U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 48,305 times

Advertisements

Our first visit to Tyler will be in March. Although we are drawn to the potential of lake living, a draw for the kids living in Ft. Worth ;-) I want to explore all options.
My question is, does Tyler have residential areas that are within walking distance to restaurants and shops? It looks like there are quite a few historical neighborhood but do any of those have "main streets" to stroll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:33 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,590,419 times
First of all. Hope you are coming in late March or early April for the Azalea Trail Events. 10 miles driving trails. Tyler will be "greening up" not completely there yet, not until late April. Yesterday 78 degrees, one degree from tying a 120 year high.

Anyway, Tyler does not have really "main streets" for walking, downtown, or you can walk in some of neighborhoods. But mainly you are very close to walking backing, jogging trails. Rose Rudman Trails, South Tyler Trails. Drive a very short distance and enjoy! Not really many places to walk to shop or ear, but again, if you live almost anywhere in Tyler, especially South Central or South Tyler you are five minutes from much or most everything. That where I live. Snacks, comfort food at most anytime up to mid-night.

You do see many people walking their neighborhoods, in the Azalea District and Central South Tyler, inside the Loop, and much of South Tyler. Tyler information has been a lifetime hobby of mine, now 70 years old. So, if you want to hear about some things to do on visit, which, if you ask while you are in Tyler, they're things most Tylerites don't know about or have never done, lol Just email me directly. Hope this helps. I'll try to answer question or refer you to someone who might know. Best to you, Mark

Azalea & Spring Flower Trail | Welcome to Tyler, Texas

Rose Rudman Recreational Trail, Southside Park, South Tyler Trails, Tyler Texas

City of Tyler - Parks and Recreation > Park Directory > Rose Rudman Trail

Old 02-13-2016, 08:43 AM

Thanks Mark for you quick and insightful response. We will be there mid March so maybe a few things will be starting to bloom especially with the warm weather you are getting.

Our first choice will be lake property but I was also hoping for the option of living in one of the historic areas. Your info actually makes our search easier and the links are great.

Thanks again!

Old 02-13-2016, 05:03 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,590,419 times
Not real familiar with Lake Property around Tyler, but there is a good number of people who live on lakes near Tyler.

Lake Tyler and Lake Tyler East, connected by channel, are nice, lots of homes, older to newer.

Lake Palestine, which is really much closer to Tyler than Palestine Texas. Has several gated communities on it a fairly large lake.

Emerald Bay, about 15 miles, minutes, from the Loop - four land divided highway.

Emerald Bay Club - Bullard, TX

Eagle Bluff -Lake Palestine

Eagles Bluff

Hideaway - Is really Hideaway Lake - a small town recently incorporated as not to be annexed by Lindale

No city government or city taxes. Has small lakes about 3,000 population

Hideaway, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more information on google

Of course many less expensive places on the nearby lakes

I won't send any more information unless you have specific questions, glad to help, anytime

Mark

Old 02-14-2016, 08:39 AM

Thanks Mark, I've really appreciated your input.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 PM

44,788 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Hey Just-Julz!

Welcome to our little slice of paradise!

I've lived in the Tyler area for 25 years and love it. Originally a military brat and wife, so believe me, I know a good community when I see one, and Tyler really fits the bill.

I have lived in Whitehouse, in Kilgore, in Tyler, and now in Chandler (8 miles or so west of Tyler). Having sold real estate in the Tyler area for about seven years before moving to Kilgore (not a place I'd really recommend if your choices are Kilgore or the Tyler area - Tyler wins hands' down), I also have a pretty good feel for the area.

My husband and I bought our home in Chandler two years ago, after living in Kilgore for several years due to his job. When we decided to move back to the Tyler area, we had a very open mind about WHERE exactly we wanted to live. So all that's fresh on my mind. If I can help you in any way, just let me know.

We personally chose Chandler because it was close to Tyler without being in the thick of Tyler - but that's also because neither of us works in Tyler. That would have made a difference but it wasn't a consideration for us. My husband just needs to be close to an airport with his job, and in Chandler, we live 7 minutes from the Tyler airport. Five minutes from Lake Palestine. Twelve minutes from all the shopping on south Broadway, thanks to Loop 49. Twelve minutes from Fresh and three minutes from the local Brookshires. It is very convenient without being congested. Loop 49 has made a huge difference.

My parents live in south Tyler and they also love that convenience.

I used to live in the historic district, which in Tyler is called the Azalea District. (Charnwood is another part of the Historic District, as is the "Brickstreets" area.) I LOVED that area and it's got nice sidewalks, some parks, etc. and the neighborhood itself tends to be close knit. However, even though we tried, this time around we couldn't seem to find an Azalea district property that offered the parking and lot space we were looking for. But that's just us and our particular needs. You may love it. It's a gorgeous area.

Tyler is not a particularly "walkable" town - but it does have some good walking trails. In fact, my husband and I often load up our bikes (or our dogs) and drive fifteen minutes or so from Chandler, to Tyler's Rose Rudman/South Tyler walking/biking trails, which are terrific. And when I lived in the Azalea District, I walked those streets (sidewalks) all the time - I could walk for miles through that district. Not TO anywhere in particular, but the area itself is charming.

Hope this helps! If you like, send me a message - I will help answer questions you may have. GOOD LUCK. I think you will love Tyler.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 AM

Hi KathrynAragon!
I myself am a military wife. We are doing our final assignment and like you, have been and lived in many communities. On the face of it Tyler really does look like it could be a great fit for us.

Living on one of the lakes is our first choice as we are both outdoor people. However, the lakes are so close I did not want to rule out other options such as living in the thick of amenities. We just moved back to the States from Italy and being able to walk to the market, dining and assorted shops was wonderful. So I was hoping maybe there was a historic district, like in many towns that have the typical Main Street, where living on the perimeter afforded walking to town so to speak.

However, Tyler certainly is a place where there are multiple options and it looks like we will have no problem finding the right place for us. As you and Mark Senior have alluded to, and what we have found in our research, South Tyler seems right up our alley.

I am really looking forward to visiting in March! I think we will be a bit early for the azaleas but hopefully a few will be starting to peak out for our arrival. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about the Tyler area.
Julia

Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_julz View Post
Hi KathrynAragon!
I myself am a military wife. We are doing our final assignment and like you, have been and lived in many communities. On the face of it Tyler really does look like it could be a great fit for us.

Living on one of the lakes is our first choice as we are both outdoor people. However, the lakes are so close I did not want to rule out other options such as living in the thick of amenities. We just moved back to the States from Italy and being able to walk to the market, dining and assorted shops was wonderful. So I was hoping maybe there was a historic district, like in many towns that have the typical Main Street, where living on the perimeter afforded walking to town so to speak.

However, Tyler certainly is a place where there are multiple options and it looks like we will have no problem finding the right place for us. As you and Mark Senior have alluded to, and what we have found in our research, South Tyler seems right up our alley.

I am really looking forward to visiting in March! I think we will be a bit early for the azaleas but hopefully a few will be starting to peak out for our arrival. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me about the Tyler area.
Julia
I can't wait to hear about your visit! As it gets closer and as you narrow down options, I am sure that Mark Senior will be eager to help you and of course so am I. I hope you fall in love with Tyler.

Just prior to moving here, I was living in Germany, in a very walkable city, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, though Tyler does have walking trails and the beautiful Azalea district (and other areas) with good sidewalks, there's not really a good Main Street area that's got shops and close by neighborhoods.

BUT - there are some very good shopping areas. Be sure to check out Cumberland Place on south Broadway (still constructing out there but there are tons of shops already), the Oak Leaf area on south Jacksonville Highway (Fresh is a fabulous grocery store and it's the anchor store but many other businesses have sprung up around it), and the many businesses along Old Bullard Road, Rice Road, Grande, and of course Broadway.

The downtown square is very pleasant and has lots of businesses but many of them are geared to providing services for the county, state, and federal offices that are housed downtown.

If you're into antiques, let me know - good stuff abounds around here.

If you love Mediterranean food, Bernard's Restaurant on south Broadway is excellent. It's date night material - a bit expensive but beautiful atmosphere. I've known the owner for years - he's from the south of France and he is the nicest guy. You can't go wrong with anything on his menu, but my two favorites are the sea bass and the filet mignon with bearnaise sauce!

There are many beautiful neighborhoods in Tyler - catering to just about any price range and family unit. My husband and I just drive around them sometimes because there are so many beautiful areas around here. I know quite a few excellent realtors here and if you would like some names I'll be happy to give you some good referrals. They'll all be good, but some really love certain types of housing or specialize in certain needs or price points or areas so just let me know if you want some help.

And of course, don't forget the surrounding areas of Tyler - Chapel Hill, Whitehouse, Flint, Gresham, and Chandler are all close to either Lake Tyler or Lake Palestine and offer all the usual lake amenities. A bit further flung but still close to Tyler are Overton, Lindale, Hideaway (there's a lake there too), Emerald Bay (lake community too), and I'm sure I've left some communities and towns out. The first five I mentioned are literally fifteen minutes or so from Tyler.

North, east, and south of Tyler is hilly, with lots of trees. Going west and southwest from Tyler you will see the terrain begin to change - more pastures, more live oak and less pine. Oh, if you enjoy driving around in the country and seeing cute little towns, drive out Highway 64 or 31 and then get on 279 going west and go through Edom and Ben Wheeler - SO picturesque and fun (artist enclaves). Canton weekend (the weekend before the first Monday of each month - locally called "First Monday Trade Days") is a hoot and if you like that sort of thing - a huge flea market - plan your trip around that weekend. (FMTD in Canton really starts on the Thursday before the first Monday of each month, and Thursday and Friday are less crowded than the weekend days).

There's so much good Tex Mex food around here - if you like that sort of thing you're going to be in heaven.

Anyway - holler at me if you have any more questions!

Old 02-17-2016, 10:01 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,592,169 times
I'm from Tyler as well, and while Kathryn is correct about the layout of Tyler, I would also like to add that on many tracts of land heading West from Tyler, the pines don't truly begin to thin very appreciably until you're well west of Chandler, and out around the Brownsboro area, in my experience. But I personally am very fond of the Noonday/Lake Palestine/Pine Cove Camp area.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:59 AM

I guess it's all relative. I lived in the Longview area for about 8 years and there are SO many more pine trees there than in the Tyler area that it piqued my attention. I began to notice specifically how the number of pine trees declines rapidly between Longview and Canton or Dallas.

Part of the reason for what seems to be the marked decrease as soon as you're on the west side outside of Tyler seems to be that there is so much rolling pasture land that very few trees are on it - oak, pine or any other sort.

Brownsboro is less than 8 miles from Chandler and it's a beautiful drive on just about any road between the two points - lots of hills, pastures, farmland, and just generally pleasant scenery. We wanted to buy about ten acres between the two towns, but apparently everyone else thinks it's beautiful too because the land prices are steep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or