Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times

Advertisements

My daughter is considering attending UT Tyler. Any feedback on the school for an incoming freshman? She is looking at Teaching or Nursing as a profession.

As a Dad, I'm concerned with her safety as well as education. Since we are hours away from her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:43 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,904,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
my daughter is considering attending ut tyler. Any feedback on the school for an incoming freshman? She is looking at teaching or nursing as a profession.

As a dad, i'm concerned with her safety as well as education. Since we are hours away from her.
my opinion the worst college ever!

Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
my opinion the worst college ever!

Poster Dee has a low regard of Tyler in general. Look at the recent posts on Tyler by dee and many of our responses. One of his favorite schools is SFA we pointed out here, read the posts, how US News & World Report have UT Tyler ranked higher than SFA, Facts, seem to confuse DEE, offers opinions as facts and won't offer any "sources" for those facts, because 90% of the time he can't support his facts.

Got to go finish later.....

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Dee's posts are long on entertainment and opinion and short on facts. SFA is a decent school, I'm sure, but UT Tyler generally ranks higher when it comes to a quality education. I have heard good things in particular about the nursing program (Tyler is a medical "hub" in East Texas so there's a big emphasis locally on medical professions).

University of Texas--Tyler | Best College | US News

Stephen F. Austin State University | Best College | US News

Nursing Schools in Texas | Best Nursing Colleges

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Thanks, It is a scary for us since she is our first child leaving the nest.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM

61 posts, read 117,661 times
Hi,

It really just depends on what kind of learning environment your daughter prefers and what her other options are. It's not a bad idea to spend the first two years of one's collegiate career at a satellite campus, especially if one has not yet decided on a major. Get the general education requirements out of the way while taking advantage of the comparatively lower tuition that satellite campuses offer, and, depending on what major she decides on and how she likes the school, she could either stay at UT Tyler for the duration of her studies, or transfer to another UT campus/apply to a different university.

I don't know anything about UT Tyler's School of Education. Their nursing program I'm sure is fine. It's not one of the top-rated in Texas, or even within the UT system, but its proximity to two major hospitals is a selling point and would presumably present a number of internship opportunities, which is critical in today's competitive job market.

List of top-ranked nursing programs (2013):
Best Nursing Schools, Colleges and Universities 2013

As far as safety is concerned, Tyler's crime rate is absolutely on the high side (quite a bit higher than the national average), but UT Tyler is in a good part of town. There are a few apartment complexes surrounding the campus that have crime problems, but I'd assume she'd live on campus her first year, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tExPatriot View Post
Hi,

It really just depends on what kind of learning environment your daughter prefers and what her other options are. It's not a bad idea to spend the first two years of one's collegiate career at a satellite campus, especially if one has not yet decided on a major. Get the general education requirements out of the way while taking advantage of the comparatively lower tuition that satellite campuses offer, and, depending on what major she decides on and how she likes the school, she could either stay at UT Tyler for the duration of her studies, or transfer to another UT campus/apply to a different university.

I don't know anything about UT Tyler's School of Education. Their nursing program I'm sure is fine. It's not one of the top-rated in Texas, or even within the UT system, but its proximity to two major hospitals is a selling point and would presumably present a number of internship opportunities, which is critical in today's competitive job market.

List of top-ranked nursing programs (2013):
Best Nursing Schools, Colleges and Universities 2013

As far as safety is concerned, Tyler's crime rate is absolutely on the high side (quite a bit higher than the national average), but UT Tyler is in a good part of town. There are a few apartment complexes surrounding the campus that have crime problems, but I'd assume she'd live on campus her first year, so that shouldn't be a concern.

Good luck!

campus have HAD crime problems. UTT bought the largest apartment complex and now is campus housing. There were far to many apartments, hundreds built at the same time, not built as needed and the owners decided to "fill em up" with none students many to a room. It was like a small town. The Varsity Apartments have had little problems since they too have restricted income and higher requirements for rental were imposed. So as they say crime shouldn't be an "izzzshuue" erh, ahh problem.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
campus have HAD crime problems. UTT bought the largest apartment complex and now is campus housing. There were far to many apartments, hundreds built at the same time, not built as needed and the owners decided to "fill em up" with none students many to a room. It was like a small town. The Varsity Apartments have had little problems since they too have restricted income and higher requirements for rental were imposed. So as they say crime shouldn't be an "izzzshuue" erh, ahh problem.
UTT and Varsity Place are working on the crime problems, but large-scale improvements are not going to happen overnight.

UTT bought one of the "problem" complexes very recently. I believe in a previous thread, you said that the university plans to fill vacated units with students as the leases expire. So, depending on the length of the leases that the non-students signed, it could take up to 12-18 months to complete a full resident turnover.

As for Varsity Place, they're facing the same issue. They can't legally evict someone in the midst of a lease simply because they don't meet income requirements that were implemented after it was signed. They have to wait until the leases come up for renewal. And judging by the two most recent reviews on apartmentratings.com, a number of problems that previously plagued the complex still exist. Hopefully, that will change in the future. Time will tell.

The changes being made are promising, but they will take time to come full circle. In any event, assuming the OP's daughter lives on campus, it's a non-issue.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tExPatriot View Post
UTT and Varsity Place are working on the crime problems, but large-scale improvements are not going to happen overnight.

UTT bought one of the "problem" complexes very recently. I believe in a previous thread, you said that the university plans to fill vacated units with students as the leases expire. So, depending on the length of the leases that the non-students signed, it could take up to 12-18 months to complete a full resident turnover.

As for Varsity Place, they're facing the same issue. They can't legally evict someone in the midst of a lease simply because they don't meet income requirements that were implemented after it was signed. They have to wait until the leases come up for renewal. And judging by the two most recent reviews on apartmentratings.com, a number of problems that previously plagued the complex still exist. Hopefully, that will change in the future. Time will tell.

The changes being made are promising, but they will take time to come full circle. In any event, assuming the OP's daughter lives on campus, it's a non-issue.
OK, then why bring UP a CRIME Problem that, was, as a non-issue for the daughter?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
OK, then why bring UP a CRIME Problem that, was, as a non-issue for the daughter?
Because I don't KNOW if it will be an issue for the daughter...notice that I prefaced my statement with "assuming she lives on campus." Many, but not all freshman live on campus - they can get waivers for a variety of reasons. Maybe she'll be one of the freshman who doesn't, and if that's the case, it's important for the OP to know that some of the student-oriented apartments have higher crime rates than are typically associated with that type of housing. He explicitly cited concerns about his daughter's safety in his original post, so I kind of doubt that he'd be happy dropping her off for the semester only to find out that her apartment community has a recent history of armed robberies and shootings.

Man Shot and Killed at Varsity Place Apartments - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports
Reserves apartment complex robbery suspect arrested on multiple charges
Police Reports Reflect High Crime - MyTJCNews
Victims in Cambridge Apartments shooting identified - KYTX CBS 19 Tyler Longview News Weather Sports
Varsity Place armed robbery investigation closed - AmericaNowNews.com

Plus, he can tell her to exercise caution at night if visiting friends in these complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler