U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM

50 posts, read 70,929 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me a little about each of these towns
Carthage, Longview and Shreveport----Also are there any smaller towns near these areas with good schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM

25 posts, read 50,282 times
Bump
I'd like information on Longview

Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 PM

44,326 posts, read 35,852,560 times
I just moved from the Longview area back to the Tyler area, so I'm not a good one to ask. I much prefer the area west of Longview over east of Longview and I don't know much about Carthage other than it's out in the middle of nowhere!

I gave Longview a long chance (9 years) and while it's not a bad area to live in, I realized I MUCH prefer the Tyler area so I moved back and am happy as a clam.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:12 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,045,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just moved from the Longview area back to the Tyler area, so I'm not a good one to ask. I much prefer the area west of Longview over east of Longview and I don't know much about Carthage other than it's out in the middle of nowhere!

I gave Longview a long chance (9 years) and while it's not a bad area to live in, I realized I MUCH prefer the Tyler area so I moved back and am happy as a clam.
I've been in Longview a few times during the past couple of weeks now & noticed it is MUCH different than Tyler in many ways.

Things I seemed to notice:

1. Longview just seems a lot less unkept looking (downright dirty) & unorganized as if they have no formal zoning laws like Houston. Businesses aren't set back from the streets, lack of sidewalks, litter everywhere, abandoned strip malls, grassy overgrown lots, tacky billboards hovering over Waffle Shoppes & Super 8 roofs. Again, it reminds me of a smaller version of Houston in a way versus Tyler which is more polished & pristine like Dallas.

2. Longview people have more of a "live & let live" type of attitude versus Tyler being more close minded (though that is changing).

3. Longview has lots of vagrants roaming the streets all over town. Many of them blatantly obvious prostitutes & meth heads. You only see that in far North Tyler & its still nothing compared to Longview as a whole.

4. Longview has a better nightlife, more strip clubs, more bars, & even a thriving gay community (as surprising as that may sound).

5. Longview has more businesses fronting the interstate.

6. Longview is a few years, if not decades behind Tyler in new development.

7. Longview isn't the medical hub of East Texas that Tyler is. Its smaller medical center district is in a very rough part of town with no intent of the city cleaning it up ever IMO. Crack infested motels surrounding it, decaying businesses, etc. Tyler's medical center district is actually very chic, especially with the new "Midtown" designation & surrounding older neighborhoods that have always been very well kept. Sooner rather than later people are going to be moving back to this area from the suburbs, especially younger folks who already work or go to college there (TJC).

8. Longview is more blue collar. Tyler has more white collar jobs.

9. Longview has good shopping & restaurants, but Tyler has more, especially with the new Cumberland development taking shape & Old Jacksonville building out South.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-25-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've been in Longview a few times during the past couple of weeks now & noticed it is MUCH different than Tyler in many ways.

1. Longview just seems a lot less unkept looking (downright dirty) & unorganized as if they have no formal zoning laws like Houston. Businesses aren't set back from the streets, lack of sidewalks, litter everywhere, abandoned strip malls, grassy overgrown lots, tacky billboards hovering over Waffle Shoppes & Super 8 roofs. Again, it reminds me of a smaller version of Houston in a way versus Tyler which is more polished & pristine like Dallas.

2. Longview people have more of a "live & let live" type of attitude versus Tyler being more close minded (though that is changing).

3. Longview has lots of vagrants roaming the streets all over town. Many of them blatantly obvious prostitutes & meth heads. You only see that in far North Tyler & its still nothing compared to Longview as a whole.

4. Longview has a better nightlife, more strip clubs, more bars, & even a thriving gay community (as surprising as that may sound).

7. Longview isn't the medical hub of East Texas that Tyler is. Its smaller medical center district is in a very rough part of town with no intent of the city cleaning it up ever IMO. Crack infested motels surrounding it, decaying businesses, etc. Tyler's medical center district is actually very chic, especially with the new "Midtown" designation & surrounding older neighborhoods that have always been very well kept. Sooner rather than later people are going to be moving back to this area from the suburbs, especially younger folks who already work or go to college there (TJC).

9. Longview has good shopping & restaurants, but Tyler has more, especially with the new Cumberland development taking shape & Old Jacksonville building out South.
I agree with every bit of this post.

Longview has some great people, some good shopping for a town it's size, and some very nice neighborhoods, especially north of town. But overall, it's a rougher town and as you said first and foremost, that shows in it's unkempt appearance. I really don't like that.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree with every bit of this post.

Longview has some great people, some good shopping for a town it's size, and some very nice neighborhoods, especially north of town. But overall, it's a rougher town and as you said first and foremost, that shows in it's unkempt appearance. I really don't like that.
I'm curious why Longview developed this way. Do they not have any formal zoning laws over there like Houston?

It does have some nice neighborhoods here & there, but something about the town as a whole strikes me as being very seedy looking & dirty feeling.

Tyler has its rough neighborhoods, but nothing like Longview has.

I have NEVER in my life seen so many prostitutes, meth heads, & ramshackle looking businesses in such a small town as I have with Longview. It even gives Houston a run for its money there & you're talking about a city of 2+ million people versus a town of approximately 80,000.

Not knocking our neighbor 35 miles to the east, but I can't deny what I've witnessed with my own two eyes in the past 2 weeks.

I've often wondered if Tyler would be like that if it was right off the interstate, as if somehow it acts as a "buffer zone" for Tyler. Longview being a predominately blue collar town might also contribute to that.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-25-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 02:34 PM

213 posts, read 307,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Longview and Tyler have nothing really to do with Dallas and Houston other than being somewhat smaller city rivals. Dallas is only pristine in certain areas. Just like Houston, it's older burbs are decaying and along with the aesthetics of the landscape, it's not pretty. Longview and Tyler are more like Midland and Odessa.

Tyler is more like Dallas and Houston than Longview is, as it also has some manufacturing with Trane, and an oil refinery, while Longview has a large chemical plant. Tyler's social scene is mini version of the notorious social scenes in Houston and Dallas. Longview is more quiet with it's so-called hidden wealth.

Tyler is nice in most areas and planned to a capital T, but traffic can be more horrendous than Westheimer at certain times of the day.

Longview has the dilemma of being in the middle of two larger city markets, which in return allows both Shreveport and Tyler to feed off of Longview's tax base. Because of this, Shreveport and Tyler will get retail stores and restaurants first.

Longview has very nice high-end residential areas in town in and around Thorntree, Huntington Park, Fountain Place, Wildwood, Spring Hill, and north of town Around Hunters Creek, Bar K Ranch, and Bar Chase. Tyler's historic Azalea District is better connected and kept than Longview's Southside Historic District.

Both Tyler and Longview have great private schools with Tyler having better private schools and Longview having better public schools with newer facilities and overall better schools with Spring Hill, White Oak, and Hallsville ISD.

Longview's medical district is in two areas separated by residential areas on 4th St. Longview Regional Medical Center just completed a massive expansion and it's in located in north Longview by the commercial area. Good Shepherd is located next to the fancy Historic neighborhood of Nugget Hill and the Trinity Episcopal Private School. There is a high level of homeless pedestrian activity on Hwy 80, as there is also activity north of Trinity Mother Francis Medical Center in Tyler.

While I love Carlito's and Pizza King in Longview, Tyler has a better culinary and shopping scene, but you can also purchase an Italian tux and buy Rolex in Longview if you needed too.

Toll Rd 49 that runs around the Tyler metro is even planned to connect with Longview with Kilgore in the middle.

One of these days far far away Longview and Tyler will understand that they are more powerful together than separate.

All three cities have pros and cons, and if you live

Shreveport is the city with very ugly and crime ridden areas, but it also has amazing high-end and ultra wealthy areas as well. It's really a tale of two worlds. Shreveport has the best shopping and has both Tyler and Longview beat on the culinary and nightlife scene.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
Longview and Tyler have nothing really to do with Dallas and Houston other than being somewhat smaller city rivals. Dallas is only pristine in certain areas. Just like Houston, it's older burbs are decaying and along with the aesthetics of the landscape, it's not pretty. Longview and Tyler are more like Midland and Odessa.

Tyler is more like Dallas and Houston than Longview is, as it also has some manufacturing with Trane, and an oil refinery, while Longview has a large chemical plant. Tyler's social scene is mini version of the notorious social scenes in Houston and Dallas. Longview is more quiet with it's so-called hidden wealth.

Tyler is nice in most areas and planned to a capital T, but traffic can be more horrendous than Westheimer at certain times of the day.

Longview has the dilemma of being in the middle of two larger city markets, which in return allows both Shreveport and Tyler to feed off of Longview's tax base. Because of this, Shreveport and Tyler will get retail stores and restaurants first.

Longview has very nice high-end residential areas in town in and around Thorntree, Huntington Park, Fountain Place, Wildwood, Spring Hill, and north of town Around Hunters Creek, Bar K Ranch, and Bar Chase. Tyler's historic Azalea District is better connected and kept than Longview's Southside Historic District.

Both Tyler and Longview have great private schools with Tyler having better private schools and Longview having better public schools with newer facilities and overall better schools with Spring Hill, White Oak, and Hallsville ISD.

Longview's medical district is in two areas separated by residential areas on 4th St. Longview Regional Medical Center just completed a massive expansion and it's in located in north Longview by the commercial area. Good Shepherd is located next to the fancy Historic neighborhood of Nugget Hill and the Trinity Episcopal Private School. There is a high level of homeless pedestrian activity on Hwy 80, as there is also activity north of Trinity Mother Francis Medical Center in Tyler.

While I love Carlito's and Pizza King in Longview, Tyler has a better culinary and shopping scene, but you can also purchase an Italian tux and buy Rolex in Longview if you needed too.

Toll Rd 49 that runs around the Tyler metro is even planned to connect with Longview with Kilgore in the middle.

One of these days far far away Longview and Tyler will understand that they are more powerful together than separate.

All three cities have pros and cons, and if you live

Shreveport is the city with very ugly and crime ridden areas, but it also has amazing high-end and ultra wealthy areas as well. It's really a tale of two worlds. Shreveport has the best shopping and has both Tyler and Longview beat on the culinary and nightlife scene.
Tyler is the larger city. Both metros are neck & neck.

Shreveport is more like a smaller version of Fort Worth. Its not really a "major city", but its much larger than Tyler & Longview.

You get more of that big city vibe in Shreveport, naturally, even though its quite small itself.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-25-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 06:46 AM

Shreveport doesn't have Tyler beat on the culinary scene, in my opinion - not by a long shot. I mean, it has MORE restaurants and more chain names, but that's only because it's bigger. I've eaten out all over Shreveport and almost without exception, the service was TERRIBLE and the food was mediocre - except for a few privately owned restaurants that are not franchises.

That's just my personal experience and opinion.

Longview has it's pluses -for instance in many ways the shopping experience in Longview is better than in Tyler. You don't have to fight the traffic like you do in Tyler and Longview has many of the same stores, and in some cases I prefer the Longview branch over the Tyler branch (Dillards and Pier 1 spring to mind immediately).

But I agree with Metro Matt about the seediness of many of the areas of Longview and don't even get me going on Shreveport! Out of those three cities, Tyler is definitely the more aesthetically pleasing overall in my opinion. FOR A CITY IT'S SIZE it's hard to beat.

Tyler also has a feeling of prosperity and gentility that is missing in both Longview and Shreveport. Now - that's not saying that Tyler doesn't have some seedy areas, because it does. However, they're not widespread - they're more "contained" than Longview or Shreveport, and I think that's because major thoroughfares don't cut through them like they do in the other two cities.

Also, Tyler is aggressive about cleaning up and bettering areas over time. For instance, the west and southwest loop areas. When I first moved to East Texas 25 years ago, that part of Tyler was languishing - a bit undeveloped and sort of scruffy looking. Over the past ten years, that area has been polished and built up and cleaned up and is now thriving and growing, with new businesses and neighborhoods cropping up everywhere.

Tyler just doesn't have the empty storefronts and unkempt, overgrown lots and tattered billboards that Longview has. Tyler also has a lot more new construction going on, while many businesses in Longview limp along or close up after a try. Overall, Tyler has a more prosperous vibe and I really like that. It feels like "good karma."

The flip side is that it can feel more pretentious but considering that I don't run in pretentious circles, that doesn't bother me. In fact, my friends and I think the Rose Queen brouhaha is ridiculous and hilarious, and we always have.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
Don't move to Carthage. There is NOTHING here!! There used to be a public pool. Gone. Bowling alley? Gone.Movie Theater? Gone. There still is a skating rink, but how many high school kids want to do that every weekend and on dates? Nothing for kids to do, even younger go to Marshall or Longview just to watch movies or go to the arcades. Nothing for couples to do either, after you have eaten in the two (three if you count Denny's) restaurants. There are plenty of fast food crap though. AND the crime rate is higher than the US national standard per city-data. I was warned when we moved here 4 years ago that things are not what they seem. People will act like they are nice & like you, then talk about you. I was told it takes about 6 years before you 'fit in' and they accept you. Also watch out for the 'Stepford Wives' kind of gals around town. You won't miss them, they are all high maintenance, same haircut, same blonde dye jobs and they all look down their noses at someone new or who can't trace their Carthage family history back 3 or more generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler