Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 14,169 times

Advertisements

So looks like we will be moving to Tyler area or maybe The Woodlands. Husband works for XTO & they are ALL relocating the The Woodlands (north Houston) by next summer. Another option we have is East Texas. I'm planning on driving out there tomorrow or over the weekend to check out some towns and just drive around. Stopping first in Lindale then going to Bullard. Those are the areas I was told to look for good schools and a good place for the kids. Can anyone tell me anything about Bullard? Any good restaraunts to stop for lunch? Any nice drives you could recommend? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Wow, weather may be rainy, but where do you live now? Confused a little, you're being relocated to EITHER The Woodlands or Tyler, you have an option of the "job offer being" in either area.

You can tell by the Tyler sub-forum much has been talked about the school systems around Tyler, Would a private school IN Tyler be acceptable? Tyler has at least six private schools. Only 5 or 6 Tyler schools would I want to recommend and only those few because they have honors programs in each school, your "child" could easily excel regardless in those programs because there is still a large enough number of students for the schools to offer those accelerated learning programs.

Many doctors and lawyers still send their children to public schools because of this, and are their children are accepted and perform well in major universities.

If you are stuck on Bullard and Lindale, Lindale folks will have to bring up the "nicer" restaurants there, things have changed quickly lately there, one I liked has closed. Bullard, not much, it so close to Tyler, just pick out something "going down" Old Jacksonville Highway, if you are coming FROM Tyler. Many choices, Jul's, oh heck I'll let others share. Burger joint, IN Bullard, downtown, is on and off good, take your chances.

Now,there are several restuarants, like The Burger Grind, a few miles, back toward Tyler, coming from Bullard. It's just North of Toll 49 on your "left" coming FROM Bullard, behind a Shell gas station, in the corner of a small strip center.

Hope you have time to respond.

What type food would you prefer?

How much time are you going to allow in the area.?

The Woodlands will impress you, really booming area and has lots to offer. So you DO, maybe need to know more about what Tyler has to offer. The Woodlands, you can readily SEE what the area is like. The two places don't really compare well. The Woodlands is more middle upper, to upper class in the majority of the city, while Tyler has complete "run" of it all, poor, middle, upper, rich, diversity, ethnically mixed, while The Woodlands largely not, with actually many more Middle Eastern, Asian folks. Depends on what you expect or need. Little industry in TW, financial, tech, upper incomes jobs.

Later

Old 06-22-2017, 03:59 PM

I see where my post is a little confusing, ha. My husbands company is moving to The Woodlands by next summer. We may have the option of going to the Tyler area which is my husbands district he is over. We won't know which place we will be moving for sure for a month or so. I just wanted to be spontaneous with my kids and go drive around and have lunch somewhere for the day. Get a better feel of the area. We live just south of Ft. Worth so it is a quick drive. We are going to the Woodlands next weekend to look around before we head out on our summer vacation. I'm not tied down to Lindale or Bullard but have researched that the schools are good and it's a nice place to live. Whitehous & Chandler were also mentioned. Depending on time we may drive through there as well.
I know they are two total different worlds. We live a little out in the country now with chickens so I know we could find something we love in the Tyler area. I love it out that way. . As far as The Woodlands there are a few small town nearby we are going to check into when we go. We will see what happens.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Oh and lunch can be ANYWHERE in that area! Tyler would be a good stop for lunch I think.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggiem4 View Post
I see where my post is a little confusing, ha. My husbands company is moving to The Woodlands by next summer. We may have the option of going to the Tyler area which is my husbands district he is over. We won't know which place we will be moving for sure for a month or so. I just wanted to be spontaneous with my kids and go drive around and have lunch somewhere for the day. Get a better feel of the area. We live just south of Ft. Worth so it is a quick drive. We are going to the Woodlands next weekend to look around before we head out on our summer vacation. I'm not tied down to Lindale or Bullard but have researched that the schools are good and it's a nice place to live. Whitehous & Chandler were also mentioned. Depending on time we may drive through there as well.
I know they are two total different worlds. We live a little out in the country now with chickens so I know we could find something we love in the Tyler area. I love it out that way. . As far as The Woodlands there are a few small town nearby we are going to check into when we go. We will see what happens.
I understand better. As I got back online and saw your response. I had a "surprising" thought, lol, or it seems to me, The Woodlands would almost most seem "glamorous" as compared to the Tyler area, kinda' shocked that "I" would see the difference as "glamorous." Difference seems to fit.

Best to you, by driving around you want see the really nice zoo, Caldwell Zoo. Don't know if you would be "into" the arts much, but the East Texas Symphony Orchestra is really nice. I enjoyed the HoustoSymphony while in Houston for 25 years, The University of Texas Tyler Cowen Center has season packages for many performance of all types that perform in DFW and Houston. You most likely won't see the lakes and parks. Tyler State Park is nice. Don't know about golfing "needs" for your husband, but top rated here.

Fishing and huntin' every direction. Oh, the mountains of Southeast Oklahoma, Broken Bow Resort area, about 3 or 4 hours away. Ozarks not much farther. DFW for your big city fix, about 2 hours away for most activities.

Plus small town "stuff" to "do" in every short drive direction from Tyler. But hope you do "enjoy" our traffic. Tyler grows to about 150,000 - 200,000 during the week, but just ten miles or so about, is country, sorta.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, what you do, even if it's next year and you chose the Houston area!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM

corrections:

almost - omit the, "most" after almost

you won't see, not want see

I enjoyed the Houston Symphony

many performances of all types

about ten miles or so "out" of the city proper

Maybe next time I will at least re-read BEFORE I post, just lazy again, lol

Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
corrections:

almost - omit the, "most" after almost

you won't see, not want see

I enjoyed the Houston Symphony

many performances of all types

about ten miles or so "out" of the city proper

Maybe next time I will at least re-read BEFORE I post, just lazy again, lol
Ha! No worries! I'm the worst. Well we drove around for hours today. Lindale, Tyler, and Bullard. I liked Lindale just fine. I just can't picture the kids and I living in Bullard, super pretty, but NOTHING in that town besides a whataburger 😬. Tyler was only 10-15 mins away but I've decided Tyler is way congested and seemed old. I don't know. I'm having a hard time with this. We will see where God puts us. Thanks for all your info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler