U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 AM
 
24 posts, read 41,855 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Thank you ALL for your input. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Your opinions are valued and everyone is allowed to have them. Can someone tell me a local outlet to search for rentals in either area? Craigslist and Realator.com are not coming up with much as well as Zillow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 AM
 
1,064 posts, read 1,571,649 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids007 View Post
Thank you ALL for your input. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers. Your opinions are valued and everyone is allowed to have them. Can someone tell me a local outlet to search for rentals in either area? Craigslist and Realator.com are not coming up with much as well as Zillow.com
You probably can search the ad of the local newspaper at www.TheDailySentinal.com for rentals and buying homes in Nacogdoches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
 
24 posts, read 41,855 times
Reputation: 17
Thank you. I hope all the moderator cuts were not my causing. I am not sure what got cut and what was notes .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,263,451 times
Reputation: 3145
I admittedly have not lived in Nacogdoches in over 20 years, but I have some family in the area and in Tyler. I have some limited recent exposure with Tyler and keep up with people in Nacogdoches. Both are very nice small towns with very good schools and good amenities. Both turn VERY rural very fast, as soon as you get to the edge of town.

Both sound exactly like what you are looking for, with pleasant communities all round them. To me, the influence of the university in Nacogdoches gives it a distinct advantage, though not necessarily for your wants. It is more of a traditional campus, as opposed to the smaller satellite campuses in Tyler, so Nac feels more like a college town because, well, it is.

Like I said, both are close-nit, friendly places. If you value that, you won't go wrong with either. Tyler is bigger and feels more like an exurb of a Texas city than Nac does. But, get a mile out of town and you are in the country in either. Carthage itself isn't a bad place, but is a rural town and may not have everything you're wanting.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be apprehensive about moving to East Texas if I were you. It sounds like a nice fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I admittedly have not lived in Nacogdoches in over 20 years, but I have some family in the area and in Tyler. I have some limited recent exposure with Tyler and keep up with people in Nacogdoches. Both are very nice small towns with very good schools and good amenities. Both turn VERY rural very fast, as soon as you get to the edge of town.

Both sound exactly like what you are looking for, with pleasant communities all round them. To me, the influence of the university in Nacogdoches gives it a distinct advantage, though not necessarily for your wants. It is more of a traditional campus, as opposed to the smaller satellite campuses in Tyler, so Nac feels more like a college town because, well, it is.

Like I said, both are close-nit, friendly places. If you value that, you won't go wrong with either. Tyler is bigger and feels more like an exurb of a Texas city than Nac does. But, get a mile out of town and you are in the country in either. Carthage itself isn't a bad place, but is a rural town and may not have everything you're wanting.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be apprehensive about moving to East Texas if I were you. It sounds like a nice fit.
An exurb...SERIOUSLY?!?

215,000+ people is not an exurb by any stretch of the imagination, its a rather large suburb, comparable to Irving, Texas in both population & skyline size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,263,451 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
An exurb...SERIOUSLY?!?

215,000+ people is not an exurb by any stretch of the imagination, its a rather large suburb, comparable to Irving, Texas in both population & skyline size.
You're right. It's not an exurb in the classic sense, as it is way too far removed from the city. Here is the midpoint between Tyler and Dallas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5163...QxcXN760tQ!2e0


I honestly meant "exurb" as a complimentary description of its size and feel. Do you really think it's a suburb? Of what city?





Definition of EXURB

: a region or settlement that lies outside a city and usually beyond its suburbs and that often is inhabited chiefly by well-to-do families

Someone looking for a sense of what a place is like doesn't care about the "skyline". In fact, I'm not sure why anyone would care about Tyler's "skyline". In the context of the OP's questions, Tyler is a small city of 100,000 people that is quiet, clean, relatively wealthy, and safe. To characterize it as a suburb of Dallas or comparable to Irving is a disservice to Tyler, and you are a Tyler booster!

Truly unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,101,057 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You're right. It's not an exurb in the classic sense, as it is way too far removed from the city. Here is the midpoint between Tyler and Dallas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5163...QxcXN760tQ!2e0


I honestly meant "exurb" as a complimentary description of its size and feel. Do you really think it's a suburb? Of what city?





Definition of EXURB

: a region or settlement that lies outside a city and usually beyond its suburbs and that often is inhabited chiefly by well-to-do families

Someone looking for a sense of what a place is like doesn't care about the "skyline". In fact, I'm not sure why anyone would care about Tyler's "skyline". In the context of the OP's questions, Tyler is a small city of 100,000 people that is quiet, clean, relatively wealthy, and safe. To characterize it as a suburb of Dallas or comparable to Irving is a disservice to Tyler, and you are a Tyler booster!

Truly unbelievable.
What you're trying to accomplish here is lumping Tyler in with Dallas as a far flung exurb out 90 miles east when its not.

Tyler has its own metropolitan area, as does Longview, as does Lufkin, as does Nacogdoches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,263,451 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
What you're trying to accomplish here is lumping Tyler in with Dallas as a far flung exurb out 90 miles east when its not.
No, I am not. In fact, I noted that the notion of such was preposterous.

What I was trying to characterize was what Tyler "felt like" as a place to live. It feels like being in a long-distant commuter town, in that it is not a large city, is not necessarily tied culturally or economically to a large city, yet offers the kind of chain retail, wealth, and bedroom-community aesthetic of a typical exurb.

Thus, why I said Tyler "feels like an exurb of a large Texas city". In other words, it's a little too large and busy to feel like a small town, but isn't connected to a major city like a suburb.

Again, given the context of the OP, describing its "skyline" and "metropolitan area" is really doing it a disservice. Tyler is a very pleasant small city. Living just a few minutes outside Tyler seems like it would be a wonderful fit for the OP, who is searching for rural property that's still close to good schools and some amenities. However, it certainly wouldn't be what anyone who has spent any real time in a city would call "metropolitan" living.

Shame on me. I took it for granted that nobody would confuse Tyler with actually being a suburb of Dallas...

Until you chimed in and said exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM
 
156 posts, read 136,047 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids007 View Post
ok...moving to Texas from Florida. Hubby going to be employed with an oil rig company and will be in West LA and NE Tx so looking in the TX area. Tyler was suggested to us as a starting point. We like more rural than Tyler seems to be. But finding mixed opinions of schools in the smaller towns. Pulled up Lufkin on GreatSchools.org and they ranged from 4's to 8's .... also having a hard time finding rentals in ANY of the towns other than Tyler that are under $1300-1500..or is this the norm as well. Still want our elementary school aged daughter to be able to go to soccer and Girl Scouts without an hour drive. We live rural now but can get to whatever we need within 30 minutes drive. Going cross-eyed trying to research all this stuff.
A bit delayed.

Lufkin is a half decent town. Not far from Nac (as many have noted). We've noticed Lufkin is more big box stores and restaurants (best buy, chills, olive garden, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc). Cracker Barrel currently being built. Has a new wine bar downtown (very welcome and needed addition to this city!).

Nac has a better food scene. Liberty bell restaurant has great food. We frequent Auntie Pastas often.

Have not sought out housing rentals much in Nac. Have found it an issue in Lufkin. Apartments, looks like the newer apartments in Nac is student Housing.

People are friendly in both places. Healthcare is generally better in lufkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 04:42 AM
 
1,064 posts, read 1,571,649 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
A bit delayed.

Lufkin is a half decent town. Not far from Nac (as many have noted). We've noticed Lufkin is more big box stores and restaurants (best buy, chills, olive garden, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc). Cracker Barrel currently being built. Has a new wine bar downtown (very welcome and needed addition to this city!).

Nac has a better food scene. Liberty bell restaurant has great food. We frequent Auntie Pastas often.

Have not sought out housing rentals much in Nac. Have found it an issue in Lufkin. Apartments, looks like the newer apartments in Nac is student Housing.

People are friendly in both places. Healthcare is generally better in lufkin.
Nacogdoches is still building apartments that are affordable for the city and not just for the universty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top