U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 2,792 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Tyler. He has family in East Texas. We have visited Tyler twice and it is pretty nice. He can adapt to anywhere, but I'm a city girl, if you know what I mean, so I like to have shops nearby such as Macys. Is there a Macy's in Tyler or nearby? Also what is the job scene like, any tech companies where I might be able to get a decent Admin Assistant job? I don't mean to sound snobby but I've noticed some of the east TX towns to be sort of dumpy (Longview). How does Tyler compare? It seems from what I've read the crime rate is low in Tyler. What about the neighborhoods, what would be the best neighborhood to look for a house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 04:23 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,560,751 times
Lets just see what others may say before I jump in with a long essay on Tyler. I'll try to wait a couple of days, for once. lol Where is you husbands family in East Texas? You've never been to Tyler?

What cities has your "city girl" have experience in and with? Just gives us a little better idea if Tyler would will fit, at all. Mega Metro 1 1/2 hour away, for you "big city fix" are will you need a "hit" or whatever it's called daily or constantly, if so Tyler AIN'T it, or most likely I would not be here, been there done that. lol. Congested feeling here, but not 24-7 like DFW or Houston. lol

Quick response, maybe the The Genesis Group for Admin. Tech Job? 903-787-7400 https://genesisworld.com/

Last edited by Mark Senior; 12-14-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM

17,536 posts, read 3,980,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger890 View Post
My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Tyler. He has family in East Texas. We have visited Tyler twice and it is pretty nice. He can adapt to anywhere, but I'm a city girl, if you know what I mean, so I like to have shops nearby such as Macys. Is there a Macy's in Tyler or nearby? Also what is the job scene like, any tech companies where I might be able to get a decent Admin Assistant job? I don't mean to sound snobby but I've noticed some of the east TX towns to be sort of dumpy (Longview). How does Tyler compare? It seems from what I've read the crime rate is low in Tyler. What about the neighborhoods, what would be the best neighborhood to look for a house?
what is your budget for a house,OP?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:42 PM

44,303 posts, read 35,841,586 times
Macy's shut down a few years ago - Dillards is better than Macy's was in Tyler anyway. But we have plenty of big name clothing stores around here.

Dallas is less than two hours away if you have to have a big city fix. But Tyler has a LOT of amenities.

Not trying to throw Longview under the bus, but when it comes to amenities, and just overall ambiance, Tyler has Longview beat. Not sure if this is still true but several years ago, I heard it explained like this: Tyler is 80 percent white collar/professional and Longview is 80 percent blue collar though much of that can be blue collar professional. I hope that doesn't make me sound like a snob - but it's just the truth - Tyler has a lot more of a white collar feel to it than Longview or Marshall.

There are tons of good neighborhoods in Tyler but we'd need to know more about your price range and the type of house your'e looking for before we could steer you in a particular direction.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:44 AM

9 posts, read 7,201 times
If you do a lot of high scale shopping and that's your thing, perhaps moving to Dallas might be better. Dallas and Ft. Worth are fairly close, but still a two hour drive. Tyler is way more laid back, meaning, there's not a whole heck of a lot to do here. (I know locals will argue that fact.) People are friendly somewhat, but a bit hard to get to know--unless you are a regular church goer or can establish relationships at work or elsewhere. It is a pretty town, probably one of the better in East Texas, comfortable living, if you are an outdoor type person a lot of that too.

There are a lot of nice neighborhoods, but most of the newer homes and building is south of town and that's where the growth is as well.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:29 PM

44,303 posts, read 35,841,586 times
Tyler is a wealthy town with lots of amenities and a very strong "white collar professional" culture. For a small city it's size, it offers a lot of nice restaurants and shopping but yes, for very high end items your options will be limited. But there are some good privately owned (not chains) clothing, furniture, appliance, etc stores here as well as good dining options that are not chains, as well as many in-demand chain establishments.

I haven't found the people to be "hard to get to know." But I've moved a lot in my life so I know how to just get in there and get involved and get to know people.

The growth and new subdivisions does tend to be to the south and southwest but that's getting pretty congested. There are many beautiful older neighborhoods which are retaining their property values (and property value growth) inside the loop in Tyler as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or