Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 03:18 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times

Advertisements

As some of you regular users may recall, I've been house hunting for months. I'm in the sixth month now and haven't found a house. It seems I sold my house at a time that turned out to be the lowest housing inventory in years. So all the cute houses I saw for sale in the past year and a half no longer existed, when I began my house hunting.

I'm getting desperate to buy, since I've been renting all this time and paying to have almost all my belongings in storage.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a local house (I'm renting in Louisiana)...a pretty house, but sort of far away from medical and Sam's Club and Target and such. I didn't want such a location, but if I buy here, that's pretty much the only thing nice in my price range.

The only thing with my requirements in Tyler right now is a "humble" house on Baylor in Heritage South. I like that subdivision and looked at other houses there previously, but they were further south. This house is a lower price and is further north on Baylor - gettng close to the curve as it curves to go to 69.

Does anyone know anything about that area? The houses are all very similar, so I get that they were once cookie cutter. The yards look well maintained, and I know it's low crime (heck, all of south Tyler is low crme). I'd appreciate any info or opinions on that area, if anyone has any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 06:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
That's a solid middle class neighborhood that should maintain it's value well. It's south Tyler location is a plus as well.

Are you working with a realtor who can pull comps for you?

Old 10-16-2016, 10:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's a solid middle class neighborhood that should maintain it's value well. It's south Tyler location is a plus as well.

Are you working with a realtor who can pull comps for you?
Thanks, Kathryn. Yes, I am working with a realtor. Not sure I trust her totally...she pulled comps on a house for me before. She pulled just three comps....but I knew about several others (one of the perks of watching the houses for sale online almost daily). The comps she pulled were of houses not comparable in age or size at all, but were close in proximity. The ones I knew about were just a block away, but two were comparable in age and size. So I lost a bit of confidence in her on that.

When the agent here in La. pulled comps for me, she did the same thing (pulling three comps, when I knew about 10 others that had sold in recent months).

I remember you said you'd email me an agent's name. Did you do that? If so, I can give her a call if and when I go to Tyler, which would be very soon. If you haven't, would you mind sending me a pm with her name? If you did that before...I don't remember if I cancelled that trip or what happened.

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thanks, Kathryn. Yes, I am working with a realtor. Not sure I trust her totally...she pulled comps on a house for me before. She pulled just three comps....but I knew about several others (one of the perks of watching the houses for sale online almost daily). The comps she pulled were of houses not comparable in age or size at all, but were close in proximity. The ones I knew about were just a block away, but two were comparable in age and size. So I lost a bit of confidence in her on that.

When the agent here in La. pulled comps for me, she did the same thing (pulling three comps, when I knew about 10 others that had sold in recent months).

I remember you said you'd email me an agent's name. Did you do that? If so, I can give her a call if and when I go to Tyler, which would be very soon. If you haven't, would you mind sending me a pm with her name? If you did that before...I don't remember if I cancelled that trip or what happened.

Thanks so much for the information. I appreciate it.
Just sent you PM.

Keep us posted!

By the way, you may want to consider Chandler - the prices are a bit lower than in Tyler but Chandler is only 8 miles from SSW Loop 323. You may be able to find a newer or larger (or both) home for the same price. We stumbled upon our house in Chandler two years ago and prior to finding it we hadn't even considered Chandler - hadn't even driven out here! We love it.

Using Loop 49 we can be on South Broadway at Academy or that new shopping area in under 15 minutes. It's a very quiet little suburb of Tyler. The elementary and JR high schools have above average ratings but the high school is Brownsboro and it's ratings are average. Not bad but not exemplary. We don't have kids so that didn't matter to us. If I had younger kids I'd strongly consider Chandler though - I would probably stick with Robert E Lee if I had older kids (my kids went there and it was a good high school experience for them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: