Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,145 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm a transplanted Houstonian since 2006. A widowed housewife.
I've heard from more than a dozen people here that "Tyler is beautiful but it is mostly a retirement or resort area. If you don't have the last name or didn't grow up here and become friends with someone who did, you'll have to look elsewhere for work, other than restaurant and retail."

I thought these people were just cynical, perhaps it is just an issue most small towns have. They all seemed like very nice people and I wondered why their luck was so bad.
Until I sent out resumes and applied at numerous offices, hiring agencies and many other places suggested to me. After printing up almost a hundred resumes, and going -in person- to hand them out, I started understanding that these folks were accurate.

One man told me that he put all of his kids through college, they took regular courses but had to move to Dallas to gain employment.
These are regular people with at least average intelligence. Definitely not from the lower end of the socio-economic spectrum. There shouldn't be any reason why they would be denied work.

After losing everything I have, having to move in with a friend after going deeply into debt, I don't think this is a stable place for someone who lives in a larger city to move in unless they have a degree and even then, it probably needs to be something in medicine or engineering.

No one can survive on retail or restaurant wages. This town is growing and it's made no sense to me why there aren't more jobs. I'm answered with "the only thing we're adding are -more- restaurants and retail jobs."

I have one other question, and that is about industries. How come so many have left? It can't all be outsourcing.

Last edited by Tyler Denizen; 04-24-2015 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
You have mostly been correct. Tyler mostly, has retail jobs or higher paying medical field jobs. Largest employer is medical. Next is retail restaurant, and some other professional jobs. City is not only, by any means, a retirement center, 15%, maybe 20%.

Tyler lost the Goodyear Tire Plant because Goodyear could expand and move to a smaller rural town in the South. Carrier Air. Corp. closed and did likewise. The Train Corporation moved employees to Louisiana and Mexico cutting employment here by about a half. Many support jobs left as well. I've seen it written Tyler lost 9,500 jobs and gained more than 7,000 from Medical and retail since about 2008 Figures as given, don't completely compute/work because total jobs have risen above the 2008 levels now.

Main problem: The Tyler City Council and Manager all followed/follow a mandate directed or stated in an election in citywide election in 1995 to pay off all city bond debt,was accomplished around 4 or 5 years ago, Tyler was then debt free and has become a pay as you go only, city.

Next was to reduce the city tax rate, by hiring a great city manager, among other things, who is now the assistant city manager of Dallas, no less. Tyler has reduced their tax rate about 5 years ago to the lowest CITY, I said CITY, tax rate of any city in Texas over 15,000 in population.

Point of all this now, no/none, dollars/money can be spent directly for job growth, per the election of 1995. Yes Tyler can do what every other city in Texas does or can do, offer tax abatements, city/county/T.I.S.D which is postponement of payment of any taxes for 3-5 years or whatever. No money can be spent out the collected city sales tax money or property tax money, for direct job creation. So in short almost no job growth now, except medical, because Tyler is THE Medical Center of East Texas, and the creation of retail/restaurant jobs. The last large company of any kind to move here was the Target Distribution Center with approximately 1,000 jobs, it really is in, near Lindale but was a coop job between Tyler and Lindale.

Tyler just recently opened the new Centene Corp. high paying medical call center, about 350 jobs. This thing was big in the news story for over two years, lol. Tyler got the company, Tyler was competing with Alabama, Mayor Bass, the mayor then, told me if Governor Perry gives Tyler 1,250,000 dollars Tyler will get the company if not, Tyler will not get the company. Gov did, Tyler did. He has some type fund, I think called the Enterprise Fund where give he gives/directs money to various cities competing with other states for companies, a partial small amount of the STATE sales taxes they collected, from the city involved. He gave/directed by committee I guess, San Antonio enough money to land the Toyota Assembly Plant a few years ago, a SLIGHTLY, lol, larger check went to San Antonio as compared to Tyler. It should be that way, before I get corrected.

Enough you say, this is the honest to gosh, truth about the subject of, why no jobs in Tyler. New sales tax money, about a 10% increase, came to Tyler from the sale of beer and wine which saved Tyler's rear for the last year or so.

But it simply isn't true in my experience and most of the others I know, that you have to know someone that knows someone to get good job, has not been my experience or others I have known for the last 25 years I've been in Tyler. Simply, Tyler is now full of people from some where else. Yes this was oh so true when I left Tyler, because of this, in 1965. I came back in 1990, yes it was hard to find a job even then, but found one not because I knew someone for sure, or my family connections.

Sorry to break the news, but it is what it is. There are clicks here in Tyler. But there are at least twice as many non clicks. This part is just my opinion only, of course. The other stuff is "just plain fact".

But hey, good luck to you !!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
You have mostly been correct. Tyler mostly, has retail jobs or higher paying medical field jobs. Largest employer is medical. Next is retail restaurant, and some other professional jobs. City is not only, by any means, a retirement center, 15%, maybe 20%.

Tyler lost the Goodyear Tire Plant because Goodyear could expand and move to a smaller rural town in the South. Carrier Air. Corp. closed and did likewise. The Train Corporation moved employees to Louisiana and Mexico cutting employment here by about a half. Many support jobs left as well. I've seen it written Tyler lost 9,500 jobs and gained more than 7,000 from Medical and retail since about 2008 Figures as given, don't completely compute/work because total jobs have risen above the 2008 levels now.

Main problem: The Tyler City Council and Manager all followed/follow a mandate directed or stated in an election in citywide election in 1995 to pay off all city bond debt,was accomplished around 4 or 5 years ago, Tyler was then debt free and has become a pay as you go only, city.

Next was to reduce the city tax rate, by hiring a great city manager, among other things, who is now the assistant city manager of Dallas, no less. Tyler has reduced their tax rate about 5 years ago to the lowest CITY, I said CITY, tax rate of any city in Texas over 15,000 in population.

Point of all this now, no/none, dollars/money can be spent directly for job growth, per the election of 1995. Yes Tyler can do what every other city in Texas does or can do, offer tax abatements, city/county/T.I.S.D which is postponement of payment of any taxes for 3-5 years or whatever. No money can be spent out the collected city sales tax money or property tax money, for direct job creation. So in short almost no job growth now, except medical, because Tyler is THE Medical Center of East Texas, and the creation of retail/restaurant jobs. The last large company of any kind to move here was the Target Distribution Center with approximately 1,000 jobs, it really is in, near Lindale but was a coop job between Tyler and Lindale.

Tyler just recently opened the new Centene Corp. high paying medical call center, about 350 jobs. This thing was big in the news story for over two years, lol. Tyler got the company, Tyler was competing with Alabama, Mayor Bass, the mayor then, told me if Governor Perry gives Tyler 1,250,000 dollars Tyler will get the company if not, Tyler will not get the company. Gov did, Tyler did. He has some type fund, I think called the Enterprise Fund where give he gives/directs money to various cities competing with other states for companies, a partial small amount of the STATE sales taxes they collected, from the city involved. He gave/directed by committee I guess, San Antonio enough money to land the Toyota Assembly Plant a few years ago, a SLIGHTLY, lol, larger check went to San Antonio as compared to Tyler. It should be that way, before I get corrected.

Enough you say, this is the honest to gosh, truth about the subject of, why no jobs in Tyler. New sales tax money, about a 10% increase, came to Tyler from the sale of beer and wine which saved Tyler's rear for the last year or so.

But it simply isn't true in my experience and most of the others I know, that you have to know someone that knows someone to get good job, has not been my experience or others I have known for the last 25 years I've been in Tyler. Simply, Tyler is now full of people from some where else. Yes this was oh so true when I left Tyler, because of this, in 1965. I came back in 1990, yes it was hard to find a job even then, but found one not because I knew someone for sure, or my family connections.

Sorry to break the news, but it is what it is. There are clicks here in Tyler. But there are at least twice as many non clicks. This part is just my opinion only, of course. The other stuff is "just plain fact".

But hey, good luck to you !!
Good post.

To the OP: Tyler is growing, not downsizing, and the job market is growing right along with it.

Here are the top employers in Tyler:

East Texas Medical Center.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System.
Tyler Independent School District.
Brookshire Grocery Company.
Trane Company.
Walmart.
Carrier Corporation.
SuddenLink.

Of course there are thousands and thousands of smaller companies and businesses as well. For instance, the oil and gas sector is very large in Tyler - yes, even with the recent downturn in oil prices. In fact, I just got a message from a friend of mine who works in the employment sector and she told me that they have a TON of oil and gas related jobs that are currently open. Those pay very well.

I've lived in the Tyler area for over twenty five years. My family is not from here and we're not prestigious or "connected" and I've simply never had any trouble finding a professional job in this area, nor have I found Tyler to even remotely "feel like" a retirement - centered city. I raised my kids here and they don't think of it as any sort of retirement town either. Of course, it's not DFW or Austin or Houston but it's got lots of amenities for a small city of it's size.

Express Employment Professionals has a professional placement department. Have you tried interviewing there?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,145 times
Thank you for the responses. That puts a lot of things into perspective.
A friend of mine in Dallas has told me, without ever saying anything to her, that she thinks the problem is I live in just too small of a town. Many people here tell me that Longview, as poor and crime-ridden as the town is compared to Tyler, has more jobs.
I know of one other guy who sent out 300 resumes. Most weren't -in person- though. He never got one response here.

I dislike the idea of moving back to a large city but if things don't get better (I'm finally throwing in the towel and applying for food stamps, I have no choice but to eat!), I may take her up on that challenge and look for a job in the outskirts of Dallas where she lives.

PS: yes, among many other places, I tried Centene, in spite of the complaints I hear from people who work there. Wasn't accepted. Yes, employment agencies as well. Most say they don't have anything. Others tell you to call in every morning (after you've interviewed) and never contact. I have timed myself on typing tests and can get into the 80 wpm range. Slower on 10-key.

PPS: Mark, I was afraid with the number of college students we have, that getting beer would be a huge problem but so far, it hasn't been.
If we ever allow hard liquor, I guess I can work in a liquor store, lol!

Last edited by Tyler Denizen; 04-26-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 12:41 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good post.

To the OP: Tyler is growing, not downsizing, and the job market is growing right along with it.

Here are the top employers in Tyler:

East Texas Medical Center.
Trinity Mother Frances Health System.
Tyler Independent School District.
Brookshire Grocery Company.
Trane Company.
Walmart.
Carrier Corporation.
SuddenLink.

Of course there are thousands and thousands of smaller companies and businesses as well. For instance, the oil and gas sector is very large in Tyler - yes, even with the recent downturn in oil prices. In fact, I just got a message from a friend of mine who works in the employment sector and she told me that they have a TON of oil and gas related jobs that are currently open. Those pay very well.

I've lived in the Tyler area for over twenty five years. My family is not from here and we're not prestigious or "connected" and I've simply never had any trouble finding a professional job in this area, nor have I found Tyler to even remotely "feel like" a retirement - centered city. I raised my kids here and they don't think of it as any sort of retirement town either. Of course, it's not DFW or Austin or Houston but it's got lots of amenities for a small city of it's size.

Express Employment Professionals has a professional placement department. Have you tried interviewing there?
Opps, Carrier Corporation has completely closed. A year are so ago.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Denizen View Post
Thank you for the responses. That puts a lot of things into perspective.
A friend of mine in Dallas has told me, without ever saying anything to her, that she thinks the problem is I live in just too small of a town. Many people here tell me that Longview, as poor and crime-ridden as the town is compared to Tyler, has more jobs.
I know of one other guy who sent out 300 resumes. Most weren't -in person- though. He never got one response here.

I dislike the idea of moving back to a large city but if things don't get better (I'm finally throwing in the towel and applying for food stamps, I have no choice but to eat!), I may take her up on that challenge and look for a job in the outskirts of Dallas where she lives.

PS: yes, among many other places, I tried Centene, in spite of the complaints I hear from people who work there. Wasn't accepted. Yes, employment agencies as well. Most say they don't have anything. Others tell you to call in every morning (after you've interviewed) and never contact. I have timed myself on typing tests and can get into the 80 wpm range. Slower on 10-key.

PPS: Mark, I was afraid with the number of college students we have, that getting beer would be a huge problem but so far, it hasn't been.
If we ever allow hard liquor, I guess I can work in a liquor store, lol!
Longview doesn't have "more" jobs than Tyler but of course you may be able to find a job there.

By the way, have you been calling the employment company every morning? And did you take their typing test so they have your results in your file? And did you tell them that you are willing to work in Longview as well? Many of them have offices in both Longview and Tyler.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 AM

25 posts, read 24,733 times
Quote:
Good post.

For instance, the oil and gas sector is very large in Tyler - yes, even with the recent downturn in oil prices. In fact, I just got a message from a friend of mine who works in the employment sector and she told me that they have a TON of oil and gas related jobs that are currently open. Those pay very well.

?
This is great to hear. My husband was recently laid off in San Antonio from a oilfield job. I do like San Antonio a lot, but it is a big city prior to moving here a few years ago we lived on a island. I also have some vision problems and driving here is hard. I do a lot better in "smaller" more familiar places.

Anyways we visited Tyler ten years ago(time flys) and loved it. I wanted to open a business in this sort of sized city. However, didn't happen. With this unfortunate situation, I thought maybe this may be the time to check Tyler out again. My husband has a few job leads there in non oilfield related jobs but is good to hear there are still oil/gas jobs going around there. How is this so where do they frac or drill there? Is this the employment agency you mentioned on your post? Any info would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Denizen View Post
You could use that as a springboard to come back to Houston. A friend of mine was able to transfer back to the Houston office after graduating UTSA a couple years before. Welcome home Prodigal Son!

Old 05-03-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apm1980 View Post
This is great to hear. My husband was recently laid off in San Antonio from a oilfield job. I do like San Antonio a lot, but it is a big city prior to moving here a few years ago we lived on a island. I also have some vision problems and driving here is hard. I do a lot better in "smaller" more familiar places.

Anyways we visited Tyler ten years ago(time flys) and loved it. I wanted to open a business in this sort of sized city. However, didn't happen. With this unfortunate situation, I thought maybe this may be the time to check Tyler out again. My husband has a few job leads there in non oilfield related jobs but is good to hear there are still oil/gas jobs going around there. How is this so where do they frac or drill there? Is this the employment agency you mentioned on your post? Any info would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Check out Express Employment Professionals and ask for Kristie. She does the skilled industrial placement.

You could also check out the Kilgore/Longview area.

Many of the oil and gas jobs in this area are just based here, but travel quite a bit. My son in law, for instance, lives in East Texas but is gone six days and home three in the oilfield - most of their work is in central and north Louisiana.

My husband is based out of Tyler but works up in Pennsylvania.

So many oil and gas jobs around here will involve travel to places where there's oil and gas but not much industry experience. We've got the experience to send their way.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 PM

25 posts, read 24,733 times
Quote:
Check out Express Employment Professionals and ask for Kristie. She does the skilled industrial placement.

You could also check out the Kilgore/Longview area.

Many of the oil and gas jobs in this area are just based here, but travel quite a bit. My son in law, for instance, lives in East Texas but is gone six days and home three in the oilfield - most of their work is in central and north Louisiana.

My husband is based out of Tyler but works up in Pennsylvania.

So many oil and gas jobs around here will involve travel to places where there's oil and gas but not much industry experience. We've got the experience to send their way.
Thank you so much that is great to know!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler