Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 04:14 PM

176 posts, read 95,598 times

Advertisements

This is a movement that is like a fad. Didn't hear from folks for decades about these names being offensive. Heck, for example.....there's a member of our USA House of Representatives and her name is

Sheila Jackson Lee...

gasp, should she legally change her name? Does her name being on the TV screen in peoples' faces cause them pain?

This is all absurd, the tearing down statues and such nonsense.

Our history cannot be "rewritten" as Michelle Obama clearly said had to be done.

History is PAST....let's look to the future.

I dare to say that there's an orchestrated attempt to erase history.

Now, books are being socially "deleted."

What will this insanity's final destination be? Is this to brainwash future generations? Statues are a reminder of history, hmmm.

Me thinks there's a fungus among us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 03:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Well, for what it's worth, this white lady right here never did like the name Robert E. Lee High School. I knew the history of the name and when the school was built and WHY it was named that and frankly, I thought it was ridiculous and offensive when my kids attended 15 years ago.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
Deleted... Misunderstanding on my part...sorry.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 03-08-2021 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 08:00 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, for what it's worth, this white lady right here never did like the name Robert E. Lee High School. I knew the history of the name and when the school was built and WHY it was named that and frankly, I thought it was ridiculous and offensive when my kids attended 15 years ago.
I know this is an old thread, but just need to say this.... it's generally liberal WHITE ladies who are behind most of the SJW / leftist movements, NOT the "minorities" who they are representing. A NAME cannot be racist, period, end of discussion. It's a name. And of ALL the confederate historical figures to rail against, Lee is the LAST one people should be upset about.

The reality of it is, the push for name changes and taking down statues is not about racism, it's about cultural Marxism. YOU personally may agree with their stated reason, but without investigation of what's behind the movement of all this, you're agreeing to things that you aren't aware of. The conservatives warned about taking down statues and it's proven true! They've already taken down statues of Lincoln and FREDRICK DOUGLAS!! They've even defaced and called for MLK statues to be taken down. It's not about racism or good people etc, it's about erasing our history and that is NEVER a good thing.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM

223 posts, read 140,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but just need to say this.... it's generally liberal WHITE ladies who are behind most of the SJW / leftist movements, NOT the "minorities" who they are representing. A NAME cannot be racist, period, end of discussion. It's a name. And of ALL the confederate historical figures to rail against, Lee is the LAST one people should be upset about.

The reality of it is, the push for name changes and taking down statues is not about racism, it's about cultural Marxism. YOU personally may agree with their stated reason, but without investigation of what's behind the movement of all this, you're agreeing to things that you aren't aware of. The conservatives warned about taking down statues and it's proven true! They've already taken down statues of Lincoln and FREDRICK DOUGLAS!! They've even defaced and called for MLK statues to be taken down. It's not about racism or good people etc, it's about erasing our history and that is NEVER a good thing.
Whose history is being erased?

Old 09-09-2021, 11:33 AM

1,187 posts, read 994,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Whose history is being erased?
America's history is being erased.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:57 PM

223 posts, read 140,741 times
Quote:
America's history is being erased.
America's history is not being erased.
Robert E Lee was a traitor that fought against the United States of America.

Why should a traitor be honored in the USA?

Do we have monuments of Osama Bin Laden, or high schools named after Hitler?

Old 09-10-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm a conservative white lady. Just so you know.

And a name can definitely be representative of a racist agenda. And Robert E Lee, while not one of the worst, was frankly no angel when it came to slavery.

History isn't being erased - calm down.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:55 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
America's history is not being erased.
Robert E Lee was a traitor that fought against the United States of America.

Why should a traitor be honored in the USA?

Do we have monuments of Osama Bin Laden, or high schools named after Hitler?
The civil war is part of our history. That someone was on one side or the other of that conflict is irrelevant to their historical significance.

I remember 20 years and one month ago. A month before the 9/11 attacks, there were stories in the paper about the Taliban destroying Buddhist monuments and statues.

If you'd expect that the reasons for that and for what's happening now are different, you'd be wrong. in both cases, an old society was being destroyed so a new one could replace it, and in both cases, it's to remove the ideas which make people strong. Strong people fight back against tyranny.

Old 09-12-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The civil war is part of our history. That someone was on one side or the other of that conflict is irrelevant to their historical significance.

I remember 20 years and one month ago. A month before the 9/11 attacks, there were stories in the paper about the Taliban destroying Buddhist monuments and statues.

If you'd expect that the reasons for that and for what's happening now are different, you'd be wrong. in both cases, an old society was being destroyed so a new one could replace it, and in both cases, it's to remove the ideas which make people strong. Strong people fight back against tyranny.
And treason. And racism.

Talk about whitewashing history!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler