U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,546,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertank View Post
Mark - Question for ya.
Is there an old town district with local shops and LOCAL restaurants? If there is can you post the streets for a google street view? I could find the older homes in the Azalea District with paver type roads, but no square or historic retail district.

Would early April ok for the Azalea's? Going to Cancun the end of this month and Playa Del Carmen the end of April...

Wanderer - I'm looking for the same thing you are, same reasons, maybe we can share fence lines, I'd be happy to have a tanner guy like you next door. I'm in Austin, near Lake Travis. I love the location, but despise the local politics. Land is high around central Texas unless you go way out in the middle of no where.

Before I forget it, restaurants are a real Tyler "thing" lol, if you just google "Tyler Restaurants" as I just did, 444 restaurants were listed, not just the D,Q.'s lol. I looked up one I could not remember the name. Many people from larger cities were surprised we had, among, actually quite a few, was Lago Del Pino, another is the fairly new "The Grove". Since you are viewing city view, these two could be of interest. I could provide a list of more if you interested. A surprise, again for Tyler population size is a Texas de Brazil.

Boutiques are scattered about the town, plus in nearby towns with antique malls/shops

The Azalea Trails are officially scheduled for March 16, 2018, but "mother nature" rarely goes by the schedule set up by man, lol. This year it looks like the peak of blooms will be a little LATER, sooooooo, early April even into April 10-12 quite likely will work well. Hotel rooms should be available even for a spur of the moment trip, just not as many options, maybe, but if you are a little flexible, check the weather and chamber of commerce, by phone, to check on how the blooms are "coming along" peak, near peak, etc.

https://www.tylertexasonline.com/tyl...alea-trail.htm

Oh, touring the trails will provide at the areas they have determined as HISTORIC, so that may help you even more.

I'm going bottom to top in your list of questions, no there is NOT an old town district of local shops and restaurants. There are two planned projects in downtown for revitalization, but this does not have mega money behind it. The Liberty Hall downtown is quite good for plays, comic acts and more.

https://libertytyler.com/

Anymore specific questions about the Tyler area, email me directly if you like, I'll try to answer.

Going outside to enjoy the beautiful weather at the Caldwell Zoo, I have a season pass,Caldwell Zoo – A Natural for Family Fun getting ready to enjoy two University of Texas at Tyler softball games tomorrow, beautiful day in store before a couple of days of rain. Out of 396 schools in Division III Softball, Tyler won the national title, last year or before last. Playing a team from Illinois. Play teams from all over the country California, Washington State, Oregon. Great weather here for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:04 PM

27 posts, read 27,207 times
Yep, you've got a good picture of what it's like inside the perimeter. We had an office party in what you could call uptown at 2:00 on a Thursday afternoon at this trendy game/bar/entertainment location, place was packed, all male, 25-35, beards, skinny jeans...I mean they all looked the frickin same. I'm 55 and haven't felt so out of place since I went to visit my father in the senior care facility.

Rockdale would be okay, not too far from Round Rock. Several car dealers in or near Round Rock. It's about an hour to the airport. I would say it's a safe as anyplace would be about an hour out. Land does begin to become more affordable to the East of Austin in this area. It's in Milam county and I do not see very much AG exempt land there for some reason.

Traffic in would be what I consider heavy, but you're likely very used to that.

Unfortunately you still get Austin news and would have to figure out how not to grind your teeth to nubs.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Mark - Question for ya.
Is there an old town district with local shops and LOCAL restaurants? If there is can you post the streets for a google street view? I could find the older homes in the Azalea District with paver type roads, but no square or historic retail district.

Would early April ok for the Azalea's? Going to Cancun the end of this month and Playa Del Carmen the end of April...

Wanderer - I'm looking for the same thing you are, same reasons, maybe we can share fence lines, I'd be happy to have a tanner guy like you next door. I'm in Austin, near Lake Travis. I love the location, but despise the local politics. Land is high around central Texas unless you go way out in the middle of no where.

I read your response to another poster. I pointed out just two of the 'upscale" more mega metro type restaurants that are here. Most people from larger metros would think they would miss those here. BUTTT, if this is not of major interest, sure they are "down home restaurants" "aplenty" of course. Seems I missed responding to something else you asked, oh, the downtown was a 'square" but it was split in half nearly 60 years ago with a four lane road. Really the "square" was and oblong circle, lol

Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 PM

27 posts, read 27,207 times
Thanks Mark! Looking like we will try to make it up early April.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:23 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,719,317 times
Quote:
Mark - Question for ya.

Hello and here I am - LOL (thanks, Mark!). Yeppers, I was out of state on some business but I'm back now.

There is not really an "old town district," in the sense of a square or Main Street that's "vintage" or whatever in Tyler. We do have the Azalea District and Charnwood and some charming older neighborhoods, but our square is pretty bustling and is dominated, not by a beautiful old courthouse but by a 1960s Soviet Russia looking courthouse - Ha! Don't get me started.

Locally owned businesses, including many restaurants, are scattered throughout the metro area. Not just in one general area. Tyler is definitely an "eating out" type of town so there are plenty of local restaurants, as well as wineries, organic sources, etc.

Azaleas are a bit hard to forecast but Tyler in general is beautiful in April. I think you will be good to go with azaleas then but don't quote me on that!

Like you, we love central Texas and the Hill Country but one's dollar goes a lot farther when it comes to property up here in northeast Texas. And NE Texas has a different sort of beauty - I call it a pastoral sort of beauty. Lots of green, rolling hills and pastures and flowers flowers flowers.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 2,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykrishcko View Post
My husband and I are on the lookout for somewhere to move. Where we can settle and set roots. We currently reside in south Washington state, ten minutes north of Portland, Oregon. I am originally from Southern California and my husband is from where we're currently living-WA state.

Our future goal is to one day own a couple acres. Some property to where my husband can do woodworking and to have little livestock and crops. I've been looking at states where we could settle with warmer weather and decent land prices, maybe even a small fixer. We're not big fans of the rain here in WA so we want nice warmer and sunshine weather. My Husband works in construction and I currently work as a caregiver. To me community is very important. I would like our kids (in the future) to have a good surrounding community to grow up in. We also love the outdoors. We like to camp and be outside, something not doable in WA.

What kind of jobs are out in Tyler? How is the construction industry/employment? Our priority in our decision is to go where construction is strong. Is Tyler too much city to own land? What's Tyler weather like all year long? How's the humidity/rain? How is the community? Is there stuff to do? Things to do when/if humidity is high? Is camping and outdoor activities or hiking doable out there? What kind of age groups are out in Tyler? Also, if not Tyler where else is more suitable in Texas?

Any input or experience would be awesome!
I am a Native Texan, and after living out of Texas for 12 years (Colorado and Wisconsin), I don't care if I EVER leave the Republic of TX again!! With that said, we'd welcome you to Texas, to East TX, but I know several people who've come from the west coast, and I think it will be a culture shock. The weather, whoever suggested visiting in mid - late July, through mid-Sept, is correct. Come spend a week, learn what prime parking means, you look for shade, always!!!!! A seat-belt can be like a branding iron after sitting in the sun in a parking lot, in 105 degree weather!!! Good luck!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 AM

44,179 posts, read 35,719,317 times
OK back from being out of town (actually out of state) for awhile, and I was definitely glad to get back to the Tyler area after traveling from Ohio back to Texas on a road trip. Nothing like experiencing March in Ohio and Pennsylvania to renew my appreciation for spring in Texas.

Spring really is absolutely glorious in East Texas. February through May are some of my favorite months in this area. Well, actually October through May. Now June through September...not so great. But even saying that, I realize that it's really July and August that are the most uncomfortable, and September wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't already sick to death of the heat by then.

I'll say this about moving to Texas - it can be a culture shock. I moved here about 25 years ago and I swear to you, the whole first year I hated living in Texas. "Livestock report" - what the heck is that? And why do we need it? Yes, people really do wear cowboy clothes here - they are serious about it. (Of course, not everyone, but plenty do.) Everyone seems to drive a dang truck. Country music and Texas swing...oh my. A Baptist church on every corner or so it seemed. And what the heck is chicken fried steak? And why does just about every food type involve gravy, or bacon, or BBQ, or jalapenos - and sometimes all of those at once?

I promise you, for a solid year, I woke up every single morning hating Texas. And then one day, I just didn't hate it anymore. And then, about two years into my living here, I realized that I like Texas. And now I LOVE it. I love the terrain, I love the traditions, I love the diverse culture, I love the food, I love the music, I love the history, I love the reasonable cost of living, I love the very different powerhouse cities, I love the small towns, I love the rural countryside and the Hill Country and how East Texas is that heady mix of southern culture and Texas culture - which are not necessarily the same thing.

I just love it love it love it and will probably never live anywhere else.

That's my two cents' worth.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM

172 posts, read 545,365 times
You sound like a fairly good fit for Tyler. I have a hard time here, though I am more libertarian than liberal, and am an atheist to boot. My wife has a harder time, as she is more lefty than I am.

Having been here for over a decade, I can say there was very disconcerting culture shock for a while. It didn't sink in for a few years, but I was young, and it taught me a lot about life, people, culture, and pride of place.

Tyler is moving past it's provencial tendencies, but if you come from any major metro area, it can still feel hemmed in.

If you want that country life, though, it mitigates a lot of the negatives I listed. I first moved here with my parents, they bought an 8-acre spread south of town near Lake Palestine. That was a much happier place than being in-town, and you get to know your neighbors. People will judge you based on your merits; one of my neighbors gave me the nod of approval for "working hard, for a Californian".

The restaurant scene has been mentioned...you're basically better off learning to cook. Most are chains, and the ones which aren't trend towards the blah side.

Culturally, Tyler is going through a bit of a transformation. Last week, we attended a food truck festival in downtown; it was a nice atmosphere and generally good food. After filling our bellies and emptying our wallets, we went the half mile to a Celtic festival, a bit bare but nonetheless appreciated. On a similar note, there's a renaissance faire around 20 minutes south of town. I genuinely enjoy that one and even forgive the food poisoning I got. Near downtown is a brewpub type place. Stores only recently got the voter OK to sell beer and wine. Bergfeld Park has been the site of the city-hosted "movies at the park" affair, and this modest amphitheater is also popular for cultural festivities which take advantage of the space to show dance and music. We have a University of Texas campus here, and it is starting to attract move and more talent; I have seen Big Bad Voodoo Daddies, Penn & Teller, and The Temptations there. Clicks, a billiard hall, also pulls in better acts than you'd expect on occasion.

Last edited by jcp123; 05-19-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 05:34 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,576,453 times
I disagree with the idea that Tyler has a mediocre restaurant scene and dining options. Ive lived in Houston, which has been listed numerous times for being one of the top dining/restaurant cities in America. Houston will be hard to match for any city, let alone for a smaller city the size of Tyler. But for its size, Tyler has some excellent dining options. Ive also lived in other cities that are similar sized as Tyler outside of Texas that didnt have even half of the dining options for ethnic foods/Asian cuisine that Tyler does.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I disagree with the idea that Tyler has a mediocre restaurant scene and dining options. Ive lived in Houston, which has been listed numerous times for being one of the top dining/restaurant cities in America. Houston will be hard to match for any city, let alone for a smaller city the size of Tyler. But for its size, Tyler has some excellent dining options. Ive also lived in other cities that are similar sized as Tyler outside of Texas that didnt have even half of the dining options for ethnic foods/Asian cuisine that Tyler does.

Agreed, I didn't want to go to the trouble to list all the non-chain restaurants Tyler has, this is the impression I have and of many that I have talked with that have moved to Tyler from much larger cities.

Sometimes people that have lived here for 10 or more years just don't "get the news" of the newer restaurants that are here or really never NEW what was here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or