Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 02:30 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,052,766 times

Advertisements

The figures released May 21, 2020 for the city populations here on this website. They are for July 1, 2019 estimates. I don't have "office" not going to pay to just see these figures.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...and-towns.html

You can find all cities this is just for those over 50,000 population

What was the increase from July 1, 2018 to July 1, 2019? What were the figures for 2019 for each Tyler and Longview and what was July 2018 numbers? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 02:37 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,345,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
The figures released May 21, 2020 for the city populations here on this website. They are for July 1, 2019 estimates. I don't have "office" not going to pay to just see these figures.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...and-towns.html

You can find all cities this is just for those over 50,000 population

What was the increase from July 1, 2018 to July 1, 2019? What were the figures for 2019 for each Tyler and Longview and what was July 2018 numbers? Thanks

You don't need Microscrew Office for that. You can download the free Apache OpenOffice here https://www.openoffice.org/ or the newer LibreOffice located here https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ .

Both of these are Open Software and free. Both are as good if not better than Microscrew Office. They will open Microscrew based files.

Old 05-25-2020, 08:44 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,517,268 times
I have wps Office, which is free software substituting for MS Office. https://www.wps.com/

I also use the cloud version of Office, which is free. https://onedrive.live.com/

I also like the Google cloud office suite, on Google Drive.

To use the cloud versions, I just download & save a spreadsheet to my pc. Then drag it to my Onedrive account (or click upload), or drag it to my google Drive account & open to "save as" one of the Google Drive office programs (word document or spreadsheet).

Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,345,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I have wps Office, which is free software substituting for MS Office. https://www.wps.com/

I also use the cloud version of Office, which is free. https://onedrive.live.com/

I also like the Google cloud office suite, on Google Drive.

To use the cloud versions, I just download & save a spreadsheet to my pc. Then drag it to my Onedrive account (or click upload), or drag it to my google Drive account & open to "save as" one of the Google Drive office programs (word document or spreadsheet).

Call me Old Fashioned but I would be very careful of any "Cloud Based" software, especially anything supposedly free. Read your agreements for use very, very closely! Data harvesting is a multi-billion dollar a year business. Many of these supposedly free, cloud based software packages may well have caveats on what they can do with any data you store on their "Cloud Server" (that would include all these Google Drive type services). Creating these software packages and offering storage is not cheap and they need to make their money in some fashion to pay for it.

I looked into WPS long before but this from their site killed that concept right away.

" WPS Office Software is a subsidiary of Kingsoft Corporation, China's leading Internet services and software company."

Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are both Open Software packages that you run completely locally and are fully functional as well as much better than Microscrew Office. Since they are certified as Open Software they must write to set standards. Additionally the actual source code is available if you really want to get jiggy and heavily customize it. Also since they are Open Software they are heavily supported by the Open Software community. It's a badge of honor for the Tech Guru's around the world (programmers, etc.) to find faults with the packages and write corrections which are heavily reviewed before implemented. Corrections are usually out way faster than these other companies provide for their packages.

I've been using Apache OpenOffice and then LibreOffice when it came out for many, many years. They are very stable and well written and yes no catches to being "Free". These packages are written with actually open standards unlike the others which are proprietary. This does result in their outputs not being read fully by others such as Microscrew Office (since Office is not written to any standards except Microscrew's). However they do have export functions which convert them nicely to the other proprietary formats.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:13 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,517,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Call me Old Fashioned but I would be very careful of any "Cloud Based" software, especially anything supposedly free. Read your agreements for use very, very closely! Data harvesting is a multi-billion dollar a year business. Many of these supposedly free, cloud based software packages may well have caveats on what they can do with any data you store on their "Cloud Server" (that would include all these Google Drive type services). Creating these software packages and offering storage is not cheap and they need to make their money in some fashion to pay for it.

I looked into WPS long before but this from their site killed that concept right away.

" WPS Office Software is a subsidiary of Kingsoft Corporation, China's leading Internet services and software company."

Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice are both Open Software packages that you run completely locally and are fully functional as well as much better than Microscrew Office. Since they are certified as Open Software they must write to set standards. Additionally the actual source code is available if you really want to get jiggy and heavily customize it. Also since they are Open Software they are heavily supported by the Open Software community. It's a badge of honor for the Tech Guru's around the world (programmers, etc.) to find faults with the packages and write corrections which are heavily reviewed before implemented. Corrections are usually out way faster than these other companies provide for their packages.

I've been using Apache OpenOffice and then LibreOffice when it came out for many, many years. They are very stable and well written and yes no catches to being "Free". These packages are written with actually open standards unlike the others which are proprietary. This does result in their outputs not being read fully by others such as Microscrew Office (since Office is not written to any standards except Microscrew's). However they do have export functions which convert them nicely to the other proprietary formats.
I used to use LibreOffice, but the spreadsheet program didn't work well for me. I use hyperlinks and formulas. I don't remember now, since it's been a few years, but it didn't work well at all for my purposes. It would work fine for smaller, simpler spreadsheets. I don't recall having a problem with the "word" program part, but I use mainly spreadsheets.

The cloud is the future. It has saved me on many an occasion, since I can access my documents from a different computer. I got a blue screen on my main laptop, but I was able to access my important documents I'd saved to the cloud, thru my backup laptop. (I'd backed up my laptop to a flash drive, but it had been a month, and I'd gone through a hurricane since then, with all sorts of lists and photos of damage since then. It was all in the cloud, thank goodness.)

Google is better than Microsoft's Onedrive in some very important aspects, but Onedrive is better in other aspects. I use Google Cloud documents daily, mainly spreadsheets. It's amazing. I don't know of any other spreadsheet program that would do all that Googlesheets does, except possibly Excel...and I'm not sure Excel would link to the financial information I link to. I link to Google Finance prices, price changes, returns for particular years, etc. Googlesheets was made to order for that, since it's Google Finance I'm hyperlinking to. If I could buy a reasonably priced version of just Excel, I'd consider that, but I'd still put it in the cloud, so I can access it from different devices.

One disadvantage to Google spreadsheets is that I can't download & use it on my laptop in, say, an old version of Excel or whatever. It doesn't work. It's easier to download & use OneDrive docs on my laptop. But last I checked, OneDrive excel won't hyperlink to what I need, or the process is very cumbersome to the point of being unusable.

As for wps and China, that's up to the individual. I'll have to research that.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 407 times
Default Longview and Tyler population numbers

Not sure anyone actually answered your question:

"What was the increase from July 1, 2018 to July 1, 2019? What were the figures for 2019 for each Tyler and Longview and what was July 2018 numbers? Thanks

Longview 2018 - 81,191
Longview 2019 - 81,631
0.54% increase

Tyler 2018 - 105,668
Tyler 2019 - 106,985
1.24% increase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
View detailed profiles of: