U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSylver View Post

Here's the rub, though. I've also heard Tyler, and much of Texas in general, is very conservative and very Christian. I have nothing against either, but I'm very liberal and an agnostic (in other words, not at all religious and not open to becoming so). My husband is also liberal and a wiccan. We've taught our kids about all different religions (they even attended Lutheran Sunday school when they were younger to get a taste of their grandparents' religion), but our children are not religious, either. They're also very open and liberal in their beliefs. Neither kid has a racist bone in their bodies--seriously.
You probably have made your decision about whether you will move to Tyler, but on the off chance you are still considering, I wanted to offer my experience. Although our family fit into the "conservative" description easily and found our move here to be wonderful, I have a friend who moved here during the same time frame and she had a bumpier transition. She and her family describe themselves as agnostic but probably fill the aethist-light bubble. They are also liberal. She ran into problems when she ignored the Christian labels on groups and was offended when the Christians acted like, um, Christians. She is now happier after finding her group of friends, but that first year was difficult. Her children and my children have been good friends and I know her children had difficulties at times, but again, they seem to expect others to tolerate their beliefs (or non-belief) but have little patience or toleration for those who believe differently from them.

Last time we discussed our moves, my friend was happy to be here and spoke highly of the lifestyle. She expecially enjoys the fringe benefits of a Christian community.

Hope that gives you some help. I can appreciate your apprehension since I would feel the same if I were moving into other parts of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:18 PM

506 posts, read 465,285 times
Unhappy Tyler

I've lived in Tyler so many years. My one daughter grew up there and in Chandler. We've been gone ten years so you forget all the "have you found a church home?" and, "we missed you last Sunday?" (no they didn't. It's a guilt trip thing.
Tylerites are not conservative; they just PRETEND to be so. It's a dry county but come Friday night all the singles are tanked up. It is so hypocritical. NOt to say the people aren't nice and friendly; they ARE. But "he's a Wiccan" would spread like wildfire. Very gossipy town.
LIke someone else said, if you could buy a house out in the country on some land (still Many tracts are available) and sort of keep to yourself you should like Tyler/Whitehouse. I think having lots of friends from a church is fun. I didn't go to church there and had very close friends, but just a few. I have family who don't attend church and are Very religious; they simply don't like to go.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 PM

2,670 posts, read 3,599,942 times
Have you been gone ten years? Inside the city limits I never hear this. People may invite you to church, as we think it is nice/concerned showing interest, but we don't ASK/push again. Oh, there are hipocrites just about everywhere, I Think What is a hipocrite - with dictionary - we all are, we all have a "presenting self" we all want to be thought more highly of than we should be - some of us know our many "warts" but some people point out others short cummings to make themselves feel "better" about theirs that they just rather not deal with.

Even in Dallas Houston or most any Southern/Southwest City most the people would say what the heck is "Wican" it would even have to be explained before they could be Then most would say, so what believe/be whatever you want. Your the one responsible for "you" not me.

Chandler is close to Tyler but not really "Tyler", and has grown very little, maybe partly for that reason, overly whatever.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 04-13-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 10,865 times
I moved to Dallas from Chicago 15 years ago and I have to agree I was quite shocked at how unbelievably conservative most Texans are. I have the same liberal/agnostic beliefs that you do, and it was quite an eye-opener to realize that many of the people I met centered their lives around their Baptist or fundamentalist Church of Christ communities. For Pete's sake, there are still a lot of people down here who believe in creationism!

On the other hand, you have to find your tribe wherever you are, and I have managed to find a small group of like-minded people that I treasure. If you do move to TX, I invite you to join my Facebook group, the Democratic Divas of Texas! There are a few of us out there and adding more every day!

Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,129,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linzolinzo View Post
I moved to Dallas from Chicago 15 years ago and I have to agree I was quite shocked at how unbelievably conservative most Texans are. I have the same liberal/agnostic beliefs that you do, and it was quite an eye-opener to realize that many of the people I met centered their lives around their Baptist or fundamentalist Church of Christ communities. For Pete's sake, there are still a lot of people down here who believe in creationism!

On the other hand, you have to find your tribe wherever you are, and I have managed to find a small group of like-minded people that I treasure. If you do move to TX, I invite you to join my Facebook group, the Democratic Divas of Texas! There are a few of us out there and adding more every day!
That was 15 years ago...

Texas today is inching more towards becoming a swing state than a red state.

Hell, Houston has the first openly lesbian/Democratic mayor in US history so that outta tell you something right there.

Dallas has always been more conservative than cities like Austin & Houston which aren't as centered inside the Bible Belt like Dallas is. They're right at the edge or slightly outside of. Catholicism is more prevalent in Houston & San Antonio than Dallas, which is hardcore Southern Baptist. Houston is also more diverse & people of all different religions settle there.

Houston is also a blue collar city like Chicago.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,673,882 times
Tylers not for yalll

Old 05-13-2011, 08:19 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
My wife and I are probably as liberal and atheist as you are, if not more so, and we've had no problems living in very small towns in North Florida and the Missouri Ozarks, and here in Victoria, Texas. If you expect your neighbors to be tolerant of you, you need to start out by being tolerant of them. If you don't want them telling you about their religion, don't tell them about yours.

You'll be pleased to know that about one-third of the population of Tyler has no religious affiliation, and voted for the Democrat in the last two presidential elections. So there are about 40,000 other people there like you.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:31 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,673,882 times
i would not talk about wiccanism to people cuz most people think its satanism but its really paganism....the whole horned god thing doesnt help neither does the pentagram and samhain/beltane sabbats.i may dissagree with you but this is america and your free to do your own thing.....i know wiccanism is not devil worship and i know the horned god is not satan but from my viewing of pictures i can see why someone would think he was the devil.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:54 PM

240 posts, read 469,314 times
You guys do know this thread is over three years old?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:37 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawdog View Post
You guys do know this thread is over three years old?
And the OP never came back to update us with her decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or