U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:06 AM

5 posts, read 4,314 times

Advertisements

Im moving from Houston. I currently live in a garage apt in a very nice neighborhood near the museum district/montrose. Visited to look at apartments yesterday along old jackson, and while nice, Id very much prefer to be near a more historical district in a similar garage apt or more urban apartment loft thing so I feel like Im more part of a neighborhood. I found Moore Grocery Lofts which seem people arent too happy with lately. Is there anything else in that area near Bergan park that is similar with a more urban feel? Could rent a house yes, but dont need that much space...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM

44,314 posts, read 35,852,560 times
Check Craigs List for possible garage apartment rentals in the Azalea District or Charnwood area. You might be able to find something charming!

Good luck - Tyler is a nice place to live.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
Lived in a garage apartment on Hudson Street for seven years, wish I had not bought a house, however nice, and moved from these apartments. They are OLD built in 1952, very well maintained. Central heat and air, disposal, oven, frig, dishwasher no microwave or washer/dryer. You do get to use the garage below, very cheap rent, good neighbors for seven years. Very small closet. Carpeted six garage apartments behind the six houses, you have a nice view from the dining room window of gardens or peoples huge back yards. Wooded area, beautiful in spring and fall, with dogwoods azaleas etc. Nice homes, some large homes in the area. Six blocks to Bergfield Park. 3 blocks to Brookshires Grocery Store Phone number is 903-593-3724 is for Wedgewood Apartments they also rent these garage apartments. I have/had looked the city over, no better place can be found for location and what you get except for much higher rent.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Mark

Thank you very much. I forgot to mention the labrador, and it seems Wedgewood has a small size restriction

If anything else pops into anyones head I woud appreciate it!

Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitimeweb View Post
Mark

Thank you very much. I forgot to mention the labrador, and it seems Wedgewood has a small size restriction

If anything else pops into anyones head I woud appreciate it!
Did the apartment rep. refer you to corporate, which is Roosth Properties 903-593-8333. They maintain their properties, apartments, houses, duplexes but all of the units are not in the best places. Yes, and I didn't know about restrictions to small pets. On Hudson, Wedgewood does rent those 6 houses which are 3-1- and garage. The rents would still be some of the lowest in Tyler. Just thought of the Genecov Group 903-5884 may have something for you again be careful some may not be in the better areas. Otherwise if you had access to the daily Tyler paper you might find something there, I think, not sure, Tyler now charges for on-line paper access.

I'll let you know if anything pops up. I doubt anything you would like would "pop up" on craigslist, but there are many typical apartments listed there, also many mobile homes on Shiloh Rd and in The Ranch, just so you know.

Well, good luck.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:33 PM

61 posts, read 93,557 times
I second Kathryn's idea.

Go to the East TX craigs list page, and under housing, click on the apts/housing link. Then search for "azalea." Several results are returned, including a one bed/one bath garage apartment and a studio apartment (if you're interested in something smaller).

Just a word of caution though, while the heart of the Azalea district itself is nice, parts of the surrounding area get kind of run-down quick. Not like inner-city Detroit or anything, but old, poorly-maintained houses (some even abandoned); overgrown lawns; a few small, old, and very low-rent apartment complexes; etc.

As a general rule, the closer to Vine St you get as you move west, the less desirable the area becomes. So keep that in mind when you're looking, as it might save you some trouble. Some managers of these dumpy rentals will advertise using the Azalea district name in hopes of attracting prospective renters that don't know any better.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM

I did notice that! I was going to comment on that housing thread about that. I think there is real investor potential in this city - and not in the new buildings but in rehab property investment. SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES!

Mark - I did not actually visit. I saw that on their website and scratched it off the list.

What grocery stores serve the Azalea district? The only ones Ive been able to find is brookshires way the heck down broadway or fresh way the heck out as well...anything closer?

Also recycling - Does Tyler recycle? Is there a recycling center nearby?

Old 01-10-2015, 02:57 PM

double post sorry

Old 01-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitimeweb View Post
I did notice that! I was going to comment on that housing thread about that. I think there is real investor potential in this city - and not in the new buildings but in rehab property investment. SO MANY OPPORTUNITIES!

Mark - I did not actually visit. I saw that on their website and scratched it off the list.

What grocery stores serve the Azalea district? The only ones Ive been able to find is brookshires way the heck down broadway or fresh way the heck out as well...anything closer?

Also recycling - Does Tyler recycle? Is there a recycling center nearby?

You have to bring recycle items to a location very close to downtown, just off "The Square" two or three blocks West.

Yes, there is a nice Brookshires that serves the Azalea District just one block south of Bergfield Park, and one block East of Broadway in the Bergfield Center. Shopped there for 7 years, very well run grocery store.

Only Brookshires, which as you know are Tyler based, headquarters. New Neighborhood Wal-Mart about 2 miles away at Troup and the Loop. To my surprise, really nice, twice as many grocery items, as the largest Wal-Mart Super Centers. Larger Brookshires down past TJC about two miles East Loop and Fifth.

Hope this helps. Best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or