Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 AM

566 posts, read 390,766 times

Advertisements

https://tylerpaper.com/lifestyle/hea...44caadade.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 08:45 AM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/hi...00211fefb.html

Old 04-10-2018, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Good updates - thank you!

Old 04-12-2018, 04:18 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/study-west-lo...9c64844c2.html
I knew the city of Tyler was full of bs. They just mad because an outsider is trying to do something and he don't need their help.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:14 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
This new study will likely be brought to the planning and zoning commission in the meeting to take place in early May.

Still, the developer will need, IMHO, to provide millions, at least several millions, IMO, of dollars to get the project started, that NO other city in the state, would likely NEED to require the developer to provide to the city to get this project started.

Now, Tyler will need another excuse NOT to move forward with this project, IF the developer provides the millions needed, beyond, what any city would require, other than Tyler.

Now, hold on, in defense of Tyler, their position, I do understand, with the exceptionally low tax rate, and by city legal positions, I'm not sure a "legal" agreement can actually be "made" between and city and developer, for a developer to PAY for city services, that are normally provided BY a city.

No attorney here, but IMO, I think, I do not KNOW for sure if that is what all of this "comes down to"

WILL, the developer spend extra millions, not normally required, and CAN the city enter into an agreement of that nature.

It looks like this is not dying quite yet, as many have hoped. Personally, I do not KNOW if I am in favor or against. What I do KNOW, the city is barely providing previous city services due to LACK of enough NEW property taxes coming into the city, and enough Sales Taxes coming in.

Remember more and more people shop on-line which, as of now, generally NO city sales taxes are collected on at least half of the on-line sales. Which is another topic.

Plus, Tyler can not raise taxes simply by NEED, state law restricts, the amount to a certain percent each year, 5 or 8 percent? Which in Tyler case is very little allowed increase, one or two cents per year. Again, IF Tyler even wanted to convince the public to a TAX increase. Oh, well this is a subject that really doesn't matter now. Of course, the city could have a city wide election to raise taxes ABOVE the state maximum allowed percentage each year. That would likely NEVER happen in Tyler, lol

Tyler is hoping and praying the city can raise taxes one or two cents per year for the next approximately 15 years, to a point of, then being able to offer all services at the higher tax rate.

Remember, Tyler has cut into park employees and maintenance, the safest place to make their cuts. On down the line there could be cut to police and fire protection, but as of the last several months, sales taxes are keeping this from happening. How long, I have not checked my crystal ball for the answer, lol

Oh well, I will likely attend the next P & Z meeting, but you can hear and see better the replays on the cable. But the behind the scene and mood of the crowd does not "come thru" as clearly on the cable delayed broadcast.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Yehttps://tylerpaper.com/news/local/business-group-celebrates-strong-year-in/article_b206a17e-3e9f-11e8-b932-6b1105477d1d.htmls, this is good news.

The 1500, jobs is for Sanderson Farms, as we have reported on CD. this will help the entire region not specifically Tyler, Wood, Smith counties, with some jobs just as close to Longview as Tyler, almost. But if you can count this project, as "Tyler Project, as they do" it is by far, 1,000 more jobs than any one company moving or opening a project in Tyler since the 1998 Target distribution plant near Lindale, with 1,000 jobs, made possible by Lindale's contribution, land? Whatever.

I found out much of my information about Tyler from Tom Mullins, some 20 plus years ago, I saw him in the last P & Z meeting and he said, sure the Tyler tax rate was lowed to an unsustainable low point, again, of well, but yes he does explain what his origination has preformed it's purpose. Mullins has accepted, after 20-30 years in his position that the city knows, he can't compete with job creation, but he understands the leaders know and accept this. When I first talked with him 20 years? ago, he was frustrated with no money/property to entice companies to Tyler, which is the final or last step in the "competing" process, yes later said if "they are happy with my job performance" then I am, lol

Old 04-12-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
This new study will likely be brought to the planning and zoning commission in the meeting to take place in early May.

Still, the developer will need, IMHO, to provide millions, at least several millions, IMO, of dollars to get the project started, that NO other city in the state, would likely NEED to require the developer to provide to the city to get this project started.

Now, Tyler will need another excuse NOT to move forward with this project, IF the developer provides the millions needed, beyond, what any city would require, other than Tyler.

Now, hold on, in defense of Tyler, their position, I do understand, with the exceptionally low tax rate, and by city legal positions, I'm not sure a "legal" agreement can actually be "made" between and city and developer, for a developer to PAY for city services, that are normally provided BY a city.

No attorney here, but IMO, I think, I do not KNOW for sure if that is what all of this "comes down to"

WILL, the developer spend extra millions, not normally required, and CAN the city enter into an agreement of that nature.

It looks like this is not dying quite yet, as many have hoped. Personally, I do not KNOW if I am in favor or against. What I do KNOW, the city is barely providing previous city services due to LACK of enough NEW property taxes coming into the city, and enough Sales Taxes coming in.

Remember more and more people shop on-line which, as of now, generally NO city sales taxes are collected on at least half of the on-line sales. Which is another topic.

Plus, Tyler can not raise taxes simply by NEED, state law restricts, the amount to a certain percent each year, 5 or 8 percent? Which in Tyler case is very little allowed increase, one or two cents per year. Again, IF Tyler even wanted to convince the public to a TAX increase. Oh, well this is a subject that really doesn't matter now. Of course, the city could have a city wide election to raise taxes ABOVE the state maximum allowed percentage each year. That would likely NEVER happen in Tyler, lol

Tyler is hoping and praying the city can raise taxes one or two cents per year for the next approximately 15 years, to a point of, then being able to offer all services at the higher tax rate.

Remember, Tyler has cut into park employees and maintenance, the safest place to make their cuts. On down the line there could be cut to police and fire protection, but as of the last several months, sales taxes are keeping this from happening. How long, I have not checked my crystal ball for the answer, lol

Oh well, I will likely attend the next P & Z meeting, but you can hear and see better the replays on the cable. But the behind the scene and mood of the crowd does not "come thru" as clearly on the cable delayed broadcast.

The developer has billions so providing millions will not be a problem for him. I don't understand how they say this will bankrupt the city when he will provide jobs for people that will pay taxes in the city. They had no problem with the Oak Creek development off Old Jacksonville Hwy. What about Guinn Farms off Rhone Quarters. Normandy Heights, Wellington Place, The Brooks, Chapel Woods East, the new apartments they are building off Grande. What about the new town homes on West Grande. They had no problem granting permits to those developers or any other new subdivisions I didn't name that they are building in Tyler. They didn't say that those developments would bankrupt the city. You know why. All of those developers have something in common. They are all from around this area. An outsider who has more money than all of them combined is a problem to the good ol boy system. Let's just call it what it is. He is going against the grain. Those in power are think that they are in power don't like to be challenged. They want to dictate how things are ran in Tyler.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Proposed development project could come with 'gradual cost,' rev - KLTV.com - Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville |ETX News
If that is what the development would look like well I'm all for it.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 PM

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ca...07a20154f.html

Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
Yep, about two weeks ago, I saw that sign on Broadway of this being built.

I hoped no one would report this, yes, it's "something" being built. But what a beautiful, 2 acre plot of "timber" being, most likely clear cut, to build, what !? a CAR WASH. One of the most "scenic" corners left in Tyler.

Yes, I knew one day, that VERY expensive corner of South Broadway would be "used" for something. A car wash? geez !! A "Grove" type restaurant like "The Grove" on Old Jacksonville highway just "inside" Loop 323, you know, something UPSCALE, ok, but one final, "GEEZ" !! a car wash?

Now, having said ALL THAT, lol. maybe just maybe "they" will save some of the trees, but when you save tall pines trees, they STAND tall as a group, they protect each other from the high winds, toppling them down, but when you leave a few standing, they can easily tumble over when the "strength" in "numbers" has been taken away. I've seen that occur many times.

Oh, well, this has been done all over town. I have no particular "scenic" place in mind left, that would be next
in line for this, clear cutting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler