U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:56 PM

343 posts, read 373,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yeah...i dont consider Tyler a truly small town anymore either...i consider it a medium sized town...but i also know that from what im aware of, it certainly isnt a large city either...in states like virginia, and missouri, one you get outside the major metros, cities the size of Tyler, Roanoke, Lynchburg, Springfield etc are considered major cities...for me though, i attribute that to having comparably small towns in the region rather than any viable cities to compare it to...so when speaking of texas cities, i tend to use texas standards, so to speak.
I agree that Tyler truly isn't a real small town. There are states in America where Tyler would be the largest city in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,675,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post
I agree that Tyler truly isn't a real small town. There are states in America where Tyler would be the largest city in!
It's still a town, though, which kinda answers the question.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:14 AM

2,638 posts, read 3,569,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
It's still a town, though, which kinda answers the question.
What's your definition of a "town" and what is it based on, other than a personal opinion. Just asking. Census Bureau defines a metro as one with a CITY OF 50,000 population or more.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:37 AM

84 posts, read 170,296 times
I think small city is the most honest description of Tyler. In my opinion it's a stretch to classify Tyler as a town at this point but it obviously isn't a large city either. I think mid-sized city is too generous as well. Most metros that are classified as 'mid-sized' have a core city with a population of 130K-200K and a metro than can range from 300K on up to nearly a million. Shreveport is the best nearby example of a solid mid-sized city/metro area. Shreveport proper has a population of around 200K with a metro population more than twice that.

If Tyler remains prosperous as it has for most of the recent past I could see us actually becoming a mid-sized metro, it will just take a wile. I did some rough calculations and came up with a few numbers:

I calculated a 1.5% per year growth. This is a safe assumption I think, a little less and a little more than a couple of the past two decades.

Tyler Proper

2020: 111K
2030: 128K
2040: 147K
2050: 169K

As for our metro area, I just went with Smith County. I know that some of our metro exists outside of the county but the majority of it is within it.

Smith County

2020: 240K
2030: 276K
2040: 318K
2050: 365K

So as you can see here, if this amount of growth is realized we will be a mid-sized metro within the next few decades.

And now that I've gone completely off the topic the OP brought up, I'll give my (white male) opinion on that. A quarter of the city's population is black. The black community seems to be represented at numerous different levels of the local workforce- from bankers and other white collar professionals, doctors, nurses and other health professionals, teachers and professors, manufacturing and blue collar, retail and service industry, and others. There is also black representation in the city and county governments. I can't really comment on what segment black Tylerites occupy most- I honestly don't know.

And if we're being honest here we would have to admit that there are probably a number of people around here that have some deep seeded racism issues due to their upbringing and other cultural forces. This can be said for much of the South. I don't think that these feelings are routinely taken out on anyone, but again, this is coming from a white male.

I'm similar to Kathryn though in that I have mixed race child (black/white) and I can't recall having ever experienced any negative reactions from anyone. Any comments we've been give are on how cute she and her curly hair are.

To give you a glimpse of race relations in Tyler, there was recently a solidarity march downtown over the recent police involved shootings that drew a crowd of a few hundred. Our MLK rally and march last month drew nearly a thousand people of various races and political stripes. Does this mean racism is over in Tyler? Surely not but it is a good sign in my eyes.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:00 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,138,721 times
I call Tyler a big town. Small cities to me are places like Tulsa, Baton Rouge, Columbia etc. Tyler's urban area population is barely over 100K.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:12 AM

84 posts, read 170,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I call Tyler a big town. Small cities to me are places like Tulsa, Baton Rouge, Columbia etc. Tyler's urban area population is barely over 100K.
Tulsa's metro is between 960K and just over one million depending on what numbers you look at. You classify that as a small city?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:22 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,138,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietthings View Post
Tulsa's metro is between 960K and just over one million depending on what numbers you look at. You classify that as a small city?
I prefer to look at urban area numbers, since MSAs tend to include some areas that are quite far out and not really connected to the city.

So yes I call Tulsa a small city.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:58 PM

343 posts, read 373,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Agree that Tyler is more of a big town than a small town. If someone is looking for a "small town" Henderson is 35 miles down State Highway 64 East. And if you don't want to drive that far, Kilgore is just 25 miles east on State Highway 31.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:29 PM

2,638 posts, read 3,569,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post

There are states in America where Tyler would be the largest city in![/quote]

Yep, as I listed all the states, in an earlier post. Tyler "get lost" in Texas with all the DFW larger suburban boom towns that just have grown because they were really in the "growth line" of a booming Dallas or Fort Worth. Yes, it is what it is. California, Florida, and a few other states the few Tyler would be thought of as a smaller place. Way more than half of the states it wouldn't be "lost" among the "bigger boys"

Oh, side note, many people who experience Tyler for the first time during a week day or surprised with it's much larger "feel" as police say Tyler expands to almost 200,000 during week days. I'm done.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 942 times
Please! Do NOT take the advice to move to Austin. I am stuck in Austin right now and I can tell you its NOT where you want to live if you're a person of color. Austin used to be diverse, but the Austin Chamber of Commerce and some developers with deep pockets have been doing a lot of political strong-arming to make the city more attractive to the "right" kind of people (preferably rich, white, and well-connected).

Austin hides behind the 2010 census numbers, but there's actually less than 8% African-American in Austin, and I'm guessing the number will drop below 7% by the next census. There's a small Asian and a larger Latino population, but they are being segregated by both city and county policies into certain parts of town, and then finding themselves not getting any where near the same kind of services that the more affluent (read: white) parts of Austin get.

You won't read this anywhere, because the local newspaper and the local Chronicle march in step with Austin Chamber of Commerce, and most of the "articles" you read about Austin being liberal and diverse are actually sponsored-content paid for by "Opportunity Austin" consultants, which, yes, work for Austin Chamber of Commerce.

The one thing they can't cover up is the number of minorities being shot by Austin police, and the out of control number of minorities being incarcerated in Austin and most of the counties in Central Texas. (do some internet searches--you will see what I am talking about). I just heard a presentation by the president of the NAACP chapter here, and its honestly scary to hear the statistics of just how bad its getting here.

Sorry to go off subject, but I think somebody needs to warn the OP that Austin is definitely NOT a safe city for people of color anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or