U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:57 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
And the OP never came back to update us with her decision!

It's only been three years. She's still thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,387 times
I'm grateful for the string and its contributors. I am a progressive Austinite with a Tyler job opportunity.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM

892 posts, read 1,597,560 times
This was a very interesting thread, even if it is old...Having been to Tyler before and can say had some pros and cons with place, I did feel the church-y vibe. I mean literally there are churches everywhere. But all the same met some really nice people too. If it was a small town I'd feel weird about the reloigious aspect, but it is not that.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 PM

343 posts, read 374,477 times
There are 2 things that I guarantee that you will find in Tyler: Churches and banks!

Having said that, I am pleased with the restaurant choices here for the most part. There are new ones sprouting up all the time as well. So many that I haven't tried.....

Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,656 times
You did suggest a few things, in a most polite and indirect way.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:23 PM

506 posts, read 464,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I wouldn't say a word about agnosticism in East Texas to anyone if I were you. Or wicca. Tyler is Huge in the Baptist Church, most people's lives revolve around church. And yes, when Anyone hears you're "new in town" they immediately ask about church membership. They want You to join Their church!!
It's the wettest dry town I've ever lived in. Half the city is drunk on Friday night--out dancing in clubs and getting bombed. Memberships? Ha. What a joke. The mayor is Paid Off to look the other way and 90% of the restaurants serve anything you want without a membership. But they're all sobered up by Sunday morning and all dressed to the nines for church.
I liked living there, basically, a little too hot and humid for me and VERY
socially conscious--that is, snobby as to where do you live, what do you drive, etc ad nauseum. And south Tyler traffic is too much if you're older; and that glare!! Oh, the sun's glare is terrible. And don't get me started on insects.....
Well, we're back just outside Tyler after nine happy years in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. Oh, how I miss that place!! It actually rains there in the summer and has cloudy days. No rain here!Lots of glare.
Tyler is "wet" now. It happened a couple years after I wrote the post, above. We keep to ourselves now. Don't care who is drinking or who is not. Sadly but not surprisingly some things remain the same: the persistent glare of the sun ; the oppressive heat and humidity; the lack of snowfall. What is good is the people are extremely courteous as always. I don't know why anyone would call tyler "beautiful." Maybe they've not seen Loveland, Colorado, Victoria British Columbia or upstate New York. But my daughter is close by with her two kids and , at my age, this is where I plan on staying. Y'all come!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:56 PM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Well, we're back just outside Tyler after nine happy years in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. Oh, how I miss that place!! It actually rains there in the summer and has cloudy days. No rain here!Lots of glare.
Tyler is "wet" now. It happened a couple years after I wrote the post, above. We keep to ourselves now. Don't care who is drinking or who is not. Sadly but not surprisingly some things remain the same: the persistent glare of the sun ; the oppressive heat and humidity; the lack of snowfall. What is good is the people are extremely courteous as always. I don't know why anyone would call tyler "beautiful." Maybe they've not seen Loveland, Colorado, Victoria British Columbia or upstate New York. But my daughter is close by with her two kids and , at my age, this is where I plan on staying. Y'all come!
I think Tyler is beautiful and I've lived and traveled all over the world. Just sayin'.

By the way, I'm very familiar with Hot Springs Village, because my parents lived there for several years. It's got it's charms, and for awhile, my husband and I actually considered moving up there - we even spent several weekends up there looking at property, and even met with a builder at HSV and discussed floor plans. But we just couldn't do it - we loved Tyler too much and when push came to shove, we decided to stay here. And within a few years, my parents moved back to Tyler from Arkansas because they missed it too much.

So there you have it - different bites for different likes!

Old 07-31-2016, 03:05 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,593,935 times
Quote:

But, gee why did you come back? Oh, kids. Yes, it has been really dry, in Tyler in particular, for the last two months, rained around us, several times. Yes, the worse time of the year. Oh, we were having much rain, and the clouds that go with it, lol, in April and May, early June.

Yes, we ask you too church, if you don't care to attend, we don't care, that is still a part, much smaller part of Tyler now.

Sure, there are more beautiful places in the U.S. But, if you look closely they have a "few" issues. But in Texas, Hill Country, and Tyler in East Texas is, beautiful, you missed the dogwoods and azaleas this spring. Other areas, North of Longview are very nice also, around East Mountain.

You missed some heavier snowfalls, 4-6 inches, 4 of the last 6 years. Not, last year, none. Oh well, you don't have to keep to yourself, you will find we want really bite you, lol, or for that matter "bark"

Tyler, grows to 200,000 or so, inside the city limits during weekdays, were too busy to be concerned. Welcome !!

I just saw this, after I responded above. I thought you sounded familiar. And sure enough I responded to you more than 7 years ago, lol. Well, we can change a little. My post changed somewhat. Maybe Chandler has changed too, I think Kathyrn, believes it has. Again best too, you. Here's the post 7 years ago.

04-13-2009, 04:35 PM

Mark Senior

Status: "Delete - Moderator just doesn't work, lol" Edit (set 9 days ago)
1,708 posts, read 2,248,254 times

Have you been gone ten years? Inside the city limits I never hear this. People may invite you to church, as we think it is nice/concerned showing interest, but we don't ASK/push again. Oh, there are hipocrites just about everywhere, I Think What is a hipocrite - with dictionary - we all are, we all have a "presenting self" we all want to be thought more highly of than we should be - some of us know our many "warts" but some people point out others short cummings to make themselves feel "better" about theirs that they just rather not deal with.

Even in Dallas Houston or most any Southern/Southwest City most the people would say what the heck is "Wican" it would even have to be explained before they could be Then most would say, so what believe/be whatever you want. Your the one responsible for "you" not me.

Chandler is close to Tyler but not really "Tyler", and has grown very little, maybe partly for that reason, overly whatever.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 PM

2,987 posts, read 2,145,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSylver View Post
...Here's the rub, though. I've also heard Tyler, and much of Texas in general, is very conservative and very Christian. I have nothing against either, but I'm very liberal and an agnostic (in other words, not at all religious and not open to becoming so). My husband is also liberal and a wiccan. We've taught our kids about all different religions (they even attended Lutheran Sunday school when they were younger to get a taste of their grandparents' religion), but our children are not religious, either. They're also very open and liberal in their beliefs. Neither kid has a racist bone in their bodies--seriously.

I don't want to stir up a huge controversy--Tyler is what it is, and I'm fine with that. I'm just worried that, given our beliefs, and even though we're pretty private about them, my family won't fit in there. Will my kids have trouble fitting into school when if folks ask them where they go to church and they tell them that they don't? Just how conservative is Tyler? I'm hoping my worries are unfounded, but I'd like to go in with my eyes open.

Thanks in advance!

Tyler is not a small town in Texas. Theres over 100,000 people inside the city limits of Tyler and more than that in Smith County. Most people aren't going to care if you're agnostic. Most people will still be your friend even if you're agnostic. What most people really care about is the way you treat them.

On the other hand, most people dont understand the Wiccan religion, and no offense, but frankly, the Wiccan religion scares the day lights out of a lot of people. Because of that, you might have problems making friends with people who are not Wiccans. But I don't think you would be harassed or run out of town for it. Friends outside the Wiccan religion just might be harder to come by, that's all.

I think most anywhere you go in America the Wiccan religion is going to raise eyebrows with the local natives, including religionists and agnostics alike. Alot of parents may not want their kids playing at a friend or classmates house whose parents are Wiccan. That could be a problem that's really unfair to the kids.

Being suspicious of Wiccans is prevalent thru out America. That attitude is not unique to Tyler.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 PM

23 posts, read 22,837 times
This thread needs more Waco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or