Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Was going north on South Broadway about 3:30 PM noticed Buck's Original Shaved Ice Company, and stopped for a fantastic but way to sweet, Cherry Colada. Buck's is in now in with a "strip" of restaurants: Just South, Cheadar's, then Buck's then, I
think this was next, going North, Mikoto Ramen, Japanese, they are waiting for liquor license, looked them up on-line found Houston location, looks very nice, another Salsarita's, then Palico's Pasta, Pizza, Salad, open, large place, extensive menu, took menu, I will be back, bar, large patio, all these places have outside patios, then next was https://walk-ons.com/ Walk-On, looks like a "Hot" sports bar - to be, looks like they were taking applications, saw, people going in and out with paperwork, then there was Burger Grind, I think, then Grande. About

Anyway, since there isn't any other "NEWS" at all I could find, this to me was interesting. A couple of these places look like they ARE different "to" or "in" Tyler. Maybe, missed a place, at least 7 in a row.

The new places:

Buck's
Burger Grind
Miko Ramen
Salsarita's
Palico's
Walk-ON

All within two blocks of each other,

Hope this helps
Cheddar's as well
maybe others I missed, next to this group I listed, first.

There are three or four more on the right in front of Target, but they have been listed before as new on here.

You know, Saltgrass on the Eastside of Broadway, near Target/Walmart, as well, others as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 PM

566 posts, read 390,287 times
Tyler Morning Telegraph - UT Tyler sees record enrollment with more than 10,000 students this fall

Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Oh, sorry, do you know where Walmart is and has been on South Broadway, for years?

As you are going"down" South Broadway, from THE "Loop," means LOOP 323, a couple of miles, you cross Grande, major intersection, starting at THAT interesection, on the right, the West side of Broadway, you start with the Burger Grind, and a strip of restaurants, one after the other, ON your right. It's the third or fourth building, I think, I made this as clear as "mud".

Sorry, I made this too simple then too complicated. I'm just so familiar with Tyler, I forget ,maybe, most aren't people aren't THAT familiar with Tyler

I googled this restaurant on line, the only one I saw listed was on Memorial, a upscale part of Houston. However, they appear to be ready to open, sign on door said "waiting for liquor license".

Good luck !!
i know that area, but your original post about the location of Mikoto was so jumpy that it was very confusing as to where it was. But thank you for trying to be specific

Old 09-14-2017, 01:33 PM

Yep, "jumpy" "Kindly" defined it well. lol

Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 AM

In-N-Out Burger announced earlier this year for Tyler, not happening, at least for now. Called corporate, not in their plans.

Called Luby's who own Fuddruckers, plans off for Tyler, for now. Suppose to have been across from U.T.T. on University.

I'm sure "they" saw all the Tyler burger places closing.

I suppose Tyler is all "burggered out" right now. However, with all the closings, maybe there NOW is room for the above restaurants?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:34 PM

A POP UP type Discount Furniture "Store" opened last week in the Shops of Cumberland Road in the former Gordman's Building.

While driving thru the area Saturday, I noticed banners reading, "Discount Furniture" hanging from the building. Nothing permanent looking/appearing.

I asked the manager about the store, I was told this was a "pop up" concept store, until the building is sold or until someone is willing to pay more rent/lease they would "test" the Tyler Market for a store of this type.

The building is about 2/3 to 3/4 full of products. Each item has the price plainly shown. Manager says the company does NOT usually advertise, certainly not "widely'. "At Home" in Tyler has been, as stated, very successful without advertising, so go figure. At Home is in the old Walmart location on Troup Highway, also the former Garden Ridge store.

Also, land is being cleared for the new amusement type store, next to Burlington Coat, also more land in the middle of the development is being cleared. Much of the new construction, in the middle is empty, why more space is now needed? again, go figure.

I will see if someone notices and posts here the article today in the Tyler paper about a small new engineering company opening in town

Oh,I may be wrong, it may be Discontinued Furniture, not Discount?

Last edited by Mark Senior; 09-24-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Also, each time on Friday and Saturday nights when I driven by The Grove on Old Jacksonville Highway, east side just north of the loop, the parking lot appears to be completely full. Saw this Friday night about 10:30 as I was headed home from Rose Stadium after a football game.

So, of the "failures" in Tyler, at the present at least, this place APPEARS to be anything but that, the "happening" place in town for now, at least. What two years old?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,190,593 times
On average Tyler grows by about 1,000 a year right?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
On average Tyler grows by about 1,000 a year right?
Yep, especially in the last 6 years, no "lots" for homes in the "selling" price range inside the city limits. Growing slightly more "outside" city limits, in the county, about 1,500.

City has no short or long range plans to annex, any homes, or land, unless developer asks the city to annex the land to build houses BY the builder on his land. City requires the builder to pay for curbs and gutters and sewer and water. THEN and only then will city annex the land, AND provide police and fire protection.

You see, at .24 cent CITY tax rate, the rate is so low, lol, that the city can not build ANY infrastructure for the developer, it would COST more than could be "recovered" for YEARS, from city property taxes ON the houses built.

Most cities, that is taxpayers, would "love" Tylers CITY property tax rate, lowest of any city in Texas over 17,000. Buuuuuuuuuuut, Tyler has for the last several years, had "issues" with not enough revenues to cover all expenditures, without cutting to the "barest" of bones city staffing, postponing raises, cutting some services, this year especially, and postponing, planned capital spending, for desired projects, asked for by the citizens.

Tyler, should have been setting aside some revenue, revenue to be USED as INCENTIVES to lure companies with GOOD paying jobs to move to Tyler. Cities offers, buildings, land or CASH as competing incentives. Tyler would still have ONE of the best property tax rates, not the lowest property tax rate, but still close to HALF the tax rate of most other cities.

You see, those GOOD paying jobs, not RETAIL jobs, would have enabled those NEW employees to BUILD homes in Tyler, thus PLACING new property, the homes, on the Tylers property tax rolls. MORE REVENUE.

Tom Mullins, of Tyler Economic Development explained this whole "process" to me almost 10 years ago, he has no city incentives to "dangle" as a "carrot" to get companies to move to Tyler.

I know you did not address this but these are the reasons the growth rate, of 1,000 per year is what it is. But this is great for those who don't mind leaving Tyler for better paying jobs. We actually DO lose many college grads because of the shortage of jobs in Tyler, they ALL don't move to DFW to "party hardy", some WOULD stay in Tyler.

So, I see no change in Tylers growth rate for years to come, possibly even less growth. Maybe with all the medical changes in Tyler, more good paying jobs will be created, but still not much property available to build those homes on inside the city limits of Tyler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler