U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 05:52 AM

5 posts, read 12,195 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if Tyler Texas was black people friendly? Are there any good paying jobs in Texas and if so what are best cities to live in for middle class black working family? Are there any mixed communities in the State of Texas that are friendly to middle class black people?

( Please no answers mentioning the ghetto, I'm a worker not a handout person)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,686,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmawipes1 View Post
I was wondering if Tyler Texas was black people friendly? Are there any good paying jobs in Texas and if so what are best cities to live in for middle class black working family? Are there any mixed communities in the State of Texas that are friendly to middle class black people?

If you are looking for a middle class income/lifestyle and a place with plenty of opportunity---ESPECIALLY being Black...then Tyler is NOT the Texas city you want to live in. You should be looking at Dallas or Houston instead.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Oh please. There are plenty of middle class African American professionals around here. My family is multiracial and we've lived in the Tyler area for decades with no problems whatsoever. None. Nada. And we're definitely white color middle class (and upper middle class).

If you go looking for a problem, you're likely to find one but Tyler is a pleasant town full of nice, friendly people of all sorts of skin tones and backgrounds. We have a very large medical community as well as four colleges (including a historically African American college) and these fields as well as others attract AA professionals.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:04 AM

25 posts, read 39,955 times
I can offer you a White man's experience, which may or may not be helpful. I recently moved my family here for Austin and I'll say that I've found the Black people here to be surprisingly friendly and neighborly compared to those in my former community. My wife (not White) and our children all like the Tyler community better, too. I do, however, wish there were more Asians here.
They would be very welcoming to you in Austin where the city makes a big effort to implement Diversity with wide support from the community.

As for jobs, it has been difficult for me to find decent employment. Don't know what field you work in, but it might not be easy for you to find a job either, regardless of whether or not you feel you might be disadvantaged because of your race. The large metro areas of Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio will have the largest Black communities and most job opportunities.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRi9htHand View Post
I can offer you a White man's experience, which may or may not be helpful. I recently moved my family here for Austin and I'll say that I've found the Black people here to be surprisingly friendly and neighborly compared to those in my former community. My wife (not White) and our children all like the Tyler community better, too. I do, however, wish there were more Asians here.
They would be very welcoming to you in Austin where the city makes a big effort to implement Diversity with wide support from the community.

As for jobs, it has been difficult for me to find decent employment. Don't know what field you work in, but it might not be easy for you to find a job either, regardless of whether or not you feel you might be disadvantaged because of your race. The large metro areas of Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio will have the largest Black communities and most job opportunities.

Not sure what field you work in, but the unemployment rate in Tyler is 5.3 which is below the national average. However, Longview's unemployment rate is even lower, at 4.4. So of course, individual reasons vary, but jobs aren't scarce around here.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:31 AM

2,648 posts, read 3,585,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not sure what field you work in, but the unemployment rate in Tyler is 5.3 which is below the national average. However, Longview's unemployment rate is even lower, at 4.4. So of course, individual reasons vary, but jobs aren't scarce around here.

Kathryn: Rates even better now. December Tyler 4.1% Longview 3.5% .

Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,464,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmawipes1 View Post

I would not recommend Tyler nor any city in that area. My experience is from the early 90s when I hung out with folks from the Athens-Larue area. They didn't really seem to have any kind of appreciation for black people. There was a very palpable segregation of blacks living literally "on the other side of the tracks". There were about 6 closeted gay men, one of them who held a public office. Every year, Tyler holds its "Rose Festival". Let's see how many non-Anglo white girls dress up and wave to the adoring crowds.
Please don't do it. I'll never understand why those people are that way.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I would not recommend Tyler nor any city in that area. My experience is from the early 90s when I hung out with folks from the Athens-Larue area. They didn't really seem to have any kind of appreciation for black people. There was a very palpable segregation of blacks living literally "on the other side of the tracks". There were about 6 closeted gay men, one of them who held a public office. Every year, Tyler holds its "Rose Festival". Let's see how many non-Anglo white girls dress up and wave to the adoring crowds.
Please don't do it. I'll never understand why those people are that way.
ANY small town ANYWHERE in the US is going to be a sort of "closed society." Athens in particular has a reputation in East Texas as being a corrupt, insular sort of little town. LITTLE TOWN.

Tyler is not Athens - not by a long shot.

And white people all over Tyler laugh at, not WITH, the Rose Festival. It's ridiculous pageantry and only a miniscule portion of the local population takes it seriously. It's Tyler's "old money" and they are DEFINITELY in the tiny minority considering the huge influx of professionals (of all races and colors and nationalities) who have poured into Tyler in the past twenty years. The Tyler of today is nothing like the Tyler of 1990 by the way. I know - I lived there then and still live there and it's changed dramatically, for the better.

But even then (actually I moved to Tyler in 1993) I raised four biracial kids in the Tyler school district with zero problems. Our multiracial family had no problems and I have never regretted moving my family here. In fact, one of my biracial adult children just moved her multiracial family back to this area after having lived all over the world as a military family. She is thrilled to be back in East Texas and she and her family have settled in nicely. Her husband, who is Hispanic, immediately got a job and they had no problems finding a house in a good neighborhood to rent till they can buy something.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 AM

97 posts, read 133,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRi9htHand View Post

Hmm...this just doesn't sound right to me for some reason.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebiker78 View Post
Hmm...this just doesn't sound right to me for some reason.
Maybe because you're only looking at half the sentence? The full sentence says, " I've found the Black people here to be surprisingly friendly and neighborly compared to those in my former community."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or