull up a map and then use the GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community link to look up the schools in areas such as Whitehouse, Chapel Hill, Chandler, Flint, Gresham, Troup, Edom, Van, Brownsboro, Mineola, Gladewater, Kilgore, Overton, etc and see what the schools are rated. THEN I would take into consideration the OPINIONS of other people who have actually lived in those areas.

I would narrow it down to three or four towns around Tyler, as well as possibly southeast, south and southwest Tyler, and make a weekend trip here and just drive through the areas, with your tablet zoned in to Realtor.com pulling up nearby homes for sale.

Just my two cents' worth.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-08-2014 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Personal attack, and insulting another member

Old 06-04-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Moderator cut: personal attack

I've never heard of a shooting at a football game in Tyler. In fact, I googled it and couldn't find any references to such an event ever happening. Here's the deal about Tyler - it's a city, not a town. It's got great areas, good areas, and bad areas. It's got neighborhoods where you can leave your doors unlocked (especially in the bedroom communities around Tyler) as well as neighborhoods where I'd suggest you put bars on your windows and sleep with a handgun on your nightstand. It's got several colleges so there are apartment complexes around those colleges where crime rates are higher - and then it's got a huge medical community with tons of quiet, picturesque neighborhoods filled with white collar professionals.

Many of the bedroom communities around Tyler have excellent school districts. Everyone is going to tell you their own personal opinion, but I suggest that you pull up a map and then use the GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community link to look up the schools in areas such as Whitehouse, Chapel Hill, Chandler, Flint, Gresham, Troup, Edom, Van, Brownsboro, Mineola, Gladewater, Kilgore, Overton, etc and see what the schools are rated. THEN I would take into consideration the OPINIONS of other people who have actually lived in those areas.

I would narrow it down to three or four towns around Tyler, as well as possibly southeast, south and southwest Tyler, and make a weekend trip here and just drive through the areas, with your tablet zoned in to Realtor.com pulling up nearby homes for sale.

Just my two cents' worth.

Thank you! Yes I am stressed hate being so far away and thinking will have to make a decision on one or two short trips. Good thing is we will rent so if we really really don't like where we are we can move at the end of lease

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-08-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 03:41 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
Quote:

Shootings at football games? my gosh, that was thrity or forty years ago and ONCE, not shootings, and it was one of those you "dun messed with my woman" things.

No, maybe you should know, inside, I said inside the city limits, Moderator cut: see reasonofficially July 1, 2013, 100,233 people in a fairly small area, the city limits, and another 117,000 just outside and in the county.

I don't know if the 5,6,7 private schools would be of interest to you.

Moderator cut: unnecessary I may be done, let's see if I can stop a 7 year habit of looking at city-data. It may be hard, I'm retired now, and am looking at outside interests, this is the only forum I look at or post in. You see, Tyler information has been a 50 year interest of mine, I once watched, Tyler city council, zoning meetings on the cable. Sorry, I truly hope you find what you need somewhere, I'm certain you will.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-08-2014 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary comment about minorities and crime. Also, do not insult other members. Attack the idea, not the speaker

Old 06-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I see that you have notice how Tyler gets down when some is said that is the truth.I don't care about what they say because Nacogdoches is a better community for you and your family and as a matter of fact the Blue Berry Fest is about to come on June the 24 of this month.If you and your family get the chance to come to Nac which everyone calls it,you can get a good picture of the life and people here in the city and the vibe.

Oh yea the shooting that you where talking about was not a football game but a student who killed a teacher at John Tyler high school about 5 years ago.

I really wish you would have put this in the Texas fourm instead of Tyler because they never have nothing good to say about Nacogodoches/Lufkin area.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I forgot to Tell you Hawkgirl1960 just made a thread on CITY VS.CITY Mid-Life Changes Dallas or Phoniex and you can see what her time was like in Tyler and you can get a better view of what I am saying.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you! Yes I am stressed hate being so far away and thinking will have to make a decision on one or two short trips. Good thing is we will rent so if we really really don't like where we are we can move at the end of lease
Well, that's a smart thing to do. I bet you find the perfect neighborhood in a town you love! You really can't mess up too badly renting for a year before you buy - that gives you plenty of time to scope things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler